Shelby Charter Township, MI

Posted April 13, 2015
This school is unwelcoming to those of color. I think they're hope is to decrease their minority count as much as possible in order to appeal to the upper class parents of children attending. Many of the teachers single out children of color and are unfair. People will look at you differently, while silently judging your every move. Dealing with this school has been uncomfortable in a number of ways.

Posted November 30, 2014
Great teachers and a great community! My son especially loves the technology that he is able to use, like Discovery Education.

Posted November 25, 2014
My children have been attending Crissman for the past 6 years, and our experience has always been extremely positive. The teachers and principal really seem to care about the students, and go above a beyond in every way. My children have always loved coming to school because of the wonderful staff and welcoming atmosphere.

Posted November 21, 2014
I wrote this review once before and it didn't upload, so I thought I'd do it again. I LOVE Crissman. My children have been going to Crissman for the past 6 years, and I've only ever had wonderful experiences with the teachers and students. Everyone works really hard to make sure each child's needs are met, and that there is a safe and welcoming environment to learn. My oldest is now in Malow and is taking Advanced Math, Advanced Science and Accelerated Social Studies. It's because of the outstanding education he received at Crissman! Keep it up.

Posted November 21, 2014
I am so glad my children attend Crissman. My oldest is now a sixth grade student. My children have had wonderful experiences with all the teachers, administration, and other staff. The teachers differentiate the lessons to meet all the students' needs. My children feel safe and happy at school. I am proud to be a Crissman parent!

Posted November 14, 2014
My son has been going to this school for 3years, his first year of attendance there was great, he had a very nice and very helpful teacher. These other three are the worst teacher he had, very rude and don't seem to know what they're doing, don't care about the students, I think they're just there for the money. So parents think twice before you bring your kids to attend school here, because believe me they are the worst everrr!!!

Posted October 04, 2013
I have had 4 children attend Crissman Elementary and I can honestly say I have been nothing short of impressed. Sure, there a a few mediocre teachers, but realistically that occurs in all professions and work places. Class size was large in recent years primarily due to state funding; however, this past year, teaching staff was added to two grades where the ratios were high. But as a whole, everyone is very caring and the school is run effectively. The teachers honestly care about your children and treat them like people as well as students (it is not just a job to them). Any issues that came up with my children were dealt with quickly and effectively by teaching staff. The leadership and teaching staff are committed to a "parent partnership" and I am often overwhelmed with the amount of parent involvement that takes place at this school. There are numerous events where almost every parent attends. I have had two major interactions regarding my children with the principal, Ms. Fiema. Both times, my concerns were handled appropriately and the problems were solved. I highly recommend this school.

Posted April 30, 2013
There is so much to say about the horrific years my child has had here. Everyone I have dealt with at Crissman, from the teachers, to the principal, to the PTO, to the office staff, to the SACC teacher seems to be bothered if you dare ask a question, except for Rose (not Rosemary) in the office. There is a serious bullying problem at Crissman, and the principal does not handle these situations properly. She is definitely the kind to sweep it under the rug instead of dealing with it at the time. The teachers are all women, save for one man. If your child is a boy, watch out! There will be no understanding of the vast differences between boys and girls in the classroom. As punishment, you will see that recess is regularly taken away and then your child gets blamed for having too much energy. I ve actually had a teacher tell me, I didn t have time to deal with that because I had a lesson and 33 other children to teach. Please do your homework. There are several other schools in the area (Duncan, Beacon Tree, Beck) that would be happy to take your child and provide a safe and comfortable learning environment. I m just happy we made it out and will now be on to Malow next year.

Posted February 09, 2012
So nice to see that Governor Snyder has passed an Anti-Bullying law for our schools. Now Crissman's principal has no choice but to address the issue.

Posted May 10, 2011
Our child was a new student to this school in the middle of the year. He was verbally harassed numerous times to the point of physical sickness. The principal is quick to talk about her prevention on bullying but offers no real help when in the middle of it. The teacher offered no help whatsoever on this matter. Once our son left the school, the bullying continued on through cyberspace and social networking, again the principal seeing no real reason she needed to get involved. Actually stating "I can't play the parent". This school is certainly not one of Utica's finest.

Crissman Elementary School
53550 Wolf Drive, Shelby Charter Township, MI  48316
Last modified Crissman Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Crissman Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top