Kaleidoscope Charter School

Charter | K-8

Living in Otsego

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $155,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

Posted March 29, 2014

I've never done a rating or review on anything online, let alone a school before, but I think it's time and I want to share my happiness with the cyber world. :) Today I am proud to review a school, an extraordinary school be that.. We have battled and battled with our now middle school son for as long as I can remember on the school issue. Homework, going to school, kids that we're mean, etc.. We have always heard of Kaleidoscope but kept giving our son the chance at his school, because he didn't want to go to a new school. Finally we decided that it was time that we try something different, and "holy cow" Kaleidoscope school turned our son into a kid that we had to drag out of bed to go to school before, to waking us up to make sure he gets there on time! I've never heard so much when I've asked, "how was your day" before. Every day he comes home excited to do his homework, especially his MATH homework!! Makes me cry tears of joy! If I could give Kaleidoscope middle school 10 stars, I'd give them 20!!

Posted October 3, 2013

This school is amazing! We are so grateful that our daughter, nieces & nephews are all in an excellent school. The teachers communicate even on their days off. Small class sizes, great curriculum, and we love the fact that each child is treated as a special individual, not just a number. We really can't express how happy we are. Thank you to all the staff members of this great school.

Posted February 15, 2013

My children and I moved into an area we thought would be a nicce new start and it turned out to be a terrible school experience. My children were isolated, picked on, my autistic son was becoming angry, it was aweful watching happen. After a year and a half, we made the choice to move them out of their school and enroll them in Kaleidoscope (a 20 minute drive from home) . BEST decision EVER! My children are happy again! My boy is thriving, my daughter is happy and active and all of their skills both social and academic have grown by leaps and bounds! I cannot say enough about how happy we are as a family with this school. My children have something to look forward to every single day! Thmhe teachers blow my mind :)

Posted October 22, 2012

I love this school. We have small classes which means teachers can help students who are having problems in their class easier. Also since it is a small school it means less bad characters come to this school but the good thing is there aren't any bad characters in this school. I recommend this school for every child.

Posted May 27, 2012

We love this school! Both our children attended through 8th grade. The small class sizes and amazing care and attention they received from the teachers made a huge difference. Both my kids are honor roll students and taking PSEO classes in high school. If you are gifted and talented, this is a great school because they challenge everyone, not just the struggling kids.

Posted March 19, 2012

The best middle school in the area by far!! We moved our 7th grader to Kaleidoscope after she had given up on school because we heard how great it was from our neighbors. First time in 3 years, from the first day... I have not had to wake my daughter up to get ready for school!!! She is excited once again to go to school. Though we are behind on some subjects, which we now know, mainly math. We are fortunate enough to have come across a school where there is some very excellent teachers. Her math is skills have grown sooo much that she is actually starting to like it. I have nothing but great things to say about Kaleidoscope and there wonderful teachers!!!

Posted March 19, 2012

Super school and wonderful teachers! Moved here from out of of state and luckily found Kaleidoscope. Wouldn't have our children anywhere else, the teachers there are the best in the bizzz!!

Posted January 9, 2012

Could not wait to get my kids out! Five board members in the past three years have also removed their children from the school I wonder why? Poor leadership !!!!!!!!!!! No elementary social studies curriculum for the past eight years. School has had law suits they cover up and Quality teachers left go because they question the direction of the school:

Posted November 8, 2011

My children recently started at Kaleidoscope Charter School, and we could not be happier. After dealing with local schools that let bullies run rampant, we were happy to find a school filled with caring staff. I completely relate to the previous reviewer who moved their 7th grader to Kaleidoscope, as our son was in a similar position, and once again can enjoy school. We love that all the staff knows our who our children are, which is something we did not find at our local public schools. My kids feel cared about, challenged, and they also receive extra help if they need it.

Posted October 28, 2011

Great school and wonderful teachers!!! Really found a nice alternative to the public school. I love the atmosphere there.

Posted June 24, 2011

Kaleidoscope Charter School has excellent teachers! They have the students challenge themselves academically and provide them with life skills that many parents are not teaching their kids at home.

Posted June 22, 2011

couldn't wait to get in . . . and couldn't wait to return to my home school. Hmmm.

Posted May 29, 2011

I rate Kaleidoscope a 5 out of 5, and I will tell you why. We sent our son, who is in 7th grade now, to a public school all of his life. He loved school as a young boy and so we as parents were ecstatic. However, as he got older and into the public middle school, things started to change. He started to struggle. It wasn't the grades so much, just school in general. We didn't see the spark in his eyes each morning wanting to go and he DID start to avoid school. Well, after months of dealing with this, we came to discover an alternative, the charter school Kaleidoscope. I'll tell you now that it has been a God send! Our boy is back to enjoying school and waking up each morning excited to leave for school. I don't know what they do so different, but what ever it is, I am very happy and very thankful for them. They have some very good, dedicated teachers there that actually really care. I know this, because I've spent time talking with them. Two teachers of which, I have to recommend for "National Teacher of the Year" would be Mr. N and Mr. M. Our son cannot stop talking about them, and we thank them for everything that they do!

Posted May 13, 2010

I really love this school! Before Kaleidoscope I went to a public school and right when I was out of Kindergarten the teachers barely payed attention to the students, but it's completely different at Kaleidoscope. The teachers always try to challenge you and are very kind! My brother even went up a grade! I highly recommend Kaleidoscope Charter School if you want kindness from all the staff, a challenge in learning, and a fun time!
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 11, 2010

My children have attended Kaleidoscope for the past 4 years. After a very disappointing experience in the public 'regular' school district and its lack of a gifted program, this school challenged my children and met their individual needs. Regarding posters comments on communication, I actually have to keep up with all of the e-mails etc, from them! The parent portal allows for you to have another measure of how well your child is doing in addition to the teachers in-put.

Posted March 29, 2010

Kaleidoscope is an excellent school. All the teachers and staff are very friendly and make the kids feel like they are part of the family. It is a much warmer environment then what we experienced when touring the public school in the area. My son really enjoys going to school at Kaleidoscope. His teachers have always been very responsive to his needs and often go out of their way to make sure that he continues to excel. I would recommend Kaleidoscope to any parent who is looking for a caring and fun learning environment for their child.

Posted January 11, 2010

I have been very disappointed with the school's lack of communication since they hired a new director. The school board has continually stated that improving communication was a priority. The new director not only fails to respond to parents questions, but also his communication should be cleaned up prior to his sending it home to families.

Posted April 29, 2009

i juv it here. people r nice and there r not any bullys. and everyone is smart and athletic but im not the best speller in the school though. as u can see=]
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 12, 2009

I sent my son here because of all the hype but have been very disapointed. The communication between his teacher and myself is next to nil and I really do not feel like she has his best interest in mind. They teach to the average student and do not give enough attention to anyone else.

Posted December 18, 2008

Great school for those parents looking to stay well informed with their child's day to day educational progress. They keep me informed each day what my child did, no more trying to get an answer to the question, 'So what did you do in school today?' Kaleidoscope also is very flexible with my child's individual needs before, during, and after school. A dream for those parents sick of their child just being another body lost in a public school.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2012.

48 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Minnesota used the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment-II (MCA-II) to test students in math in grade 11. The MCA-II is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Minnesota. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2010.

47 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2010.

50 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 46% in 2011.

48 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2012.

37 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2010.

37 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2012.

32 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 44% in 2011.

47 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students83%
Female91%
White84%
Economically non-disadvantaged83%
Students without disabilities81%
Proficient in English83%
Non-migrant83%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Minnesota Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data is not reported for that group.

All Students85%

Students without disabilities92%
Proficient in English78%
Non-migrant78%

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Minnesota used the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment-III (MCA-III) to test in math in grades 3 through 8 in reading in grades 3 through 8 and 10 and in science for grades 5 and 8, and once in high school. The MCA-III is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Minnesota. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 44% in 2013.

All Students74%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 13%N/A37%
Female 47%N/A49%
Male 53%N/A51%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7525 Kalland Ave NE