Macdonald Middle School 3

Posted May 15, 2012
I have mixed feelings about the school. There are a few excellent and dedicated teachers in math, performing arts and previously in English. Science is weak, and English is extremely weak. Seems to be a safe environment and the principal is very energetic.

Posted May 08, 2012
An excellent school - a private school quality in a public school. This is my 2nd child to attend this school and there have been many improvements over the last few years. It is a safe, caring and nurturing environment (in as much nurturing as middle school years can be!) The student body seems to be very tolerant of other cultures. The school is run well by experienced administrators and faculty. We have found very caring and hard working teachers. The orchestra and band programs are phenomenal with new leadership; they encourage outreach and class trips to go see Yo Yo Ma in Chicago! Middle school years are hard on the child because they are trying to figure out where they fit in the world but this is an excellent school (and an excellent school district in general!) to help them along their journey.

Macdonald Middle School 4

Posted November 04, 2010
My kids attended MacDonald from 2004-2008. The positives: the team teaching concept seems to be fairly effective (1/2 the grade shares 4 core subject teachers, the other 1/2 shares the other 4 core subject teachers.) Language teaching is fairly strong (French, Spanish). Music program has been uneven due to transitions between teachers, but now I hear it is solid and strong. The building facility itself is perfect for the 7th and 8th grades. No overcrowding anywhere.

Macdonald Middle School 0

Posted September 15, 2009
My daughter goes there and loves it. In 7th grade, there were no problems. She admired her teachers and did well. Now as an 8th grader, she still is doing well. The school is beautiful now that it has been refurbished.

Macdonald Middle School 1

Posted March 26, 2008
Some teachers are great, and others are extremely bad. The extremely bad include teachers in English and Natural Science who disrespect and mistreat students and/or quite indifferent to their achievements. I wish my kids would not have gone there. And the principal lacks total leadership. Disappointing

Macdonald Middle School 1

Posted March 21, 2008
I sent two daughters through this school between 2003-2006. I must say, it was the worst school experience in either of their lives! Middle school is hard enough socially, so when you add in incompetent leadership and inconsistently enforced standards, it's downright maddening. Some teachers and counselors were very committed, and others were downright callous and uncaring. If I had known then what I know now, I would have never sent my daughters to this school. And I will not be sending my youngest child there.

Macdonald Middle School 3

Posted January 29, 2008

Macdonald Middle School 2

Posted September 03, 2007
Academics varie a lot in MMS depending on each individual teacher. The elective courses offer a scarce variety, and there is no longer gym or sports! It offer 2 foreign languages for the 2 years, which I find it great preparation for HS. Actually the foreign language instruction is the best asset in this school.

Posted February 09, 2007

Posted September 22, 2006

Macdonald Middle School
1601 Burcham Dr, East Lansing, MI  48823
Last modified Macdonald Middle School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Macdonald Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews.