Macarthur K-8 University Academy

Public | K-8 | 557 students

Posted September 17, 2013

MacArthur is a great School! My daughter has been attending MacArthur since Kindergarten. She is currently in the third grade and I must say I am very pleased with the administrators and the staff members! The teachers work very hard to ensure students success! I would highly recommend this school to future parents/students!

Posted August 11, 2013

my school is great great awesome no profanity and all that stuff yeah awesome bored

Posted March 28, 2013

MacArthur is a great school! As a staff member, I enjoy working with techers who really care about kids. I also enjoy working with a principal that is dedicated and who trulys understands the dynamics within the classroom. Our principal supports the staff, students, parents and the community. She is always looking for new experiences for the students and allows us to grow professionally. No school is perfect, but in regards to how much the staff cares about the quality of education students receive, MacArthur comes pretty close.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 26, 2013

MacArthur looks like an excellent school to the public. Unfortunately, that is NOT the case. The leadership at the school is substandard. The pupil/teacher ratio is poor. The school is severely overcrowded. The principal is unprofessional and lacks tact necessary for proper and efficient leadership. Parents do participate but all events come with a price. Many of the teachers have good intent but leadership stifles the teachers ability to effectively develop the student populous. This school would be great if they were ethnically diverse, hired a TRUE LEADER at the school to allow the teachers to be more productive, had a larger location and better supervision of children. DO NOT ENROLL YOUR CHILDREN TO THIS SCHOOL! SAVE YOURSELF THE DISAPPOINTMENT AND GRIEF! They are NOT SERIOUS about EDUCATION at this school! If The university of Michigan is partnering with this school, they should reconsider their stance!

Posted March 1, 2013

I really love this school. I feel like my children are part of a family. Very well structured and organized school. Teachers are great and they love to teach. The principal Ms. Perry is awesome and an amazing leader. Great academic programs and classes.

Posted June 22, 2011

I think this school is overall a pretty good school, especially for Southfield area. Dr. Hentrel is a good leader, but she has a boot camp type mentality when dealing with students, teachers and parents. I can't say that she is not effective, but she her style of leadership can be a turn off to some people. Nonetheless, I think from an academic standpoint the school definitely tries to up the ante each year and retains students who want to excel scholastically. The only other issue everyone deals with is the "over-crowding", for whatever reason, leadership did not move the school to a larger location and they have way too many students attending the school for its size. Parking, dropping off and picking up the kids is a nightmare that could and should fixed by moving to a larger building. The school was initially K-5, but is now K-8, so every function is jammed pack and it simply unnecessary stress on all parties involved. But, to end on a positive note, this school is definitely a shining spot for the area and does academically challenge your kids. What some of the teacher's lack in tact and personality, they make up for in academic training.

Posted April 13, 2010

I love this school. I am currently an 8th grader and will be sad when i graduate. I will miss all my incredible teachers and my fantastic principal Dr. Hentrel. My favorite teacher is Mrs. Christy she is awesome! =)
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 25, 2010

I am a parent of a Mac Acrthur 1st Grader, and am hoping to send my kindergartner there in September. The school is outstanding. The principal is a force to be reckoned with and does not mix her words but she clearly runs the school with the school's and children's best academic interests at heart. Whatever she does it really works, you only have to look at their grades to see that. The teachers that I have come to know are awesome, they work closely with the children and the parents in order for your child to achieve at their best level. If you are looking for a school in the Southfield school district this is the only choice.

Posted March 2, 2010

Please don't beleive the hype! The principal is not a nice woman. The staff is afraid of her. I ask to meet with her several times she has not met with me yet. The children do not have recess and when they do low staff ratio supervision. The younger students do not go on field trips. Many parents have very negative things to say about her leadership, but refuse to say something because of connections, is what they say and that they want their children to attend the school.

Posted December 3, 2009

MacArthur is OVERCROWDED! This school is too small to house both elementary and middle school students. A lot of the middle school students lack respect & discipline. Bottom line MacArthur needs to expand its school or reduce the grade levels because the current set up is NOT working. Don't believe the HYPE! MacArthur still needs a lot of work.

Posted October 22, 2009

This is my son's second year at MacArthur and we are excited about learning. His second grade teacher Mrs. Leary is an excellent teacher. My son attended private school in the past so we have a standard that we expect and Mrs. Leary professionalism and teaching skills are absolutely at the top! She challenges him in every subject and ensures that he is never bored. My son has spelling test every week, homework every school night and even computer courses that he can do on-line in the evening. Also we have a student teacher, Ms. Hmayed who encourages diversity and even brought in a live science experiment. We appreciate your hard work and are proud to be part of the MacArthur family!

Posted October 20, 2009

All I have to say is wow. I'm an 8th grader here at MacArthur and I couldn't have enjoyed it more. One of the reasons why I say kudos to MacArthur is because of the teachers here. They really try to understand your problems and frustrations when you're learning a new concept, or you're just not comprehending well. In addition to the wonderful teachers, Dr. Hentrel (our principal) really keeps us in check. She's is constantly trying to push us up higher and higher, which is a good thing because I've been to some schools with HORRIBLE principal leadership! Thanks MacArthur for the fabulous experience!
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 9, 2009

Hats off to MacArthur's teachers, who are dedicated to student learning! I appreciated the variety of programs the school offers to reinforce student achievement. I feel comfortable that my son is safe and being nurtured under a no nonsense administration! Looking forward to a outstanding 5th grade year!

Posted May 24, 2009

I love this school! My son is lazy, but everytime (3 to be exact) he has failed to do his homework his teacher calls my cell phone and lets me know immediately. I can then handle the situation before it gets too serious. Ms. Hentrel runs a tight ship, orderly and under control. I like that.

Posted September 15, 2008

It's only the beginning of the school year, but I can tell already that it's going to be another good year. My daughter is in the 3rd grade and I love her teacher. In speaking with her, she is no non sense but has a special communication style with the children that is repsectful and challenging. My child and her classmates enjoy her. Also, MacArthur couldn't have a better principal than Dr. Hentrel. Her credentials are outstanding!

Posted August 21, 2008

My son is in 2nd grade and I am extremely pleased with the program at MacArthur. His 1st grade teacher was wonderful and made his school year a delight after a miserable kindergarten experience at Stevenson.

Posted May 27, 2008

I am very pleased with my son's 1st grade teacher, she is a joy to work with and she really takes care of my son (and his classmates). He was diagnosed with ADHD last year and he can sometimes be a handful but she works with me and together we focus on behavioral modification techniques. The Social Worker has also been a great help as well. I am hoping next year progresses the same. I am definitely going to miss his 1st grade teacher, but I am dedicated to ensuring a positive learning atmosphere not only for my son but the students in his classes as well. I am happy to say that MacArthur Academy is a premier Southfield Public School. Submitted by a proud parent

Posted May 19, 2008

I am very pleased with how things have turned out with this new school and the opportunities my children are getting. Great school...great staff! My children love this school.

Posted April 8, 2008

I am very happy with my son's third grade teacher! He is very successful and I can reach her at any time. More importantly, she has very high standards and will not comprise them! I feel that my son could go into any 4th grade class and be completely prepared.

Posted January 10, 2006

We are very happy to be a part of the Mac Arthur family. Our son is in the 3rd grade and is learning far more than most 3rd graders I have encountered. The academic program at Mac Arthur is awesome. It challenges the students and allows them to see their potential. The teachers are open with communication and takes parents feedback into consideration with an open mind. My son catches the school bus to and from school and I have no concern about his safety. The teachers are right there to make sure each student gets on the correct bus. If a students wants to leave with a friend, a parent is called immediately for confirmation. I am upset that the school will be closing for a year, but look forward to returning. We love Mac Arthur Elementary and know you will also.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

50 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

50 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

57 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

58 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

57 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2014.

77 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

78 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

77 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 35% in 2014.

52 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2014.

52 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 20% in 2014.

51 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 96% 18%

• Vicki Bayne-Perry
Fax number
  • (248) 746-8944

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now