Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Posted January 13, 2016
I love the schools. They work with the kids and they don't push problems aside. The staff is wonderful. When we moved to this school from a small town school district, my kids were 2 grades behind. They work hard with the kids and they don't give up. I am very grateful for Okemos schools. I have the up most respect for the principals and staff. Thank you.

Posted August 22, 2013
I have been to other school systems before, and looked into moving to a completely different district down in Florida, but it just made me realize how excellent OHS truly is. Even though sports are very popular, the largest club is a volunteering group called ACTION, and I'd say the musical program is just as big as the athletics. Not all sports are competitive, it just depends on your sport. For example, girl's water polo that has made it to States 30+ times has not made cuts the past few years, and were named state champions/runner ups. Despite it's known "rigorous academics" just as many adaptive or introductory classes are offered, and there's always "resource" where student's are practically "tutored" through every class. Most students do make effort to be nice to everyone, and students who discriminate are more frowned upon than students who doesn't have high scores. That being said, OHS is a very diverse environment, and even though it is known to be a richer community, the money you have is not used to judge who you are. I am personally receiving free lunch, yet my best friend's dad's a doctor. I just wouldn't trust any reviews with elementary spelling or grammar mistakes.

Posted June 20, 2013
My child attends Kinawa Middle School and the level of education he's receiving is unbelivable not unbelieving... Sorry for the mispelling.

Posted June 08, 2013
I believe children are a reflection of their parents teachings and actions. We've had nothing but compliments about our kids from teachers. We love Okemos schools. The teachers are great and they are focused on the kids. Our kids have excelled after overcoming the learning curve coming from Lansing schools. My daughters get A's and B's, have a diverse set of friends, and haven't experienced any problems in school because of their color. OPS makes the kids college-ready if they put forth the effort. Hiawatha, Kinawa, Chippewa, OHS = EXCELLENT and HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Posted January 04, 2012
OMG! We were low income african americans AND MY CHILDREN MADE GOOD FRIENDSHIPS in this school district. You will never be 100% understood whereever you go. Instructors are not there to babysit and every person is not going to be your child's buddy. Get involved as a parent. That will show the staff and your child your serious about thier education and well being.Go chieftans. My children will finish highschool in this area we are making plans to move back because of the quality of education they get.

Posted March 09, 2010
This school is amazing, the teachers are all nice, and the students are all nice to each other also. Some people have been saying that we are racist agaisnt certain groups, but that is a lie. We may not have many different minorites, but everyone accpects everyone else. Great School.

Posted April 06, 2009
I graduated from Okemos High School last year, and all in all had a great experience. I did not realize how great their education was until I got into college where I feel that some of my high school classes were more changeling than my college classes. Dr. Lanzetta the principal is awesome and he does so much for the school. If you have the opportunity to send your children to this school I would highly recommend it. You will not find another school that prepares their students for higher education like Okemos does.

Posted September 02, 2008
OHS is a great place to send your kids. I have 2 sisters that went to U of M and are doing very well there. I went to MSU and highly value the education that OHS has given me. The faculty does an excellent job of making sure all of the students have the tools they need to succeed. Recommend doing band or orchestra - also athletics at OHS are a great way to stay in shape and build social skills.

Okemos High School 4

Posted August 10, 2008
Okemos is good for academically talented schools or students with disabilities, not so much for the students stuck in the middle. I spent a few years in special ed. I had a class where I had a teacher tracking my grades and standing there making sure I got everything done. They offered everything to make sure we did the best we could but at the same time make sure we were ready for collage and its challenges. During my junior year I took the test every special ed student takes every 3 years. I tested so well I was no longer qualified for special ed. I suddenly was on my own in a academically competitive school in regular classes. That year I failed not only my first class but first 3. I struggled through the rest of school and barely graduated. I don't recommend Okemos for students that struggle a little.

Posted July 21, 2008
I just graduated from this Okemos this year (08). I'd have to agree with Norm Allen that scores are highly valued at Okemos, but individual students are also highly valued. From my experience at Okemos High Schoof the students and parents seem to have the outlook that you must have great test scores and a 4.0 GPA, and that you have to go to the University of Michigan or some other big research college to be valued. But that is just what some of the student body thinks. The administration and the faculty are focused on making sure that every student has the opportunity to pursue their dreams. Overall this is an excellent school, and the social environment is great. This fall I am off to Western Michigan University for their Flight Program which is the 2nd best in the nation, and I ow it all to Okemos High School!

Okemos High School
2800 Jolly Road, Meridian Charter Township, MI  48864
Last modified Okemos High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Okemos High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top