Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Student here giving an honest and civil review of this school. It's okay, that's it. There are some great teachers who could easily pick up jobs solely based on student's voices. Yet a lot of teachers sadly aren't okay and do not care enough to teach their class. This is personal but during my years of schooling here (2013-2016, now in High School) there has been 7 fights that I can remember and I'm sure there's been a few I've missed, yet the administration hasn't expelled a single one of those students. Once I made a poll about the likeness of the Spanish and French teacher (the same teacher) and I was called into the office not to talk about how the majority of kids I polled weren't liked, but to stop creating polls because "it's against school policy" it was classified as cyber-bullying to staff and I was verbally shunned because of it. They have little electives for Computer Science classes which are quickly becoming a very big market for jobs for students who are coming out of high school, which angered me and my parents but there wasn't much we could do. Bottom line if you can get a good teacher such as Mr. Douglas Oase, Or Mr. John Rosten, prepare for a fun and academic year. other wise prepare for a terrible learning environment and an even worse curriculum!

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

As stated before, Administration would rather not file fights etc. for the ease of the district.

Supports LD students: Neutral

I have no clue how this school deals with the learning differences of other kids, I was taking honors classes So I wouldn't know.

Effective school leaders: Disagree

There have been a few surprises that the Administration have done but not many, this school trys to not get a hate crime problem by not taking action with minorities and that's the truth.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

There is nothing this school does to improve anything listed here, it's here to "teach" kids and that's it!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

There are a few gems in the rough rock that is this school. Those gems that I could name are. Oase, Rosten, McDonald, Glass, Kranz, Lindell, Dougherty, and Gogala

Amount of homework: Neutral

Homework is normal, I spent and average of 10 hours a week for homework and that could easily be less, but it wasn't very effective for learning the things I needed to.

There is something very wrong with the structure of this school. The vice principle is difficult to communicate with. It is nearly impossible to speak directly with a teacher. There is no push for A students to be placed in AP classes. This school does not have the student's best interests at heart.

We open enrolled from another district this year into Black Hawk and we are so glad we did. The teachers are caring and openly communicate and address concerns. The teaching is fantastic and they really seem to have a grip on methods that prove successful for kids of this age. The only complaint I have is I wish there were more after-school activities offered.

Most of the kids don't want to go to school in the first place, but we have to give them a motivation to come. After all America is the one that will strive from their success. The discontinuation of Panther time activities such as soccer,flag football and kickball has created an unsuccessful learning environment. Without such activities we are depriving the children of America, a healthy lifestyle, social interaction and the motivation to continue the energy to continue the rest of the day. Michelle Obama has fought for a healthy America and I clearly demonstrated the importance of staying active. Why do we still drown our own country with such bad beliefs?

Last modified Black Hawk Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.