St. Paul, MN
Students enrolled: 1,091

Posted November 24, 2014
As a student of Humboldt High School I'd say I had made the best decision to attend Humboldt as a 7th grader and still continuing until I graduate. Don't believe what you hear, actually experience it to know the true. Our school is very diverse and a lot of student came to our school without knowing English. It's hard for them to learn and the ELL Departments are doing their best in every way possible to help bloom a flower. On the other side, we do have kids who treated education as nothing. They came to school unprepared to learn without any materials. They gives teachers hard time but the teacher never give up on them, they will not stop until they help created a painting full of smile and tears. Humboldt is one of the school that cares about its student and their learning. Don't compare our test scores to other school. Don't look at how low it is. Come to our classroom and experience how hard teachers work to make sure flowers are bloom daily and make the lightbulb pop. Come see how our student who lacked English as their first language improve each day as they received the help from teachers. Come see those who failed trying to get back up with encouragement from teachers.

Posted November 08, 2014
The staff care about every student, even their past students no longer in their classrooms. I have seen college students even come back to get math help from their high school math teacher! I have also seen former students back to volunteer or work in Humboldt's after school program. It's great to see graduates so connected still to their high school.

Posted January 11, 2014
One word to describe it.....HORRIBLE!!! Full of bad students and the teachers and staff are just about the same. Especially the principal.! They will do their best to get u to sign up with them and afterwards u will never see them again. I saw the principal a couple days later and she didn't even recognize me! They have cops walking in and out of the school with dogs. Very unsafe and very unorganize!!

Humboldt Secondary School 4

Posted January 08, 2014
Humboldt High School Good example of successful navigating challenges of diverse student population. Very strong, diverse leadership team.

Posted August 05, 2013
Humboldt is a very poor school. Just check out the test scores! There are many schools locally and nationally with similar demographic bhey are performing much better. All the five Star reviews are from teachers whoapparently feel the need to justify their poor performance. Admin. supports poor teachers WHO tow the party line.

Posted June 29, 2013
Humboldt is a gem in Saint Paul. How wonderful is it that in a large urban city like Saint Paul, we can offer our children a school where there are not 2500 nameless students wandering the hallways. The staff know and care about each and everyone of the students at Humboldt. It is not like other schools. It is a second home for my children. The teachers care about the students as if they were their own. My children are afforded opportunities and individual attention that I know would go attended at the factory-like larger schools in the community and surrounding suburbs. Bigger is not always better. This is truly the case when it comes to a child's education. Don't be fooled by skewed scores and polls. This is a class act school.

Posted December 26, 2012
Humboldt is a school with a lot of problems. The students are great, and deserve a great education, but this is not the place to get one. The administration is weak--lacking in vision, judgment, and communication ability. The teaching staff is split, some great, but many with low skills that don't match their arrogant attitudes. The conflicts between staff members--in and between departments and between staff and administration--combined with very poor decision making by school and district administration make it a toxic environment that harms instruction, programs, and students. A word to the wise: If you care about your kids, don't send them to this school.

Posted September 20, 2012
In reading the reviews of Humboldt, I see mixed reviews from a former teacher. I know the principals in St. Paul are working to remove weak teachers who demonstrate weak instruction and wonder if the negative review is from a teacher who he worked to terminate. I've reviewed Humboldt's academic growth data and their data shows students may be starting below grade level when the enter Humboldt, but they intervene and get the students at or above grade level when they graduate.

Posted September 20, 2012
I am an ELL teacher currently working at Humboldt, and would like to dispute some of the claims made by others on here. I believe that the teachers and the administration at the school are doing a wonderful job with ALL of the students at the school. They work tirelessly to make Humboldt the best it can be, often spending long hours after school and on weekends. Many of students that come to us are refugees with limited formal schooling, and as I look at the data, I'm amazed at how much progress our students have made. It's not always easy being in a place where you're pushed and challenged to be the best you can be and to find new ways to improve, but I'm glad that I'm here. It's an honor to work with the students here, and I've become a better teacher in the process.

Posted September 20, 2012
As a teacher at Humboldt High School I was stunned by the harsh review from a disgruntled teacher. The remarks about the administration are not true. I worked for over 10 years in a different high school and when I transferred to Humboldt I discovered an incredible principal and assistant principal here. I ve worked in private business and now public education and I ve never had such accessible, responsive and truly helpful bosses. The disgruntled teacher stated, administration does not comprehend the needs of a large percentage of their student population, the ELL English Language Learners. What that teacher doesn t seem to understand, is the fact that our administration is implementing research based programs developed to challenge and push the students to close the achievement gap. We ARE making a difference and our data shows it. We have such incredible students at Humboldt who come from very diverse cultures and educational backgrounds, and the staff here impressed me from my very first day. Their level of dedication and their desire to work with every student to help them advance in all their academic skills is remarkable. These teachers have heart .

Humboldt Secondary School
30 East Baker St, St. Paul, MN  55107
Last modified Humboldt Secondary School is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Humboldt Secondary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top