Public charter
Minneapolis, MN

Posted February 11, 2014
This is a terrific school that uses the responsive classroom approach. They teach kids how to learn, how to understand their emotions and control their own behavior. They are all taught to take risks and try new things. This year the state of MN designated New City as a Reward School.

Posted October 15, 2013
I have two children that attend New City, and this is our fifth year. It has been a wonderful experience all the way through! The principal and his staff do an amazing job creating a strong school community, it is a creative learning environment and we love the small class sizes. We feel extremely lucky to have found such a wonderful school, it's perfect fit for our family!

Posted October 09, 2013
New City School is a wonderful school enriched with their philosophy of Responsive Classroom and Development Designs. I love working here and seeing the kids grow academically and socially and learn skill they will carry with them all their lives. The staff is great to work with and we are always learners as well, we support one another throughout our work. We are one school together here with our staff, students and families! I highly recommend this school and getting to know more about it! Stop in for a visit, more information or to set up a tour!

Posted October 09, 2013
This is a school that is a shining example of what is and can be right in education! Bringing together a passionate and dedicated staff, inspiring leaders and supportive community, provides the students with the knowledge and skills to be responsible citizens. The school uses developmentally appropriate practices and content to meet the needs of all students. Using the research-backed approaches of The Responsive Classroom for the elementary students and Developmental Designs for the middle school provides a cohesive foundation that builds social-emotional skills, motivates students to achieve academically, creates inclusive learning communities and increases student self-management while connecting them to school. The school is surrounded by a supportive community and parent cohort. This school is providing students with an extremely well-balanced education that will grow productive responsible citizens.

New City School 1

Posted October 08, 2013
This school is a disappointment . My son says he hates it and would prefer to withdrawal. They say they promote art but my son says there has been no art class. I am very disappointed and will be withdrawing him soon. This school is not what we thought it would be and i warn parents that think that this school is good to be careful.

Posted October 08, 2013
New City School has been apart of my life since I was 16 and now 11 years later it is one of the TOP schools in the state. The diversity is priceless here and the Responsive Classroom Philosophy is the foundation of our student success and healthy environment! I LOVE New City and you should too!! Stop in for a visit!!! :)

Posted August 01, 2013
New City School is a safe community for children to develop socially and intellectually. The students spend much of their time learning in a variety of environments because there are many field trips throughout the year. We have been happy there for eight years now. Keep up the good work, New City!

New City School 4

Posted November 03, 2012
My daughter started NCS in the middle of first grade after homeschooling. She fit very comfortably in her classroom and said she felt like she'd been there forever! I love the small building and large windows in each room. I also love the outdoor play area, which has no playground, but instead a beautiful pine tree area with a "web" to climb and a big feild out back for more play space. Everyone knows each other and is respectful of one another. They also recently dedicated an area outside to butterflies, for learning opportunities. Art everyday and music with McPhail big pluses. I only wish they had lots more time outside- but this is a personal preference.

Posted October 11, 2012
My child is an 8th grader at New City School. He has attended since Kindergarten. Thanks to the Responsive Classroom social skills and character building curriculum, my child has gained the personal qualities needed to achieve academic success. He routinely scores within the top 5 percent on tests such as the MCA. While I believe that standardized tests are vastly overemphasized, there is a growing body of evidence that teaching social skills to children leads to greater academic success. New City School has a economically and ethnically diverse student body. Students learn how to work together as a community and to respect one another's differences. By teaching to the whole child and stressing the importance of community, New City School sets children up to be successful both in and out of the classrooom. This is all done on a tiny budget in an old building. Don't expect state of the art technology, although they are working on getting more tech funding. Other strengths inculde: strong emphasis on the arts, MacPhail music partnership, vibrant parent community.

Posted July 19, 2012
New City is a school where a child can truly get a balanced education. In addition to achieving better than state average scores in reading and math, students get in-depth learning in science, social studies, writing, and the arts, a rarity these days in public education. And unlike many charter schools, New City is truly diverse in its population, a great mix of cultures. As a grandparent, I was thrilled to see such an inclusive, safe, friendly community.

New City School
229 13th Ave NE, Minneapolis, MN  55413
Last modified New City School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
New City School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top