East Detroit High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 1301 students

Posted May 12, 2014

This school is absolutely awful. Teachers do not know how to control the students and the students are now running the school. What should not be acceptable behavior has become acceptable. Swearing at teachers, being unruly, and fighting is a normal. There is absolutely no respect, and the distractions are unfair to the students trying to learn. Beware!

Posted April 24, 2014

I have you all beat I went there from 1966 to 1970 when it was only from 10th,11th, and 12th grade. For the legnth that I was there I never heard or saw a fight in or out of the school. As for the education Alot lot of students from that year went onto clooage and university atthe way from Wayne State to U of M and Michigan State.

Posted October 10, 2013

The Administrators have ruined a good school. it is a bunch of scared unhappy people working there and the building is falling apart and dirty as can be .
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 14, 2013

What a disgusting school, so glad I graduated. Crowded classes, they often run out of desks and need to borrow some from other rooms.. Kids here don't care about learning, they don't care about homework.. all they wanna do is fight fight fight. Seriously, I am not exaggerating when I say there is a fight at least every other day. The popular "fighting" place is outside after school, in front of all kinds of stores! I feel bad for the stores because it makes them look bad. Kids are rude, so much bullying and have no respect for others. They stand in the hallways in groups, blocking your way but they don't care. They give you dirty looks when you try to go past them.I learned nothing here, do not send your kids here.. seems like even most of the teachers have given up. it really gets worse every year. Should be shut down.

Posted August 4, 2013

Continued scandal and corruption has made this district into what it is today! It is headed down the same road as Inkster. Unfortunately the teachers suffer and get punished for poor leadership and lack of administrative support. Careers of great teachers have been ruined by the ineffective and corrupt leadership from the BOE, Super, and teachers union. As long as the people at the top continue to make their money is all that matters. They don't care about what is going on at the high school and it is evident. Students run the building. Repeat offenders get "sent home for the day". No handbook rules are followed and when a teacher tries to reinforce, the students tell the teacher to F off! It's just a social event, no learning can take place because the teachers can't get the students to shut up and listen! No tactics work, they won't even respect military personnel as guest speakers. Parents are not supportive and make excuses that will eventually lead to criminal behavior for their child in the future. The lucky students and staff have gotten out! I feel badly for those who are stuck! Every staff member is stressed. Low morale in every building in district.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 25, 2013

This school is terrible. There is so much drama. I only went there one year and I wont be returning next year.

Posted January 17, 2013

Completely terrible school. When I was a student there I was flat out told by counselors and teachers to drop out because they felt as though I was not bothering to apply myself. It was a frustrating four years there where I was told time and time again that I just wasn't someone to waste their time on, to the point where one teacher rearranged his classroom by gradepoint average and placed me in the back of the classroom where I couldn't see the board. After finally taking their advice, I switched to a new program and found out that I had undiagnosed, but easily identifiable ADHD. Thanks for making me waste four years of my life and leaving me with near crippling self-esteem issues, EDHS.

Posted July 28, 2011

i graduated in 2008 and i do have to say that the school has its problems there are no gangs and they may be a little strict but if you follow the rule it wont be a problem out in the real world you have to follow rules why not start it in high school! i love most of my teachers learned a lot from them. never did i feel unsafe at school it was my home away from home.

Posted April 17, 2011

My Son is just finishing 10th grade at EDHS. The teachers have always been very helpful, it is a great idea to have confrences with the progress reports, so if there is a problem, the student has time to bring their grade up before card marking. I get phone calls if my Son is tardy or absent. There are plenty of sports and afterschool activities to keep the students busy. There is a pay to play fee for sports, it is only $50..no matter how many sports they are involved in, I understand most schools are at LEAST three times that, with a fee for every sport! I love the fact that most teachers know the students by name passing in the hallway, it is a great school...I am a proud parent of an East Detroit Shamrock!!!

Posted August 16, 2010

i love edhs the principal is wonderful the other reviews have a problem with the special ed that is not the high schools fault (your child has developmental issues the school is hard and special ed has to take the same tests as everyone else that is a state law) the principal goes out of his way for the students and has periodical principal parent meeting all year . I remember a couple of years ago i was the only parent at one meeting . but the parents have to help the teachers , East Detroit is a oldie but a goodie

Posted March 24, 2010

I am a January 2010 graduate. Even with an extra semester, I had teachers pushing me. The teachers here all want the student's to succeed and they do the best that THEY can do to help them. Yes, ED has its problems, like every school, but, you make any school what YOU make it. Everything needs a positive attitude at first. I met some great people and teachers at this school and would do it all over again.

Posted January 13, 2010

The classes are good the teachers listen and help. The only bad thing is ever since the 09 bond was passed many personal choice classes have been cut. other then this security is tight and the school helps you learn you are not always going to like who they work with. 2012 baby!!

Posted November 4, 2009

This school is what you and your child make of it. If you as a parent don't feel that your child is getting what they should then go to the next person up the chain. You only have yourself to blame if you don't follow through. The teachers are there to teach but the responsibility is not just theirs. You as a parent need to be involved also, even more so if your child is in special education classes. Any school is what you and your child make it. I have had at least 1 student at EDHS each of the last 8 years and I still have one more that will start September 2012. Control as much as you can who their friends are and where they go and what they do. Become as involved as possible in their academic lives. This can only help! Brynaert

Posted October 3, 2009

Love the beautiful 'Old' section of the school, The modern new sections and Mac based computer labs. Friendly teachers. I am proud to have been a Shamrock.

Posted August 29, 2009

This school is full of spirit and the staff is amazing... Like all schools it has its fair share of problems but everything else about the school makes up for it!!!

Posted July 10, 2009

I love East Detroit High School. There is nothing anybody could tell me that would change my mind. All of the teachers care about the students, as do the administrative staff, even the secretaries. I think that people that say the staff doesn't do anything but sit and wait for a paycheck are compeltely wrong. Just because the administrators aren't around parading their hardwork doesn't mean that they are not doing anything at all. They don't have to explain to every student their job, and I trust them completely. Also, there has never been a time that I've ever felt unsafe. I've read numerous reviews where people say there is too much violence. Really? When? Possibly one time? Other than a few fights, which no high school can say it is without, ED does a great job of keeping the school safe. Also, the band and art program is great.

Posted May 16, 2009

I was a student at East Detroit and graduated in 2008. I must say the reviews that some people are saying are absolutely ridiculous. Yes, it is not the richest school in the metro-Detroit area but there is nothing wrong with it! Everyone has complaints about their school. Do not listen to the people that are not sending their kids here just for the simple fact that it has the word 'Detroit' in the name. I had an excellent time in all my four years here, made many friends and joined a lot of clubs. There as good teachers as well as bad ones, just like in any school. But I found that I learned a lot in this school and it prepared me very well for college. There are no gangs, no weapons, and I never felt unsafe or threatened in any way. I had a fun time here.

Posted May 5, 2009

This is the worst district I have ever seen. Poor special ED, poor everything. My son is going there now and will not be back next year. I do not know one parent who is happy with the direction this school has taken.

Posted April 26, 2009

I can truely say that EDHS has no idea how important our children education is for the future. I wish I never enrolled my son inthe school district, their point system discriminate all races and disabilities. The special education services has no support structure for children in their disabilities.Don't register your child here if you want them to have a future.

Posted March 22, 2009

I go to school here now. I do not like it at all i wish my parents would put me in a new school or something. I feel very unsafe and feel like they could do much better. They put like 100 sec. Gards in that school and it doesnt make it any better. I absolutly hate it..!! Everyone there is a joke.!!!!!!!

Grade level

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 26% in 2014.

359 students were tested at this school in 2014.

2014

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Source: Michigan Department of Education

Math

The state average for Math was 29% in 2013.

245 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2013.

247 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 26% in 2013.

245 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 38% in 2013.

247 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 50% in 2013.

248 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Michigan used the Michigan Merit Examination (MME) to assess students in grade 11 in reading, writing, math, science and social studies. The MME is a standards-based test, which measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Michigan. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, the Michigan State Board of Education implemented new definitions of what it means to be proficient on the MME test. In addition, they have recalculated past years' results using these new standards for proficiency, making the above year-over-year results comparable.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Michigan high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

African-American 63% 18%

Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

• Mrs. Mary Finnigan
Fax number
  • (586) 533-3709

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education