Public charter
Madison Heights, MI

Four Corners Montessori Academy 2

Posted July 30, 2015
I had been at this school for practically six years, 3rd-8th grade. It was a great school when it first opened. My education was valued and the teachers seemed to care quite a lot. I was most always listened to. Though, this all changed once I hit middle school. The teachers were awesome, don't get me wrong, but the academics in 7th and 8th grade became less challenging, and less Montessori like. Also, unlike lower and upper-el, our views as middle schools students weren't taken seriously by the rest of the school. Because we are teenagers, we were given the stereotype that whatever we would would do would most likely be up to no good. Besides the two major field trips for the middle schoolers each year, there wasn't anything else for us to do as a middle school community. Yes, there were school dances, but they were definitely not ideal for middle schoolers as most of the children were ten and the atmosphere was mediocre. We as a middle school overall seemed to be not cared about or taken seriously. Overall, this is a good school, just not the ideal place for your child to be going into middle school. The plus sides about this middle school is again, the teachers are great. Even though it seemed like the rest of the school didn't care about us, they did. Also, there was a lot of diversity in the middle school, but we still all managed to get along. It was like we were all a family. There was little to no bullying what-so-ever. Now if you want to enroll your child into a school that has above average academics, sports, and more opportunities for your child, (after school clubs, orchestra, band, etc) then this is not the place for your upcoming 7th and/or 8th grader. The after care program is awful. Besides one teacher there that was excellent. It was just awful for anyone over the age of eleven. I would love to put at least three stars, but the principal of this school is a joke. She only cares about the numbers and what's her paycheck at the end of the day. Once they get rid of her, then maybe this school will excel.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 30, 2015
My teachers seemed more like friends to me, which some may view as a bad thing, but they got their job done, and they, and myself both had fun along the way. I'm not fond of the school, but the teachers are people I'll never forget.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted July 30, 2015
Yeah, I'm that one kid that always wants more homework. Math was the only thing given out as homework. All work had to be done at school, unless you didn't finish, then it would be given as homework. Which I do believe is a good idea, debut some days I actually wanted some work to do after school.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted July 30, 2015
Eh, I don't know. Thus me saying this probably means... No(?) it onviously hasn't had a big impact on me to write enough about the subject.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted July 30, 2015
Although it may not be directly stated, yes I do believe that this school does. We had assemblies every now and then, which to me were quite childish, but it got the point across.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted July 30, 2015
Again, this is more cared about once you are young, but it more or less died out once you reached 7th-8th grade. Though, we had the occasional community talks.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted July 30, 2015
I'm torn because this school had offered me such things, until I reached middle school.

Four Corners Montessori Academy 5

Posted September 11, 2014
It is important my children attend a school that nurtures the WHOLE child, and we found such a school in Four Corners. Their teachers care about them as people, respecting their academic, social, and emotional growth. FCMA's focus is on creating an independent learner, and I appreciate the care and attention my childrens' teachers put forth in helping them grow each day. This is a humble, caring school with a staff that is highly committed to students. With regard to the negative comments here, I would urge parents who are looking into FCMA to come to the school and see if it is a good fit for your family. Many of the negative comments are simply untrue, or based on a perspective that illustrates the school wasn't a good fit. And, to clarify, the head of school lead a campaign to encourage parents to write reviews on this site, but said nothing of what types of reviews to write. It's simply not her style. Four Corners is a very special school, one in which my children thrive. I am grateful!

Four Corners Montessori Academy 5

Posted September 04, 2014
My child is going into 4th grade and has been there since 1st grade. FCMA is the most authentic public Montessori program in the area. The staff and administration are fabulous.

Four Corners Montessori Academy 4

Posted August 03, 2014
We love FCMA! My sons are heading into 1st and 2nd grade, having started there in pre-school. The teachers are dedicated, both leads and assistants, the head of school really cares about your child and their success, not something that is evident in all schools. The school requires a minimal amount of volunteer hours, on any day you will see parents in the school helping, it is a very involved community, which we love. There is emphasis on character at this school, something that is tough to measure on a test score. While the school lacks sports, it does have after school enrichments like band, cooking, dance classes, etc. While you pay for field trips, my children have been exposed to ballet and the DSO, which have been cool experiences for them. Ultimately, what you and your child put in, is what you get out of this school.

1075 East Gardenia Avenue, Madison Heights, MI  48071
Last modified Four Corners Montessori Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Four Corners Montessori Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 51 reviews. Top