Posted February 15, 2012
Parents are being isolated from the school. Administration has 0 response to the students and oarents needs. Very bad school.

Oakland International Academy - K-1 2

Posted February 15, 2012
I heard from my friends ..they are parents have kids in this chool that THE SCHOOL BOARD DOES NOT REPRESENT THE COMMUNITY i.e the members of the board are from far away distance , from far cities ...they are not living among the school community...

Posted February 15, 2012
I would like to mention that we now have a new principal at the school who takes time to listen to the students and is involved with the parents her I WILL TAKE MY KIDS TO ANOTHER SCHOOL

Posted February 14, 2012
This school is a disappointment. I went to it for a few years and was never challenged enough. The teachers aren't qualified. They don't have any labs. They did try to make a lab but it was really and empty room. They don't have extra curricalums and advanced teaching. Compared to other schools it isn't worth going to. Poor school and class mangements. I feel so sorry for the students that are thinking of finishing their highschool there because they'll graduate to Mcdonalds or a gas station. The kids don't get all the texts books they need. They get copies on papers. They keep changing the teachers and staff members and they change the principal almost every year.

Oakland International Academy - K-1 5

Posted November 18, 2011
Excellent school. great staff and nice principal. You can not tell that this is a school in the middle of detroit. I am pleasently surprised at the school building and all the books and computers they have. the teachers wear these microphones that are hooked to a classroom sound system so all kids can hear. they all work in small grioups and use so much fancy tools to teach. They also have new books and materials and my children are learning. The only problem is too many letters and phone calls to home, they tell us too much stuff about the school.

Oakland International Academy - K-1 5

Posted November 18, 2011
This is a very good community school. It offers a good solid education program. The teachers are ver energetic and engage the students. The classroom size are small compared to other schools. They have a lot of technology based instructional resources.

Posted May 03, 2011
Yes, a small school...but no effort of improvement. The school does not offer any AP and Honors classes. It does not have any (Speech and Debate) program. The school does not offer any athletics program, or clubs that you can join. My child as said lately they even canceled all the field trips. They are not hiring a quality teachers or staff.

Posted May 03, 2011
The school does not really care about what parents thinks . School is falling down very badly and no one cares every time we get used to a teacher they just fire them or let them go. I do not recommend it.

Oakland International Academy - K-1 3

Posted September 18, 2009
Hello, To the community, students, staff, and future families seeking a great school. I apologize in advance for any prior negative experience you had with OIA. As a current teacher, I have not seen any signs of racism within our build (thus far). Everything starts with respect and leadership. Our principal is great at listening to the children, families and staff. As a teacher we have planned lessons using models like SIOP, Lucy Calkins Writing..., and that each lesson implemented is modified for individual learning styles. We are on task with LA, Math, Reading,Writing, Specials and more. 'Every day millions of students arrive at American classrooms in search of more than reading and math skills. They are looking for a light in the darkness of their lives, a Good Samaritan who will stop and bandage a burned heart or ego' Jim Trelease. Let us make a change.

Oakland International Academy - K-1
6111 Miller Street, Detroit, MI  48211
Last modified Oakland International Academy - K-1 is a Charter school that serves grades K-1. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oakland International Academy - K-1 Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 32 reviews.