Minneapolis, MN

Lake Country School 3

Posted December 27, 2014
This school is like the tale of two cities. It's wonderful when it's working, and it's awful when it's not. The environment is beautiful; the teachers are invested in the philosophy; the students and families are fairly racially diverse. It's like the ideal summer camp. With so much time invested in the social environment, student (academic) learning is spotty, dependent on how much time (and $) families are willing to spend out of school doing academic skill-building. Many (50%+) of the families are supplementing with tutoring, Kumon or intensive "extra-curricular" home schooling. Math facts and spelling are relegated to the realm of home life. It is disturbing to see many families struggling with the same issues (it starts with reading in kindergarten). Parents want to stay invested, but there is so little support. Many parents use the school as their social life. At its worst, it feels like a country club where the popular (read: rich) parents rule. At its best, the school creates spaces where you are encouraged to get to know fellow parents. I write this review with hope that the school can begin to live out its ideals more fully.

Posted October 29, 2014
This is a wonderful school that is great at developing creative independent thinking, wonderful working skills, motivation, love of learning. The kids have a chance to remain themselves and do what they love in this caring and educated community. They are taught in non-competitive, natural way, while building trust and respect among kids and teachers through great things that they do together: doing community work, older kids helping younger, working at the farm, traveling for two weeks together on the annual educational trip through the country, while camping in the most beautiful National parks, annual bike trips (Junior High). The community of families is intellectual, inclusive, greatly interested in learning. The kids develop real friendships, feel confident and motivated.

Posted October 25, 2014
We visited Lake Country School and left after observing the 3, 4 & 5 year old room. It was awful. The teachers were working only with a chosen few students. There was one little boy, about 3, who walked around the whole time aimlessly, pulling his shirt on/off. He looked lost and lonely and not one teacher ever noticed or engaged him. My husband and I were appalled at the rampant cliques and bullying with oblivious teachers. The kids kept coming over to us starved for attention. It was like a bad day care. We ran.

Posted September 14, 2014
After our child's recent graduation from college, we had extra time with him this summer before he headed off to graduate school. He is a Lake Country School graduate and that was what we noticed and remembered most as we listened to him talk about his experiences in college, his values around education, and his hopes and dreams for the present as well as the future. In his statement of intent to graduate school, it was also a pleasure to read his reflections on his experiences at Lake Country School and how growing up in a Montessori school gave him the opportunity to explore, discover, and to see his responsibility to self, to others, and to the earth. Lake Country School helped shaped his future and in so doing, shapes the future of the world for us all. This was such an eye-opener for us again this year. Thank you Lake Country School! Your work is a constant reminder of what education can be!

Lake Country School 3

Posted June 20, 2014
Sometimes I wonder if there's more value in sending my child to a park district preschool where they can sing songs, dance, etc. I don't know how beneficial it is to do 3 hours of metal insets or polish. Yes, I know there's a method to the Montessori curriculum and it helps prepares the child for next steps like, handwriting and reading... I don't know, I guess I haven't fully drank the "juice" as some of these parents call it. I'm still on the fence. Don't get me wrong, the teachers are wonderful and nurturing, but I do think they focus a lot more on the kindergartners and let the 3-4 yo's roam around freely and sometimes aimlessly. And what's up with the constant fundraising solicitations and calling people out if they haven't donated enough.

Posted August 28, 2013
Parents looking for a fabulous Montessori school for children and a supportive community for parents should look at Lake Country School. Our daughters attended Lake Country School from three years old through Junior High, They were encouraged to be the best people they could be, to be scholars and explorers, to be mathematicians and artists. My husband and I owe a great debt to Lake Country. Our daughters will meet the adult work world with integrity, courage and curiosity, the ability to lead and to listen, to collaborate and to take on big work.

Posted August 10, 2013
I observed in the classroom and saw some very concerning things. There was total chaos in the early childhood classroom. One child (3years old) found a plastic bag ad put it on his head. The teacher eventually noticed this and removed the bag. Another child was totally ignored in the corner sleeping and disengaged. Another child ran out of the classroom and it took the teacher a while to notice he was missing. The experience was very disappointing.

Posted April 25, 2013
If you're looking for a place where they don't care about your child's personal safety, then this is the school for you. My son was stabbed with a pencil and it broke the skin, but they didn't think it was an issue that needed to be addressed. on top of this was two months of 4 boys picking on my son at recess. A lot of talk about a "peaceful, welcoming community", but in reality my son didn't feel safe at school. Hard to believe given their reputation, but this was our experience.

Posted November 18, 2011
i enjoyed going to this school, as i am sure my father had the same experence. great people, great community.

Lake Country School 0

Posted April 28, 2010
Lake Country is the most engaging, respectful learning environment I have ever experienced. Their commitment to diversity is with parallel, and they live that commitment in real ways, every day of the year. Each child is encouraged for their gifts, and supported with their challenges. Lake Country teaches peace through philosophy and example. They educate, celebrate and honor children and families in all their wonderfully, various manifestations. Supporting Lake Country School means supporting the best all of us can give back to our world.

Lake Country School