Flushing High School

Public | 9-12 | 1307 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 14, 2014

I graduated in 1984, and the education I received at FHS lead me to be extremely successful and that is because I had an amazing foundation for my education .

Posted September 11, 2012

I graduated from FHS in 2001 and I can say that my educaction was top notch. They prepared me well for college!

Posted October 26, 2006

I graduated from FHS in 2005 and I can honestly say my 4 years of High School here gave me the preparedness I needed for college. I go to MSU and I use the skills that were taught to me at FHS every minute that I'm in class. The teachers are caring, understanding, and want to help each student do the best they can. They also have a great sports program offering a wide variety of seasonal sports. The choir and band programs are the best in Genesee county. The art program is top notch too. FHS does an exceptional job of including the parents to work towards a better learning environment. I wasn't the most popular kid in school but everyone was polite and respectful to one another. I got what I needed for my future and then some.

Posted August 25, 2005

FHS is a mediocre school. The biggest joke on campus were the drug free school zone signs. I moved to the flushing area from Charlotte NC and I was blown away by the amount and availability of the drugs on campus. I would give this school a better review if they addressed this problem in earnest.

Posted August 18, 2005

When we moved to Flushing 14 years ago from the Grand Rapids area I didn't know anyone. My daughter was in 3rd grade at Elms elementary and my son was 1 1/2 years old. I am so happy that we chose the Flushing area because I meet many of my friends through the school, volunteering at parties and field trips. They also offer Advanced Placement classes for high school student in many different subjects . Now My daughter is a graduate of Michigan State University with a degree in Chemical Engineering and my son is a Jr. and in the Marching Band Program that is known for being one of the best in the State we have wonderful parent involvement at our Marching Band Compititions and Sporting events. We think very highly of Flushing Community Schools and hope that you will consider being part of our community.

Posted September 26, 2004

This has been an incredible educational experience for our child, now a senior at FHS. Academically, we compete with top high schools in the state in the areas of curriculum choices, MEAP test results, and college preparation. Socially, staff and students alike set high priorities on learning and forming a strong school bond. I am so glad we chose Flushing when we relocated from the Detroit area twenty years ago. We couldn't be happier.

Posted July 25, 2004

This high school seems to cater to the wealthy. They don't provide an atmosphere of equality for students who may come from middle income students.

Grade level

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 26% in 2014.

360 students were tested at this school in 2014.

2014

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Source: Michigan Department of Education

Math

The state average for Math was 29% in 2013.

270 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 26% in 2013.

270 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 38% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 50% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Michigan used the Michigan Merit Examination (MME) to assess students in grade 11 in reading, writing, math, science and social studies. The MME is a standards-based test, which measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Michigan. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, the Michigan State Board of Education implemented new definitions of what it means to be proficient on the MME test. In addition, they have recalculated past years' results using these new standards for proficiency, making the above year-over-year results comparable.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Michigan high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

African-American 8% 18%

Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

• Mr. Jason Melynchek
Fax number
  • (810) 591-0693

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education