No rating

St Joan Of Arc Elementary School

Private | PK-8 | 40 students

Living in Saint Clair...

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $67,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $700.

Posted June 7, 2011

Ignore the parent in the March 12, 2011 Review. Clearly, they have a vendetta against the school or the staff or are just trash talking about the school. As an alum of the school who has since graduated from college with honors and a member of a National Honor Society, I can say that my foundational education at SJA is nothing less than the best! I mean this in the most objective way possible. Oh, and about the whole "curriculum was unchanged from 1970" thing. What a load. These kids are getting a top-notch Catholic education from faculty and staff who genuinely care for each child and their success. The curriculum is top-shelf. So is the technology. Nay-sayers are merely reaping what they have sowed. Put nothing into helping your kids succeed, don't expect the school to pick up the slack. School does not replace parental involvement! SJA has a very rigorous curriculum which I can say has prepared me and my classmates for high school and life! My parents even say that with all the tuition they have paid for grade school, high school, and college, SJA was the best choice they ever made! SJA is an excellent school and you will not regret sending your child/ren there!

Posted March 12, 2011

We took out students out of St. Joan because the curriculum was unchanged from 1970 as well as the teaching staff and their methods. They stopped taking the MEAP test many years ago, because they felt it didn't best test their students. If you look at there last MEAP you will find failing grades! My children are now excelling at public school.

Posted January 13, 2011

St. Joan of Arc continues to impress me. The teaching staff is very quick to respond to my emails with questions about curriculum, schedules, etc. The weekly parent note keeps all the information about current events at my fingertips. The students are constantly challenged to use computer technology along with and for their classwork and homework, and the teachers integrate library research with social science, history and even music class!

Posted January 4, 2011

Outstanding. I am a working mom, and the comment below about being kept in the loop is so true. School leadership is strong without being overbearing. There is an abundance of extracurriculars and athletics, and they are very well run. And most importantly, the kids and parents are just really nice people! I am so glad we brought our kids to this school.

Posted November 3, 2009

Saint Joan of Arc is an exceptional school. I have two children, both very different with very different needs. They address each need very well. The teachers are always accessible, with great enthusiasm. They really care about the kids and the kids know it. Also, the parental involvement at St. Joan is phenomenal. Even as a working parent I feel like I am 'in the loop' and can participate in volunteer activities. The sports program is second to none as well. Overall, you can not beat a Catholic School education in general, and the Saint Joan of Arc education is second to none!

Posted February 4, 2009

The school has gone down hill the last several years. There is only a handful of Teachers that truly know how to teach.

Posted June 12, 2008

A year ago, my response to reviewing St Joan of Arc may have been different. But a year later, more experience with teachers and the administration at St Joan, and more investigation and effort on our (the parents) part have meant a five star rating from me. You see, a school is not entirely responsible for how well a 'sub-standard' student or a 'special needs' student succeeds at a school. It's up to the parents to communicate the needs of the child, and it's also up to the parents to fully investigate what those needs are. And those needs are constantly changing, if the parents are successfully handling the special needs. St Joan has been very open and accomodating any time I've asked to meet with them, has made suggestions in working with our requests, and our daughter has made great strides in learning and in self esteem this year.

Posted October 10, 2007

St. Joan of Arc is a great school with a wonderful emphasis on faith and moral values. SJA has a fantastic preschool program, beginning with 3 year olds in a 2 day program and 4 year olds in a 3 day program. The kindergarten programs including 1/2 day, all day and young 5's. They are all fantastic and have excellent teachers. The 3 options make it easy to fit your child in the appropriate environment which best fits him/her.

Posted June 6, 2007

Excellent school. Continues to work on improving academic and extracurricular programs. Students learn good study habits that enable an easy transition in to high school.

Posted June 6, 2007

Our experience with St. Joan has been extremely positive. We feel that the teachers have done a terrific job identifying our childrens' strengths and abilities. Furthermore, they have adapted their program to meet their needs.

Posted June 6, 2007

We joined this parish 5 years ago and have been extremely happy with our decision. We have been impressed with the quality of the academic programs, especially the focus on reading skills at all grade levels. There are plenty of opportunities for interests of all types including band, Young Rembrandts (after school art program), a Robotics program, forensics and many sports. Parent involvement is outstanding. Our experience with the teaching staff has revealed dedicated teachers who are good role models for our Catholic faith. Many opportunities for community service are available throughout the year in all grade levels. Our principle is very proactive in seeking worthwhile programs for the students and he is very accessible to parents. We would recommend this school to families looking for a faith-based education combined with a caring staff, excellent academic standards and a variety of extra-curricular activities.

Posted June 6, 2007

Children are guided through proper academics and proper living (health, philanthropy and kindness in all things). When parents sacrifice to send their kids to a Catholic school they send an important message to their kids. This school understands that your kid is not the end all and be all...they are part of a community where we all matter!

Posted May 10, 2006

Like other parents, I came to this school with high expectations & was sorely disappointed. In my experience, we have only had a handful of teachers that were truly dedicated to teaching the children of all ability levels in their class. My child in particular, was punished by her teacher for being unable (not unwilling), to complete her assignment in the allotted time period. Being an educator myself, I do understand 'academia', probably more than the average parent. I also know that having a staff dedicated to the teaching of every student and not a select few is what makes the difference in a child's life, not extracurricular activities.

Posted May 3, 2006

April 2006 is obviously not very in tune with academia. Special needs from below average is excellent. Above average student needs are very good. The student is probably in K-3. In this area advanced capabilities are very overblown ( unless your child is a prodigy). Alot of parents work hard with this age group because they can understand the work. So there children do excel. BHut most schools have no advanced classes until 4th grade. 'caught up in the exp. of school life' very pompous. Social skills are by far the most imp. life lessons. Excellent Blue Ribbon School.

Posted April 22, 2006

I would agree with the Feb 2004 review. I have first hand knowledge of the lack of ability St Joan has shown at teaching to students that have special needs; from the below average, all the way to the accelerated. The lack of preparation, cooperation, and motivation from some of the staff has resulted in our choice to leave the school. To those of you caught up in the experience of the school life, it may work out. For those of you who have children who need a little of something more, this is not the school for you. My advise- Test scores can not and does not show you what a child can do or measure their potential. Remember that when reading these websites.

Posted March 15, 2006

I graduated from St. Joan last year and I have to say that I was very well prepared for high school. The teachers really care about each of the students and how they are doing. There are many extracurricular activities to be involved in such as athletics, band, choir, forensics, quiz bowl, and so much more. Many parents are involved in the school's programs such as the PTG and help with field trips, spirit week and other special events. St. Joan was also a fun school to go to, since there is always something going on.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 14, 2004

I was a little concerned when looking at schools for my children. But I couldn't have made a better choice for them. From top to bottom St. Joan is phenomenal. As for above average students I think they are fine.

Posted February 23, 2004

great school for the average student but not the school for the above average, below average or student's with mild learning difficulties. Jr. High teachers lack understanding and compassion in that regard. Principal not much better with the less than average student.

Posted September 9, 2003

Great leadership, parental involvement and teaching occurs daily at this Blue Ribbon school. Also has one of the finest athletic programs in the area. My children have been well-prepared for high school and have carried forth learning habits into college that they learned at St. Joan.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

African-American 4% 19%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%
Multiracial 2% 2%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (586) 447-3574

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Detroit