No rating

Breck School

Private | PK-12 | 1143 students

Living in Minneapolis

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $142,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $840.

Posted November 13, 2014

I have seen their academic work flow in their Elementary, Middle, and High schools. They have a few teachers and students whom are rather rude, but they do manage to bring out children's talents and skills. They have many nice facilities, and few students are really two-faced (I have met a few and talked to some of the students about it). It really is a nice school to send your child to as I have visited it and my grandkids love it. One is a Harvard Graduate and the other is a middle school child.

Posted December 14, 2013

I am currently a sophomore at Breck and have been attending the school since kindergarten. I absolutely love Breck and it's become like a second home to me. All of the students are very nice and the teachers are fabulous. The academics are rigorous, but fantastic, so with enough variety of courses to suit the various student needs. Our arts are amazing, and our sports teams do very well for a smaller school. The campus (P-12 on the same campus) is beautiful, especially the new Upper School. Breck has a real since of community, whether you've been at Breck since preschool or came in 10th grade.

Posted May 16, 2013

I'm a Freshman at Breck, and I honestly LOVE it here! The bad reviews are kind of surprising to me, because a lot of them aren't true. For one, saying that lower and middle schoolers don't learn anything? That's a lie, I've been going to Breck since 2nd grade, and I've learned WAY more than I would at any other school. The people here are great - everyone is super nice and Breck is like a big family. It's one of those schools where you find yourself walking to class with a different person every day. My teachers are great...although the Science department could use some work...but as far as English and History go, I've had some of the best teachers! I'm seriously looking forward to spending the rest of my high school career here - I can't see myself anywhere else.

Posted May 13, 2013

After digging deeper and asking a lot of questions it be came very clear that Breck has a terrible lower and middle school curriculum. I would NOT consider sending my child to Breck for lower or middle school. Their lower school and middle school students have a lot of fun, but learn very little! Be sure to ask them to share their test scores if you choose to consider sending your child to Breck for lower or middle school.

Posted April 21, 2013

I have gone to Breck since preschool and truly love it here. The social stuff can be a bit hard and the curriculum is challenging, but for a student who adjusts well to change it is a great fit. The teachers are caring and really support each individual student. On top of that, the leadership and class opportunities are incredible. I would definitely recommend this school.

Posted September 15, 2012

This is not a school you would want to go to above the age of ten. After lower school, there is no point in going to Breck anymore. Four years ago, Breck lost a wonderful headmaster, and has completely redone the administrative system for the worse. Please, if you are debating whether to go to Breck, Blake, or any other independent school, pick another choice. Breck is not worth what your student will go through.

Posted June 7, 2012

This school is good in the education aspect, because they let you miss one class you don't like. For example, I do not like history, so I can take three years of history instead of four, or someone could miss a year of a language. The people are nice, unless you are on their bad side and can attack you verbally, or behind your back.

Posted March 4, 2012

We have had our child here for several years. While the cost is something to look twice at, we wouldn't have done it any other way. There's something to be said about how much these children are learning at such a young age...so many different lang. being taught at the P-K level, how many events there are to get family involved, sports, a beautiful, safe place for the children to learn... We're excited for the years to come for all our children..

Posted November 19, 2011

Breck's an amazing school. The teachers are excellent, the curriculum is challenging, and the people are amazing. You don't need to go there since preschool to find a place to fit, and so what if there are rich, snobby, overachievers? There are probably some at every school, and since when is it bad to cry over a B? Most kids have high aspirations (Ivy League), and though it's a highly competitive enviorment, your friends will stick with you. The small class size is perfect for some people, but if this isn't for you, I wouldn't suggest Breck. Overall, my experience has been, and will be, amazing. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted October 26, 2011

Breck School is a phenomenal school. Their whole child approach differentiates them from the rest of the private schools in the area. It is a magical place. Teachers, faculty and staff are amazing as well as the parents and children who attend.

Posted June 20, 2011

I am sorry, but social wise many of the kids at breck are either very two-faced or backstabbers. That is what makes it a hard school to adapt to, But i do agree with many of the other parents that the faculty and others do care alot, but many of the students can be crude and from that I would say send your kid to another school like Wayzata because I am a student there and I work to pay some of my tuition there and it is not worth my money. Alot can go wrong because many of the students do party so if you want to keep your kids safe send them somewhere else.

Posted February 8, 2011

I have been a student at Breck school all of my life. The social life, education, visual arts, and athletics have all been great experiences for me. There are many life long relationships that have been established for me and a very promising future with all of the schools preparations for college. If you want your son or daughter to grow into a successful, happy, and knowledgeable person then I highly suggest this school.

Posted November 14, 2010

Breck is an outstanding school. The way in which it handles pre-schoolers, kindergartners and first graders is highly impressive. After her first week our grandchild was upset on the first Saturday that she was not going to school! Kindergartners take a language (Spanish or Chinese) by excellent teachers, go to a music room, can take music lessons with the instruments provided for them, have a separate gym class, go to the library, get a book with their name on the front name plate to welcome them to Breck School (that book remains in the library) plus books to take out, and a "biddie" -- a 4th year student who takes them to lunch and acts as a big brother or big sister. Breck cares about what the children eat and drink as well. Healthy is the norm and the goal. We have sent two children to excellent private schools on the east coast and were happy with the schools but I must say that Breck is, hands down, the best private school I have ever encountered. They know what they're doing. And they really do care about their students. A lot. And that makes all the difference.

Posted May 1, 2010

Breck is not a happy place. On the surface it may appear to be a metropolis filled with joyous students socializing with their classmates and faculty, but if you scratch just a bit deeper, you'll find the cold hard center. Unlike most other students, I never put a lot of pressure on myself. But on more than one occasion, I saw girls crying because they got a B on a test... really? And this is the exact prototype of what they want a Breck, a snobby, rich, overachiever. Although I did make some truly wonderful life-long friends, I would say that the majority of the student body takes themselves and they're silly inconsequential lives far too seriously. The girls are cliquey and two-faced and the boys are rude to all the girls. If you haven't been there since preschool, it will be unlikely for you to find a place to fit.

Posted March 24, 2010

Breck is one of the best private schools one can send their kids to. The curriculum is tough, but close teacher support gives each student the opportunity to do well. Also, in Upper School, the freedom of creating your own schedule really lets each student find a place where they can do exceedingly well and let their talents shine. Whether they are interested in science or history research, math, visual arts, performing arts, or athletics, every student can get the best education they could possibly get without being overburdened. Aside from the academic standpoint, Breck is generally made up of smart, genuine people. At most, there are only a handful of snobby students in each grade. As a Breck student, I have never faced any sort of discrimination or felt uncomfortable here. Breck is definitely one of the best private schools in Minneapolis.

Posted August 6, 2009

One of the best schools you can count on, no matter what your circumstances are, Breck will stand closely by your side, and it will help you through the processes of painful education.

Posted May 24, 2009

Breck is a wonderful school. I had heard that there was another school (Blake) that was the premier academic institution. Coming from the East Coast I was looking for something with a little more strcture and discovered that Blake (although a wonderful school) was more organic and offered far less structure and quickly learned that Breck was actually the harder school to get into (with more pressure on diversity requirements due to the Episcopal influence). I am thankful we made the tough choice that we did between the two schools and highly recommend consideration for our child.

Posted April 21, 2009

Breck School can offer your child one of the best education in the mid-west region. They do have daily basis connection between parents - teachers, student - teachers with their one to one laptop policy. Their Academics are the best in MN I would say. Also, they do have strong alumni which helps your kids as they growing up.

Posted February 25, 2009

My child went to Blake School, but transfered to Breck, and I feel we made the wrong choice. Not only was Breck way less challanging for her, but the social and adminstrative structure was far less superior that those of Blake. If you and your family are trying to make a choice between the two, I recommend Blake. Althought Blake is more difficult to be accepted to, it is well worth the effort and money.

Posted December 11, 2008

i go to this school... im a freshman there and i have to say it is amzing!!!!! the teachers all all extremely supportive of everything i do, the class sizes are small (my history class only has 10 kids) and lunch is above par... lol but i definently suggest bringing ur kids here!!!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 11% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Episcopal
Associations
  • NAES
  • NAIS

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

123 Ottawa Avenue North