Hillcrest Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 432 students

Posted May 12, 2014

As I write this today, I have a fifth grader graduating from Hillcrest and a Kinder entering next fall. My husband and I are so incredibly pleased with Hillcrest, it's teachers, the principal, the specialists, the students, the custodial & maintenance staff, and other parents - a whole community that cares for one another regardless of ability, race, or any other differences we may have. The essence of this school is "family" and everyone takes part in the education of our children. We believe in the Artful Learning program and are very honored that we can enjoy all the benefits of this very special, welcoming school! I would encourage families to explore their options carefully and you will see that HIllcrest is FAR above other elementary schools in so many ways. We especially appreciate their Boule program that criss-crosses various ages and knocks down walls that could limit our children, and a wide variety of "welcome festivals" for grandparents and family to join in on the celebration of life at Hillcrest. The environment at Hillcrest promotes healthy, well-mannered, and empowered children - isn't that what we all want for our kids? We do!

Posted June 1, 2013

I have so many good things to say about Hillcrest, it is hard to pick just a few so to summarize how I feel about our school all I can say is that every time I go to the school I walk out saying to myself how lucky my family is to have such a wonderful school. I leave feeling happy that my kids are safe and cared for. I don't have any statistics but I can assure you this school creates kids who love to read and are motivated to read but most importantly they help the students become respectful and well mannered community members. There are days I go to volunteer and wish I could just stay the entire day, the students are wonderful and everyone is having fun and learning all day long. If someone asks me about our school I can truly respond "I Love Love Love our school".

Posted March 13, 2013

Hillcrest is an amazing school. I cannot say enough great things about the staff and families at Hillcrest. The leadership is excellent and the Artful Learning program is both challenging and fun for students. We feel so lucky to be a part of this community.

Posted February 27, 2013

Hillcrest teachers are attentive to each and every child's academic and social needs. We have two children that attended Hillcrest after leaving a private school. Both were behind in their reading skills. Yet, after one year at Hillcrest they both achieved scores at or above grade level expectations. Now, both children are thriving in Honors and AP classes in high school and college. Our third child attends Hillcrest now, years after our first two attended and the quality of education remains the same. The principal seems to know every child by name and makes them feel welcome at the school. Hillcrest Community School had a huge impact on the success of our children while in elementary school and beyond.

Posted February 24, 2013

I had a hard time knowing which selection to choose from the drop down menu, since I am both a teacher at Hillcrest and parent of two students of my own who attend the school. What I don't have a hard time with is stating what an absolutely wonderful experience my family has had with Hillcrest! All the teachers my children have had have been incredibly caring and supportive. Both of my children have been challenged academically and have grown tremendously. My two students know that Hillcrest is a community that cares - they truly love going to school every day! As a teacher at Hillcrest for the past 10+ years, I have been proud of the way we have served a wide array of families. Our school is a dynamic place to be - especially as we have recently given our focus to Artful Learning. We enjoy using this way of teaching to engage a diverse group of learners.

Posted February 6, 2013

I have three children who attend this school and I have found it to be a complete family. The principal knows all about my kids, but he also knows every child in the building. My kids are challenged in their education, and the focus on art integration has broadened their horizons. When at Chicago Art museum, both of my older kids immediately identified many pieces from the collection. The have many chances to use art in their learning. Teachers work with parents to help their kids be successful! The waiting list is long, but worth the wait!

Posted February 6, 2013

We have two children at this school and couldn't be happier. There are so many opportunities for them to be challenged and engaged in learning. There is a vibe at this school that is hard to describe. The teachers are caring they go out of their way to connect with our kids. The principal greets me by name whenever I see him. I like the sense of community here and I'm excited about the new arts focus for my kids!

Posted March 21, 2012

LOVE Hillcrest : ) Great teachers. Great families. So glad we found this place for our kids!

Posted March 5, 2012

My son was accepted in this school, he attended for three months. What a horrible school, he had a very bad teacher, arrogant, no patient , zero respect. I would advice people of color not to consider this school. I am glad I took my son out that school. We are very happy at the school we are in right now. Parents don't get fooled by this school rating, Hillcrest is only good for some, not for everybody. Parent should be careful about this school because their rating is just based on the group who are attending this school.

Posted March 5, 2012

My child was offered an opportunity to attend Hillcrest. We were excited about the schools ratings and thought it would be a great place for our child to attend. If I have any concerns about this school, its diversity. I m sure a lot of parents find it to be a great place and have good experiences. I m just saying personally we didn t feel comfortable. We are a Multi Cultural Family I think the school district may want to look more closely into the Hillcrest Environment. We support our school district and like to see the best in all our schools...

Posted January 27, 2012

We were not happy with this school, its sad because when we got selected we were so happy, but then it was awful! Hillcrest is NOT for everyone. Good Luck!

Posted November 3, 2011

There's lots of parental involvement which is great! However I think the leadership of the school is very weak. I've contacted the principal on two different occasions via email and he does not respond in anyway. If you have a concern or an issue he seems to want to just walk away while you are trying to speak to him. I plan to change my children's school next year because I feel they're not getting as good of an education in math and reading as they should.

Posted January 11, 2011

Great School !! Awesome teachers. Small class sizes, and a principle who cares. As a LATINO FAMILY we are extremely satisfice. HILLCREST is another Home for my kids !!

Posted October 13, 2010

Small class sizes, excellent teachers, and a principle who cares... in fact he knows every student's name! What a way to make a child feel special!

Posted November 2, 2009

Great school -provides a solid educational program while intigrating community spirit and self esteem for each student

Posted October 15, 2009

Hillcrest is truly a community school, there is an energy & synergy that is hard to describe but incredible to witness. The staff and teachers work together to provide a solid education to each student while building and reinforcing community and citizenship skills.

Posted October 12, 2009

The community spirit thrives in all that teachers, students. and parents do.

Posted October 9, 2009

Because of the community feel/involvement.

Posted October 9, 2009

Parents have chosen to come to our school and are very supportive. The kids are great and the teachers and staff are committed and caring.

Posted October 9, 2009

Kids help out, teachers work together to create exciting learning opportunities, parents are very involved. There is a fervor to the climate and it is a very welcoming place.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2010.

77 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2012.

74 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Minnesota used the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment-II (MCA-II) to test students in math in grade 11. The MCA-II is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Minnesota. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2010.

65 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2012.

66 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2010.

70 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2012.

73 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 46% in 2011.

62 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students89%
Not economically disadvantaged95%
Proficient in English90%
Not migrant89%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Minnesota Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data is not reported for that group.

All Students91%

Not economically disadvantaged98%
Proficient in English96%
Not migrant93%

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Minnesota used the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment-III (MCA-III) to test in math in grades 3 through 8 in reading in grades 3 through 8 and 10 and in science for grades 5 and 8, and once in high school. The MCA-III is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Minnesota. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 54% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 60% in 2013.

All Students78%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 18%N/A37%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

9301 Thomas Rd