Foreign Language Immersion And Cultural Studies 4

Posted September 13, 2014
MY 10 YEAR HAS BEEN HERE SINCE 1ST GRADE. CHINESE LANGUAGE WE LOVE IT. THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE IS THE PARKING LOT AFTER SCHOOL, OTHER THAN THAT THE TEACHERS R WONDERFUL, THE STAFF WONDERFUL, AND EVEN THE VOLUNTEERS ARE RESPECTFUL AT ALL TIMES. I HAVE YET TO MEET THE PRINCIPAL BUT LOVE THE ASST. GREAT DPS SCHOOL

Foreign Language Immersion And Cultural Studies 4

Posted April 17, 2014
My children have been attending FLICS since 1998 & we are so proud of all the postive changes to the program & building location that have occured over these years. My youngest child is currently in the Spanish program (since Kindergarten) & is flourishing at FLICS. She is the current School Body President 'Elect' which has afforded her many opportunities. She was recently an inductee into FLICS first class of National Junior Honor Society members!!!! FLICS has helped me to cultivate my child & expose her to politics, community service, news & media, arts/music (string orchestra), and athletics (cheerleading). BRAVO FLICS :-.)

Posted September 08, 2013
My daughter have attended this school since Kindergarten & she has the best teachers in the country. They pay very close attention to thee children individually and as a whole class. The principal is awesome as well as the Asst. Principal! I love this school & my baby will be here until she graduated 8th grade! FLICS is awesome!

Posted July 26, 2013
I have went to F.L.I.C.S for five years from Kindergarten until Fourth grade. This school gives all students good education. I was in the highlight language Japanese because it is my couture. Japanese is the most recommended language in this school. I loved this school and my grades stayed with straight A's. This will be a good school for your child I myself recommend this school to parents around the district looking for a school for your child/children. It's a good school. It challenges students and increases G.P.A'S.I LOVED THIS SCHOOL! Sadly I had to leave it I was going to go to the school this year but I am going to John D. Pierce Middle School this year. Yet again I recommend this school to all parents looking for a school for your children. BEST SCHOOL EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Foreign Language Immersion And Cultural Studies 2

Posted May 06, 2013
Is a very good concept, however my daughter grades have dropped dramatically this year. Her grades are so low that she is been expelled from the school due to her academic G.P.A. Which would be understandable if she just not able to keep up with the curriculum. However, this is not the case. This is her 3rd year at FLICS and she enjoys learning Spanish. I feel that her grades have dropped due to lack of extra curricultives, she has not had gym in two years and no type of elective this year. Students can not function/grow academically correctly without some kind of cool down. It's sad that my daughter have to leave FLICS for something she neither had control over or understanding. In hope they get their act together, because for the most part the teachers are great and being bilingual is a huge advantage.

Posted October 24, 2012
I have two children that attend FLICS. I am very satisfied with this school. I was plesantly surprised from day 1. Judging from my eldest daughters 1st DPS school I was so ready to abandon DPS, however FLICS is great. The parent involment is awesome and I feel this is what keeps its standards up. I have one daughter in 3rd grade speaking french. My other daughter is in kinderdgarden and learning Chinese. Huge thumbs up for FLICS! More importantly to the overwhelming positive parent involvment! This school seems to be better than any charter & most private schools

Foreign Language Immersion And Cultural Studies 3

Posted September 27, 2012
My daughter is in the second grade and has been at FLICS since last year. The school is ok as far as academics ,but she had no gym class at all last year and only goes to gym twice a week now. I dont like the fact that the middle school children come in and exit out the same door. This year they installed a metal detector for 6th grade and up . I as a parent must walk thru it as well. Last straw . I do love the fact that you can drop your child off as early as 7:30 am for working and school bound parents this is great . They also have latch key. However the parking for pick up is an absolute mess.

Foreign Language Immersion And Cultural Studies 3

Posted August 26, 2012
This is the first year that I have considered sending my daughter to an another school. She has attended FLICS since kindergarten. I love the fact that the students are immersed in a second culture and language, but I am saddened by the lack of organization and lack of ability for some teachers to control their classroom. This is especially noted once my child entered middle school. My daughter loves the language and skill she has acquired by attending FLICS, but acheivement in her primary language skills (reading, writing and science) are below average. Like all Detroit Public Schools, teachers are not guarranteed for the following year. This is a hinderance to teacher student learning. I wonder if this school would be more effective if it were a Charter School? I do commend the principal for trying to improve communication between the school and parents!

Posted August 02, 2012
Filcs prepared me for things I never could get out in the real world with the foreign The Japanese language was one off the best structured languages and at the end you see that flics is more than a school I t's a family.I am porud to say I'm a firebird!

Posted April 25, 2012
My daughter is a graduate of FLICS, having spent K-8 at that school. She excelled in the environment and many of her classmates as well have done excellent. Her exposure to Spanish early has lead it to a mastery of it...as she is now in high school (Cass Tech) has skipped a year of the language, and will be in AP Spanish in the fall. While doing well in the language consistently, She has maintained high marks in all other subjects, including math and science, as her FLICS teach really inspired her at the middle school level. Her class mates also populate the top high schools- Renaissance, Cass, and several private High Schools, as well as public high schools in high performing suburban districts. I cannot say enough about the staff and parents there at FLICS. To any one considering it, ask yourself what the world will be like in 30 years, and how valuable a second langugae will be to your child's adult life.....

Foreign Language Immersion And Cultural Studies
6501 Outer Drive, Detroit, MI  48235
Last modified Foreign Language Immersion And Cultural Studies is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Foreign Language Immersion And Cultural Studies Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 57 reviews. Top