Sixth Grade Academy

Public | 6 & ungraded | 534 students

Posted February 7, 2012

The staff is more concerned with the staff than they are the children. I have been talked rudely to by a teacher, the secretary is to busy to help and has told me this on several occasions. Even the principal is short tempered. Mr. Hall was the only helpful staff member. A lot of bulling goes on here.

Posted February 1, 2012

this school is okay its average i am propose to be in chorus but in band.

Posted August 1, 2011

I am going to this school and very excited!!:) I know i will love Sixth Grade!

Posted July 31, 2011

I think this school was fantastic and I wish I could go back there!I was on team Extraordinaire And loved it!

Posted June 23, 2011

I was very impressed with this school. I had GREAT communication with all my son's teachers through out the whole year. He was on the honor roll all year long and played basketball. I am looking forward to sending my other children here as well. The principal was wonderful to communicate with also. For you parents talking down about this school.....just remember it takes the parents to be involved with their childs education to get communication with staff!!!!!

Posted November 14, 2010

The children in this school are out of control, and it s very apparent the staff cannot handle these kids, my child has been bullied since the beginning of the year, the secretaries are rude they hang up on you when you call, they are bullies too! This school should be shut down, it s an unsafe place for kids and I'm removing my child from the district.

Posted May 31, 2010

I am very unhappy with this school. Kids are allowed to fall behind w/o any communication from the teachers . Progress report grades and actual grade vary vastly. I have emailed a science teacher 5 times regarding my son and got stock answers never the truth.

Posted February 26, 2010

I LOVE the school i was on the Basketball team,if you parents are wondering about the school i'd be happy to tell you bout it, ok there's i think 4 different teams one is Extaordnaie,Wizard's,Awesome Acheivers,Transformers. i'm on Extaordnaie we go over and above the Ordanary. i love the school i go to right now we have lockers,7 classes that seem not long at all and we have good princable's Take these from a student that is going there right now trust me I LOVE IT.

Posted January 26, 2010

My son attends the Sixth Grade Academy, and he loves this school. We wish he could stay there for 7th grade! He has does wonderful in all of his classes so far, even the ones like (math) that he usually sturggles with. I use Parent Zangle to keep updated on his grades, which always shows if there is missing assignments, so this helps him keep on track! He regularly checks the computer on his own also, this has made him more responsible. Most of the teachers are great about using email as a from of communication, but you do have those teachers that don't comply to this form. The school has lots of elective classes for children to sign up for. I seen him mature right before my eyes during the first few weeks of school. I am so proud of of how he has adjusted to his new surroundings.

Posted February 16, 2009

I loved going to this school. If it was possible to stay there and not go on to another school,witout failing,and I would have a choice on what school to go to,I would choose the sixth garde academy.

Posted September 25, 2008

This school is a good one.They have sports (even girls basketball, I'm In It.) You Dont even have to try out! The School Has teams, lockers, CLEAN bathrooms, and nice teachers. If your looking For a school woth grade(s) 6th, You should pick this! I currently go here.

Posted December 13, 2006

I took my child out of this school. The principal and vice principal do not acknowledge bullies, they brush it off as 'Middle School etiquette'. They have very poor communication with parents.

Posted June 12, 2006

Unfortunately,I have to agree with the review posted from 2005. My experience with the principal and assistant principal have been all but enjoyable. Children are stereotyped and or labeled from the beginning and unfortunately teachers don't want to 'deal with' the children who fall into the 'bad kid' catagory. Contact between the school and the parents is also poor. School is over in 4 days and I just found out my child is not passing. Why was I not informed earlier when something could have been done?

Posted May 8, 2006

Charles E. Brake is (so far)a good school. My daughter has been there for 7th grade and we came from Detroit. Her grades have been consistant because she's a perfectionist. I wish there were more field trips for the kids who aren't in sports to get a chance to see and do different things as well.They have more that enough after school sports, but not enough activities for all. The office staff can be quite rude on occasion. I called to ask a simple question, the person who answered the phone was quite rude-on more than one occassion! But over all, it is a challenging school. I am also surprised at the diversity of the school. All different cultures. Overall, I'm keeping my child for another year-unless she changes her mind. Ms. W.

Posted April 21, 2005

Brake Middle School is an average school. The teachers have a tendency to separate the 'smart' kids from the 'dumb' kids, and label them for life. I happened to be in the 'smart' category, so many more oppurtunities were available to me. The school, like most Taylor schools, is highly overcrowded, and most of the teachers there tend to coddle the good kids and disregard the bad kids completely. Extracurricular activities are weak. There is a track team, basketball- the normal things, but most of the teams are weak. Band, art, and language classes aren't properly supported by money. The english classes in Taylor for middle schoolers, especially Brake, is inadequate. The curriculum stresses reading and short stories, which can be learned later, while they should be pushing for grammar skills, which is a notorious fault in Taylor students.

Posted November 2, 2004

I have been involved with Brake Middle School for 4 yrs now and I think its a very good school. I do think they do need a few new things for the kids to get involved with meaning more sports. I would like to see a swim team or LaCross team. These are my veiws thanks for reading. L Staton

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

473 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

459 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

492 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 27% 18%

• (734) 374-1577

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

13500 Pine St