No rating

St Peter's Lutheran School

Private | K-8 | 21 students

Living in Eastpointe

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $60,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $760.

Posted May 15, 2014

I have mixed feelings about St. Peters. Both my children started daycare and pre-k there and had a wonderful experience. They were all very kind and very accommodating. I continued to send my children to their K-8 schooling. Their rules are very 1960's and nuclear family thinking and not very accommodating for a single working parent. They require lots of school involvement most of which is during the day, obviously not good for a single working parent. They watch the clock to make sure you're not late (yes, the parents) and mark you up if you're a second late, but if you arrive ahead of time they're not always there to accept your child even though they say you can bring them in 15 minutes before first bell. I think education they receive is good, but if feels almost too conservative and strict.

Posted April 21, 2014

Our daughter started the 7th grade at St. Peter s for the 2013/2014 academic school year. St. Peter s has proven to be a great school offering a Christ-centered education with a curriculum challenging students to reach their full potential. The teachers are committed to each and every student, and the small class size ensures that your child will get the education and help they deserve. Along with academics, St. Peter s offer activities such as track, soccer, band, choir... Field trips are also taken to enhance the student s educational experience. Our daughter is thriving and loves the school. We highly recommend this school and believe it s worth the investment.

Posted April 16, 2014

My children started St. Peter's as a pre-schooler and infant. It was a tough decision when it came to choosing an elementary school, but we eventually decided to stay with the private school here. We have had the great experience of small class sizes (giving teachers time to help individual students), truly devoted teachers, a responsive management, and solid learning environment. When I compare what my children are learning to what some of my co-workers' children in very affluent areas of Metro Detroit are learning, I find St. Peter's is on par with them. It has been a great experience. Although it's not a new, fancy building, what the children get in education, love, respect, and Christian values is priceless.

Posted February 19, 2014

When we relocated to this area and were looking for a school for our children, St Peter's was the first, and the best, that we visited. Over the past four years we have watched our children grow and excel in this nurturing Christian environment. The teachers really strive to meet each child where he or she is academically and provide them with the tools they need to learn, while demonstrating Christian values and a love of God. The principal greets the children each morning at the door, and really knows each child. Additionally, the small class size, special education support, and class offerings promote an ideal learning environment. Overall, this is a wonderful school that focuses on nurturing each student academically and spritually. I would recommend St Peter's Lutheran School to any parent!

Posted February 18, 2014

Our child started at St. Peter's a year ago for the 7th grade. We chose the school because of it's Christian foundation, small size and affordability. The return on our investment has been excellent. We've been very satisfied with the way the school has assessed and responded to our daughter's needs. They have worked with us on so many fronts to help our daughter adjust to the rigor and structure that she needs. This is a safe, multi-cultural environment striving to practice God's word with each other.

Posted February 13, 2014

I would highly recommend St.Peter's to any family looking for a Christ Centered education for their child/children. My children have attended both the Early Childhood Center, as well as, St. Peter's K-8 school. The experience has been very rewarding to both my children. Academically, they are doing well and I see evidence of their learning. The Pastor, teachers, and staff seem to have a geniune Christ-like Spirit which I really appreciate. Everything they do and communicate radiates Christian values and I see evidence of this in the communication I have with my children. They too are learning values that represent what my husband and I both display at home and this gives us great comfort. Kudos to St. Peter's. Keep up the Great Job!!

Posted February 13, 2014

St. Peter's has been providing my children with a Christ-centered education since they attended preschool in the Early Childhood Center. They love going to school each day. St. Peter's is like our second family. St. Peter's makes upgrades each year. This year a Science lab and a new computer lab were added. I would highly recommend St. Peter's if you are looking for a loving environment in which to send your child.

Posted February 12, 2014

My second child is currently enrolled at St Peter's. The education that my children have received from the staff here has been outstanding. The quality of teachers and the leadership of the principal is wonderful. St Peter's is also making many improvements and upgrades every year. The sense of community and togetherness is also comforting. Having my children in a Christian environment is very important to me. It's nice to know that they are going to school with other children who's parents feel the same way.

Posted July 28, 2010

St. Peter's is an amazing school that I have been proud to be a part of. The teachers, pastors, staff, and parents are very warm and welcoming. Some of the other posts imply that the school families that are members of the church are snobby and not welcoming. I can pick out the exact families they are talking about, but let it be know to parents thinking about sending their child to this school that these "snobby" families are rare. The vast majority of parents are welcoming and willing to answer questions and help. The small handful of parents with attitudes should not reflect on the school as a whole. What school doesn't have difficult parents? St. Peters is a great place for your child to grow both academically and in faith.

Posted April 2, 2010

I've been at St. Peter's with three kids of all ages for the past two years. I was nervious about bringing them to a new school, but the kids and teachers welcomed them and they adjusted quickley! The church is great! 11 am children sermons, 9:30 Bible Classes, new family ministry Sunday's once a month! I've heard in the past few years of hardaches, but not now! Moving in a great direction for God and for families! Thank you St. Peter's Church, School and Early Childhood Center for being there! Your a gift from God!

Posted October 7, 2009

First, I must say I love this school and the teachers at St Peters are awesome. My daughter has attended for two years now. Secondly, I have to say that I sought out a Lutheran school for the Christian enviroment. But lastly, I have to agree with past post regarding parents of children who attend the church. They are not welcoming and their attitudes are reflected in their children.

Posted May 1, 2009

What a great a great school! If you want an excellent academic and christian experience, this is the school for you family.

Posted June 13, 2008

I have had my three children at St. Peter's for their entire school career. They are doing wonderfully. They are very well prepared and the teachers go out of their way to make connections with the school families. When extra help is needed, it is always available. There is no lack of opportunities for parents to get involved. The Christian environment is refreshing. My children have all made wonderful friends and my husband and I have also. I would definately recommend St. Peters.

Posted August 27, 2007

My son has attended St. Peters since the close of St. Veronica. I thought he was doing well at St. Veronica but it turned out that St. Peter was teaching a much more advanced carriculum and he had to really catch up. But now, with the help of caring staff, he is doing much better. The teaching and management of St. Peters Lutheran school is top of the line.

Posted May 3, 2007

I have two children attending this school. I also had to pay extra for tutoring, that I felt was wrong since I already pay a tuition. that being said it helped. right or wrong I pay a tuition for a better education with Christian up bringing and I believe for the most part the children are getting it. I do agree with certain clicks in the school and church, but that is life. you would think the parents wouldn't be so snobby, and it dose reflect on the children. I will continue to send my children there, and recommend it.

Posted April 5, 2007

We've been involved with St. Peters for 2 school years. Kindergarden and now 1st grade. The school itself if great, the teachers genuinly care about the students. I have a child who also needs special services, speech therapy in particular and have not had any issue with getting my child the help needed. Because the school is a religous school - I disagree with the class room parties for Valentine's day, and the 'harvest' parties for Halloween as these are not Christian holidays. Halloween is a pagan holiday. St. Valentines's Day celebrates a saint, rather a martyr - a Catholic concept. Also there was no Brownie scouts offered at the school due to lack of parental involvement and there was no mention that we could contact our local public school or Girl Scouts for this. There are many oppertunities for extra curricular activities. Choir is a requirement of the school, requiring mandatory church attendence.

Posted March 13, 2007

I am completely dissatisfied with St. Peter Lutheran School. When I asked for additional help for my child in Math, I was told that I would have to pay additional money to one of the teachers for tutoring. I was appalled. I am already paying tuition and if my child is not grasping a particular concept, the teacher should not have a problem providing additional help free of charge. Futhermore, when sought help regarding how to improve my child's performance, I don't believe my inquiries were handled in an adequate manner. I also agree with another poster that many of the parents (and some of the staff)are not very welcoming.

Posted November 1, 2005

My son attended St. Peter's last year for kindergarten. His teacher, Mrs. Stephens, was wonderful. My other sons attended the preschool program. There were plenty of activities and they learned a lot. However, my kindergartener did require speech therapy and I found Eastpointe School District very hard to work with too, but it is not a reflection on the school. The school is not apart of the public school district. I was very pleased with the school and the staff. I recommend that if your child requires special services, like speech therapy, that you provided them independently.

Posted September 19, 2005

St. Peters is a wonderful school. The year my daughter started at St. peters the staff, parents and students were very welcoming to us. All my daughter teachers have taken extra time with her one on one when she needed extra help. I woul recommened this school to everyone.

Posted April 26, 2005

My child is a student at St. Peter. The teacher is very nice, however, I found the parents of the children who attend St. Peter Lutheran Church not very welcoming and their children reflect their behavior (although the senior citizens of the church are very sweet). I also found it somewhat unusual that the Eastpointe School District is so reluctant to work with children with speech and language challenges at St. Peter. I was told by other parents at St. Peter that their maybe an administrative lack of communication or a dispute with the school and the district and the children are suffering because of this relationship. I cannot recommend or oppose sending your child to St. Peter. It has its positive and negative points.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

African-American 17% 19%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%
Multiracial 1% 2%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Computer lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Music room

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
Associations
  • ELEA
Fax number
  • (586) 777-0347

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

• Art teacher(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Access to sports fields