Blair Moody Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 333 students

Posted April 3, 2014

My son had been at this school for two years but this last year has been terrible he came home with an injury from different students a week straight and this week he injured someone by horseplaying around and no one told me until the next day I would like to speak with the other family to apologize my son feels bad and they want let us!! His teacher has no control of her students if there keep being injuries in the class!!!!

Posted September 11, 2012

My son transferred the Blair Moody in Kindergarten because we felt he needed more of a challenge. He is a gifted child, and like most gifted children he gets bored easily (read: He tends to wander and interrupt when he is done with his work). We found that Blair Moody would offer him the challenges he needs to stay focused, and temper that with patient kind teachers and administration. Anyone who rates the "parental involvement" low is simply not taking advantage of all the ways Blair Moody staff practically begs parents to be involved, and probably just want a babysitter. We receive updates and contacts constantly asking for our response and ideas. Those reviewers need to start going through their child's backpack on a daily basis.

Posted July 18, 2011

I think Blair Moody is a very good school. I have had 6 grandchildren go to the school. I used to help when every I could. Their mom had to work so I took over helping when I could. All the teachers and the helpers were great and helpful. The office help was always ready to help anyway she could. the princip

Posted October 22, 2010

My son attended Blair Moody's POHI and is currently in a mainstream class. The teachers and aides are absolutely wonderful. I could not ask for any better. My son doesnt even want to leave when i come pick him up because he loves it so much, I practically have to drag him away lol . I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all my sons teachers and aides,and everyone else that makes the school work, for the wonderful things they do for all their students.

Posted October 21, 2010

This school has entire classrooms of children with physical and mental disabilities. The teachers show so much love and patience to give these kids, they deserve something special! They put on plays, take field trips - treat them like "regular" kids! They teach self-discipline and pride. Amazing place!!!

Posted September 16, 2009

We have great kids, parents and staff!

Posted May 15, 2009

An unknown shining star! Principal, staff, parents, and students working hard together to make Blair Moody a fantastic learning place! This place is definitely on the right track!! Go Moody!

Posted August 31, 2008

My daughter also had Ms Hughes last year for kindergarten. She is a wonderful teacher, who truly loved her job and students. The only concern is the afternoon pickup. In and around the school is a nightmare for parents, students, and neighbors in the area. I am disappointed of the lack of interest and participation by parents. For that reason, this year there will be no PTO. The teachers and staff can only do so much, they need parent participation to help provide our kids with a wonderful learning experience.

Posted August 25, 2008

My daughter attended Blair Moody for Kindergarden and I loved this school. Ms. Hughes was a wonderful teacher and was very involved with her students. I mean she loved her students and her job. I enjoyed the school as well but the pick up was terrible.

Posted May 9, 2008

My children have attended Blair Moody for the 07/08 school year. I have never been so unhappy with the level of concern for the childrens education. I am also unhappy with the negativity among the students. I have talked with the schools principal, who doesn't really seem to care about the students, only results. If you really value your childs education, please check into this school before attending.

Posted March 20, 2007

My son has been attending blair moody for almost two years now and I'll have to say I am very pleased with the school. Last year my son had a very difficult time with reading and writing and they were gonna hold him back. The teacher was soo concerned she would take her time to stay after school twice a week and help my son and another child with their reading and writing. It was such a great help my son ended up passing the grade, I was so gratful for the time that she spent on him. My son also has some speech problems, they enrolled him in the speech program and its done wonders for him. They are so caring and very determined to help him succeed. The teachers that my son has had are very pleasant towards me and my son. The principal is also very friendly.

Posted March 12, 2007

Our son has been at Moody for almost 2 years and we can't be more pleased with the school. Mrs. Zockheem is wonderful with the students and parents. We've dealt with various schools(due to moving)with our 15yr old, and could only have wished they were all like Moody. The staff is very helpful and considerate. Keep up the good work Moody!

Posted February 3, 2007

Daughter left about 2 years ago to start middle school. I liked the school, and the principal was very fair in the dealings I had with her. My daughters teachers were also caring and she actually had homework in classes from 3rd grade and up. School needs some repairs, but not schools fault. They use what they have efficiently. Glad she went to this Taylor School.

Posted November 18, 2006

I do like this school, I think the teachers are great, well some of them. I really like the people in the office, they are always there when you have concerns and have no problem talking to you about them, but there are a couple things they improve on. Other than that I am happy with this school. And yes I am a regular parent who helps as much as I can, I am there alot doing things for the school.

Posted February 21, 2006

Blair Moody is the least organized school I have seen! From getting monthly calendars and lunch menus out late, to putting the wrong homework in my daughters bookbag, to telling my 5 year old today that tomorrow is pajama day! Am I suppossed to believe her? There is no note telling us about pajama day, maybe we'll get that on Friday, and another, 'oops, I'm sorry, I forgot' excuse! In two days there are parent/teacher conferences, and I have heard nothing from the teacher about an appointment. There is no parent/teacher interaction due to the fact that you can't leave your car at drop off or pick up, and it's one of the few schools w/out a website so you could communicate easier w/ the staff. The staff is nice enough, but there needs to be more organization and communication.

Posted September 8, 2004

I have four daughters,12,9,7,&5 years of age.My oldest just graduated from 6th grade, my youngest just started kindergarden.Last year we bought a house which put us in the taylor parks school district.My kids hated it,they begged me to put them back in blair moody.As for the staff,they have always made me feel welcomed,and a part of a family.The secratary there is just an amazing woman,the principal is the fairest woman i've ever met.You will always find her in the halls 'high fiving' a student,or hugging one.The teachers there will always find time for you the parent.They realy are there for the students.Two years ago my daughter's teacher came to me and informed me that she needed help in reading.Gave me information on ways to assist her.I couldn't afford tuitoring,so the teacher offered to come to school 1 hour early a few days a week to help her.It worked. Hooray Blair Moody.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

58 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

55 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

34 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

32 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

32 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

40 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

41 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

45 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 35% 18%

• (313) 295-8358

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8280 Hipp Street