Reach Charter Academy

Charter | K-8 | 625 students

Living in Roseville

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $57,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $750.

Posted September 13, 2012

I like this school. No school is perfect but I appreciate the hands on relationships with my daughter's teachers, the quick follow up on email and the daily feedback. I wish they had more extracurricular activities and were dismissed at different times to stagger the kids in and out to avoid the ouside traffic. I also wish my daughter had spanish class more than once a week. But overall I don't regret sending my daughter to this school..

Posted July 30, 2012

Parties, fun and festivities galore! Woot! Your child will LOVE it here. As a parent, seriously trying to prepare my child for an academically challenging world, Reach Academy could "reach" far more for academics. They spend more time on "reviewing" than they do teaching the standard material for the actual grade your child is in. Therein lies the biggest problem with Reach: Your child receives a basic/average education at best. Reach doesn't excel in challenging their most promising students. The student populace here is mediocre--average and while the teachers take the entire first semester trying to "catch up" most of the class, students who DID learn the previous year's material have to sit and suffer through half a year of review. Thus, the excelling students are ultimately doomed to mediocrity. AND, to mask their mediocre standards, the the kids take BS classes where almost everyone earns a "3.0" to "average" out the important classes and the grading scale is a confusing mess. This school doesn't give out "A's" or a 4.0-A sign I see that speaks volumes of its lack of academic excellence. Reach, it's been fun, but I've "reached" my limits on compromising my child's education.

Posted July 27, 2012

I went to this school and I had some much fun we have so much parties but my favorite is the "Green Party"!!!! We had freeze pops and played games but I see all these comments and I'm very confused.....???

Posted June 6, 2012

We just completed our first school year with Reach. I was not impressed with the office staff as there were occasions we were misinformed and the staff seemed confused. REACH can do a better job ennsuring accurate information is shared with office staff, teachers, and parents. Overall the academics for my kindergartner was great. However I think the school was too strict with code of conduct. Students would get in trouble for normally "kid paly". Also, more male teachers are needed. Although my child's teacher was awesome! Despite the minor disappointments with the school staff and conduct policy, I would recommend the school for incoming kindergartners.

Posted April 18, 2012

I give this school an excellent rating! I started my daughter in first grade and I am very sorry we did not know about it for kindergarten. My daughter is now in 3rd grade and the education she is receiving is unbelievable! I live in Saint Clair Shores and choose to drive my daughter to this school everyday because it is academically the better choice. We tried kindergarten in the SCS Public schools. That was a complete waist. My daughter could have taught the class. this school does have many rules. If you have a difficult time with rules then it is not the school for you. These rules help keep the order. I want my child to learn respect for others and appropriate behavior? This school expects this from the children and hopes for it with the parents. If you are looking for high academic and moral standards then this is the school for you. The teachers we have had are great. I could not have asked for better teachers! 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade! They have had some change in staff but as a new school I think that is to be expected. There are some who have a problem with this school...but they were probably a problem! I would, and do recommend this school to everyone.

Posted February 19, 2012

This is one of the worst schools that I have ever had my child attend. My daughter text me on her phone to get a mandatory item. My husband left work to bring it to her because it was an emergency and they let it sit in the office for over an hour. When I called them instead of being concerned about my daughter they were more concerned about her cell phone. I thought the principle might think differently then the secretary but nope, the principle was in agreement. Forget my child's emergency, "no texting in school." They then yelled at my daughter and created this ridiculous cell phone policy where every child that has a cell phone have to turn it in to the teacher when they arrive at school. Wow, schools like this are why our children are suffering. They are more concerned about parking lot, cell phone control versus the students.

Posted January 4, 2012

I used to be a Middle Level student at Reach. At the beginning of the year everything was fine. But towards the middle and end of the year it got worse! But it was their first year with a middle level so I thought next year would be better. But it wasnt. It was WAY worse than the year before! So many things went wrong. Teachers seemed like they didnt care about the students. The students lashing out and interrupting other students learning. PDA all over the hallways. Academical... It was okay. but with all the disruptions it was hard to get things done. So I would not suggest Reach Charter Academy to others. But not to get the wrong idea, it's a pretty good school.

Posted August 3, 2011

I went to this school and I had fun. When I attended, there were so many activities to do that were really fun and some were challenging.

Posted June 19, 2011

I would highly recommend Reach Academy. My son was part of the Read Program at the school, where he partnered with a middle school student who taught him to read better, and his reading has continued to flourish. I do believe the school is strict but I believe that is one of its' great qualities. They do not allow bullying or negativity by the students and even the parents. I have seen some parents act inappropriate on the playground, parking lot and at assembly - and then they are the biggest complainers about the school. I believe some people just thrive on being negative. Julie Breakiron is the new principal and is doing a great job. She is positive, caring and has been with the school since it opened only three years ago. I highly recommend Reach. It has truly been a blessing to my family!

Posted March 17, 2011

I have had my kids at Reach since they opened. I was pretty happy the 1st 2 years, but this year it has FALLEN APART. The K dean doesn't return calls, she's negative, & cold. The middle school dean is flaky & should be with preschoolers - not 12 year olds. The principal is negative and hostile. Even when there is good news she has to throw in something negative. The new discipline rules are awful. They are so negative & demeaning. I'm leaving this year, & will NEVER recommend Reach. So sad, too. With a happier, more postive administration - this school would be without a doubt the best around.

Posted February 27, 2011

Awesome school, great teachers and administration. This is the best school, in this area for sure. I wish the Roseville school district would take lessons from how this school is run and how the teachers act. The only regret I have is that by moving away from the area it will no longer be feasible for my son to go to this school. This is a GREAT school.

Posted February 27, 2011

This School would in my eyes a 5 Star School under the rite leadership. If it had a principal that listened, better attitude,more experience, left her office door open once inwhile,showed up to after school funtions, worried about the kids education as much as she does if they are 1 minute late, knows how to use the phone service,and will not call my house at 8 p.m with a week old message. I could go on and on,but if your a parent at this school you will know what I'm talking about. I don't want to pull my child from this school,but with Ms. Dowker runiing it might be like many other parents and do so.

Posted February 5, 2011

We love this school so far. My son has learned so much this year in Kindergarten.

Posted February 1, 2011

I love the school and the teachers at the school. My sons teacher is wonderful. She is always keeping me informed with my sons progress. She was willing to tudor him if he needed it, but after she spent some time with him she found that he is right where he needed to be. His first grade teacher was just as wonderful! The only issue that I have with the school is when I see the principal she never acknowleges with a hello. She has stressed so much this year that if you are a minute late you will receive a detention. My son who has never been late for school is so worried about being late he has started having night terrors. His teacher has talked to him about this and that seemed to have helped. I understand "sorta" why they express this, but she needs to realize that there are some children out there that this may have an affect on. Again, the teachers that my son has had over the last two years have been wonderful, thoughtful and caring people. I have never hesitated to call and ask questions.

Posted January 27, 2011

Started out with great expectations 2.5 years ago. The first year was fantastic-a teacher who TRULY communicated with parents and kept us informed. Since then I have had meetings, been on the receiving end of promises that have NOT been kept and feel as though the teachers/deans are simply saying whatever they think I want to hear with no follow thru. My child will not be returning to Reach next year. I also have to agree with the parents who have pointed out the shortcomings of the principal--open door policy does NOT exist, and she does talk down to parents. I personally witnessed a dressing-down of a father (in front of a group of other parents) who was not deserving of the treatment he got--but was unwilling to protest for fear his wife's relationship with the school would suffer.

Posted January 19, 2011

Hello'm Elizabeth. My daughter is Ava. She will be five april 6th. We are moving to the neighborhood in a few weeks. I read about this school . I have a few questions... Is it free? is it a private academy? Any responses would be grateful! thanks so much!!

Posted December 21, 2010

Also, the PTA is very clicky. If you dont get along with/share the same exact opinions as Robin Page, you wont have any say in what happens at the school.

Posted November 29, 2010

Ms. Dowker/Principal did not have an open door policy as she claimed. I had an issue that needed to be addressed by her and she kept referring me to the Dean over the Young 5's who in turn would refer me back to Ms. Dowker, the Principal. I really felt as if I was getting the run around and as a result I had to remove my child from the school, because our issue was never addressed. After I withdrew my child from "Reach Academy" the Principal, Ms. Dowker finally discussed the issue with me "via email." I was not pleased. I just hope no other children/pupils at Reach Academy fall between the cracks.

Posted November 28, 2010

I like this school and the way they challenge your child academically, plus the moral focus daily. My concern is the way they use a grading scale and it is not even across the board. They use a point system (0.5-4.0) instead of A's, B's, etc., When you go to the meetings and ask for clarity, the principal sends you right back in circles. Possibly making you more confused about the system then you once was. On the upside the environment feels a lot safer in which I believe the children are more at ease to learn. The principal also needs to learn how to talk to the parents and not announce in a PARENT meeting or other, "I NEED ALL PARENTS AT A ZERO." Just because you use this term effectively with our children doesn't mean you speak to their PARENTS with the same demeaner!

Posted November 10, 2010

I love their moral focus program and the morning assembly which I can attend daily. I love that the teachers all have really fresh and innovative ideas to keep the children engaged and learning. I love that the principal keep things running as efficiently as possible and is always accessible for comments and/or questions. I love the open communication between me and the school, and also between me and the children's teachers. I never feel out of the loop! There have even been many times my kids teachers have called or sent a postcard in the mail simply to say HI and/or to let the kids know how much they enjoy having them in their classroom. I love the positive energy that comes out of every person working there. I am proud to be a Reach Academy parent, they help make me a better mom and person.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

83 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

82 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

75 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 35% in 2014.

61 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2014.

60 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 20% in 2014.

68 students were tested at this school in 2014.

African-American 48% 18%

• Julie Breakiron
Fax number
  • (586) 498-9173

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now