Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Posted May 23, 2016
I am a grandparent of three students who attend Academy of the Americas and have had nothing but positive experiences during my visits. Students, teachers, support staff, and parents are kind, caring, helpful, and respectful. It is clear they have a strong commitment to, and deep concern for children. Ms. Salazar, Ms. Sosa and Officer Cowen's are AMAZING!!!!

Posted December 07, 2015
My son has been here a few months so far. I like his teachers. They seem to be really caring. The biggest plus is that his Spanish is getting better everyday. He really is happy and enjoys his teachers. I do worry that the school seems a little unorganized. I don't feel very involved or like I'm given the opportunity to be involved. I attended one title 1 meeting that was conducted only in Spanish. Not helpful for or inclusive of English speaking parents. As a working parent I would like to feel like the teachers are reaching out to me more. I find out about events very late or from other parents. The school/teachers should utilize their parents as much as possible. There should be a steady stream of communication. The biggest downfall is that this building is so out of date it's ridiculous. The school is a maze! I really hope that they never need to evacuate. It's time to build a new school! I don't even understand how the school is able to function in this building. I see all these schools being updated by DPS so what's going on with AOA. There's no way that the current building can also accommodate the growing high school grades they plan on adding each year. The kids deserve a safe, up-to-date school. The current building is outdated and not functional.

Posted December 31, 2013
The Academy of the Americas is an excellent school. Our daughter is now in 6th grade and has been there since kindergarten. She has had caring teachers and excellent achievement all the way through, while learning Spanish from native speakers. The best thing about AoA is the family like atmosphere, which is very welcoming and friendly.

Posted April 17, 2013
This school teaches in Spanish.My son has been here since kinder, last year, he speaks fluent Spanish, he reads, writes and speaks it as well.. I love this school....

Posted April 19, 2010
My children have at this school for one year. Their teachers have been great. The teachers care for the children as if they are their own. We have a great relationship. The majority of the children come from spanish speaking homes. My children are fully immersed in Latino culture.

Posted October 13, 2009
It is the only school in Detroit that teaches children to both read,write and speak Spanish. By the time students graduate they are fully bilingual. The staff and the parents are really dedicated to helping the kids succeed. I think this schools hidden gem. Parent bring their kids from all over the city just so that their kid can graduate bilingual.

Academy Of The Americas

Posted June 13, 2008
I have been a teacher for the past 3 years at this school. We strive to do our best with what the school district provides for us. We have to get out of pocket monies to buy materials (hands on, posters, games and such). So if anyone is to blame is not the teachers or school administrators. Is the Detroit school district for not providing the funds needed for those items. Our school does reach to the parents and comunity and we do care very much about the success of our students from pk to 8th grade.

Posted April 13, 2008
I'd just like to make note that the parent who stated that AOA has not made adequately yearly progress is incorrect. The school has successfully made AYP and will continue to do so with the support of its students, parents, staff and administrators.

Posted December 05, 2007
I have had 3 of my children attend in previous years and now a small one, I love the school and the standards are higher than most schools which is a wonderful thing, But the teachers have a attitude towards parents as though we didnt care for our children they ask for help from parents but parents voices are not heard. The principle seems to act on what teachers or office aids say like she doesnt have any authority. AND its all a shame because its such a wonderful school I hate it that parents dont have any say in what goes on in the school. Most schools are hungry for parent participation involvement! One thing to stringley consider before sending your child here is if your child is started in spanish and you later decide to change to another scho ol the language makes it the transition very hard

Posted March 13, 2007
I currently have a PK/K children in Academy of the Americas. I must say the level of professionalism of school normal operation and the dedication to students is outstanding. My children love going to school and always come back home very happy. I highly recommend!

Academy Of The Americas