PK-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

We invite you to find out more about our school for yourself! Our school welcomes many types of students and family backgrounds, from Eden Prairie to across the globe. We have over 45 nationalities and 30 languages represented at our school through our students and staff! We just completed our 30th year and we have a global history of 130 years through our parent company SABIS. Our network is comprised of schools in 16 different countries and on 4 continents, and is well established in the Middle East. See if our school is a good fit for your family! Please feel free to contact the School Director, Ken Riggs via email at kriggs@sabis.net for any concerns or questions, he will be more than happy to discuss!
October 27, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Message to families
Posted October 27, 2016

ISM reviews are bi-polar and now that my child is there I understand why. No child will be left behind at this school. Their testing is to the extreme, but they make sure every child passes no matter what it takes. It's a great option for children that are struggling that you want to go to college. The school is so structured , fixed and one size fits all that it can't adjust to very bright students and they can become bored. The school doesn't motivate or stimulate very bright students well. All they can do is place your child with older students but they don't teach the same material at a faster pace. The system is very front end loaded were they rely heavily on very well constructed instructional material. They use their own Sabis books and material constructed by a staff of 120 experts. Because most of their schools are in third world countries their excellent instructional material means they are not dependent upon excellent teachers for great results. They tend to teach the class, by read this chapter and answer these questions. This teaches independent learning but it may not be stimulating or motivating to a 10 year old.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

Its a one size fits all approach to education, Some children don't do well with their system

Handles bullying effectively:
SCHOOL LEADER
We actively utilize the well-known Olweus Bullying Prevention Program and Character Education at our school. We don't like bullies or tolerate bullying behavior at our school. We proactively teach students from a young age these important life concepts.

Supports LD students:
SCHOOL LEADER
Our students come from the local community and around the world and share a variety of interests and global perspectives. They are talented, motivated and actively involved in their school community through academics, activities, athletics, and our Student Life Organization®. Together, ISM students thrive in an environment in which a love of learning, mutual respect, and commitment to cooperation transcend differences.

Effective school leaders:
SCHOOL LEADER
We certainly hope so! Effective August 2016, our school has the pleasure of having a new school director. Mr. Riggs has lived and taught in numerous countries (at ;east 5_ and brings a lifetime of knowledge and professionalism to our school.

Develops character:
SCHOOL LEADER
The Student Life Organization (SLO) at the school promotes leadership, mentorship, volunteering, social responsibility and more. All of this is done by students themselves! They gain valuable real-life skills alongside their regular classes and activities. This vibrant part of ISM recognizes and develops leadership qualities of all students in the context of their individuality.
Posted October 05, 2016

This will be our fifth year at ISM and we couldn't be happier. We started our kids in preschool and pre-k and have come to realize the solid foundational understanding they have developed in math, English and language; we chose Spanish. The teachers are incredible and truly care about the child's full development. While children should be challenged, and they certainly are at ISM, social development is also critical during the early years and the PS through Gr 5 teachers have been instrumental in my childrens' academic and social achievements.

I was student of this school, and I totally agree with previous one-two-star-reviews: intense pressure, we feel fear of certain stuff (especially, international students, I faced with one teacher who screamed at student, it was scary for child's psyche); many teachers are so lovely, but have different faces behind your back, very materealistic. I would love to share my experience! I was really excited to join this PRIVATE school, it seemed like I would receive excellent education and many great friends. Actually, they gave me easy classes, defined me to one-year-back grade, and refused to help me move forward. Is it fair? I'm straight A student, my average at ISM was A+. I'm really interested in science, and I'm doing great on it, but they kicked me of science class, because I already have 2 years experience on it in my birth country. Instead, I have art and physical education, which are really great, but I'm in age when person is interested in his future profession and professional field; I need to move forward, I have ambitions and self-confidence that I can handle with difficulties! Fortunately, I found good public school that can give this opportunity without spending THAT much money. Moreover, everything is exorbitant: lunches, buses, uniform, books. I spent huge amount of money, and I'm not happy. We grow on materialistic values: who drives the coolest car, who wear disighner's clothes, who spend more on lunches. And one more thing - uniform - if you wear different color socks except maroon, white and grey, they will mark it 'bad behavior' in webschool site.. Make your own choices, we're free nation. But I'm done, I don't think that this school worth that money. I love certain teachers and their art class is brilliant, but system in general should be different.

If I could give this school 10 stars, I would, but 5 stars is the maximum allowed. Not only does this school,offer a top notch college prep education, but it's devotion to the art, music & sports, is an exemplary model of what a well rounded educational program should be. When you have your 5 and 7 year old children speaking fluent French, recognizing world famous art styles, playing the piano and excelling in math & reading above grade level, you know that you have made the right choice In school.

Last modified The International School of Minnesota is a Private school that serves grades PK-12