Eastpointe, MI

Kelly Middle School 2

Posted August 15, 2014
I understand why the enrollment & overall quality of East Detroit School District is failing. I have seen advertisement on the side of DDOT buses as well as signs in some of the worst Detroit neighborhoods. It clearly reflects the overall district attitude. Many teacher in this District don't care; it's just about the check to them; there is a lack professionalism and censorship on the kind things to say in front school age children regarding their classmates. Furthermore, student safety isn't clearly enforced so the anti-bullying policy are a joke. The parent involvement is generally low but most teachers seem thankful that parents aren't active. The student body would probably cause a culture shock to the average incoming sixth grade student; that's not use of dealing with violent attitudes and gestures on the regular basis. Bullying is everyday life for many children with very little help from administration. The expectation is the annual anti-bullying rally; great picture opt for the school. Overall, I'm in the process of removing my child from District. I suggest you carefully examine your options before enrolling your child.

Posted June 05, 2014
My daughter went to this skl for 8th grade. I would not recommend this school to anyone. The main focus is on behavior, not on academics. (Behavior is important) The schools has little to no extracurricular activities. There is no 8th grade graduation and there was only one parent/teacher conference. In my opinion that is absurd. In order for me to meet teachers I wld have to make appts with each individual teacher. My daughter also complained about the social studies teacher who mostly showed movies opposed to teaching the children different lessons each day. She also says he refused to do a Black History Project because he did not believe in Black History Month. While Eastpointe is a great neighborhood, the school district sucks as a whole. I have no intention on sending my child to the High school. Kelly ranked in the 6 percentile of statewide schools, while EDHS was in the 3 percent range. (https://www.mischooldata.org) Kelly needs better leadership and new plans on how to run the school successfully.

Posted November 11, 2013
I am a former student at kelly middle schooI. I think kelly middle school is a excellent school. The fighting part is actually true but on the other hand most teachers are very helpful and caring they do teach you the things you need for highschool. And all allegations about bugs and other things i think are really untrue.

Posted July 05, 2013
I really love that school but threre is a lot of fighthing so before u go there learn how to fight.

Posted April 17, 2011
they charge u for books and then you never get money back when you leave the school and not in that area anymore. teachers seem to not care or help with my son.

Posted February 06, 2011
Kelly is an amazing school. I went there for 6th and now 7th. I was on student council both years. I pleayed basketball and volleyball and was the wrestling team manager. I have all a's I think the school is amazing i love all my teachers and the kids are great. its a good school so send your kids here!:)

Posted December 02, 2010
They don't give much help for children that are in special ed. math. Two of my kids had the special ed. math and didn't excel or learn much at all. I had 3 different teachers single out my daughter! One of them had her suspended for writing on another students arm, which he asked her to draw a horse on. Her special ed. math teacher called her ignorant 7 times in a row right in front of the entire class! The school was notified of this and did nothing about this harassment. That was very humiliating and embarrassing to my daughter. These teachers are there to teach, not harass the students. The computer teacher called her into the hall to ask her why she was wearing makeup! The woman who runs the front desk is rude to the kids. The school bus is cram packed with kids who have to sit 3 to a seat and the bus stinks very bad. Also, one of my child's classes had a mouse in it and another class had bugs up in the light that looked like roaches. My child also had problems with some other students bullying her and that was never taken care of. If your child is not a teachers pet then they will get treated pretty badly. I would NEVER recommend this school to anyone.

Posted January 26, 2010

Posted September 16, 2009

Kelly Middle School 3

Posted August 25, 2009
I am now sending one more child on her closing journey threw Kelly with the start of 8th grade. This is about,9 years worth of Kelly education, I have seen some fantastic teachers leave along with their programs. In all schools there are things that need to be changed ,Kelly is no exception, But get real its all in the money. Are meep scores are not where they should be. That is my concern. And by they way my kid has had purple hair and carried a 4.0. Its not in the dress code.

Kelly Middle School
24701 Kelly Road, Eastpointe, MI  48021
Last modified Kelly Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kelly Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top