Humboldt Secondary School

Public | 6-12 | 1091 students

Graduating students which are college prepared and environmentally aware.

Posted January 11, 2014

One word to describe it.....HORRIBLE!!! Full of bad students and the teachers and staff are just about the same. Especially the principal.! They will do their best to get u to sign up with them and afterwards u will never see them again. I saw the principal a couple days later and she didn't even recognize me! They have cops walking in and out of the school with dogs. Very unsafe and very unorganize!!

Posted January 8, 2014

Humboldt High School Good example of successful navigating challenges of diverse student population. Very strong, diverse leadership team.

Posted August 5, 2013

Humboldt is a very poor school. Just check out the test scores! There are many schools locally and nationally with similar demographic bhey are performing much better. All the five Star reviews are from teachers whoapparently feel the need to justify their poor performance. Admin. supports poor teachers WHO tow the party line.

Posted June 29, 2013

Humboldt is a gem in Saint Paul. How wonderful is it that in a large urban city like Saint Paul, we can offer our children a school where there are not 2500 nameless students wandering the hallways. The staff know and care about each and everyone of the students at Humboldt. It is not like other schools. It is a second home for my children. The teachers care about the students as if they were their own. My children are afforded opportunities and individual attention that I know would go attended at the factory-like larger schools in the community and surrounding suburbs. Bigger is not always better. This is truly the case when it comes to a child's education. Don't be fooled by skewed scores and polls. This is a class act school.

Posted December 26, 2012

Humboldt is a school with a lot of problems. The students are great, and deserve a great education, but this is not the place to get one. The administration is weak--lacking in vision, judgment, and communication ability. The teaching staff is split, some great, but many with low skills that don't match their arrogant attitudes. The conflicts between staff members--in and between departments and between staff and administration--combined with very poor decision making by school and district administration make it a toxic environment that harms instruction, programs, and students. A word to the wise: If you care about your kids, don't send them to this school.

Posted September 20, 2012

In reading the reviews of Humboldt, I see mixed reviews from a former teacher. I know the principals in St. Paul are working to remove weak teachers who demonstrate weak instruction and wonder if the negative review is from a teacher who he worked to terminate. I've reviewed Humboldt's academic growth data and their data shows students may be starting below grade level when the enter Humboldt, but they intervene and get the students at or above grade level when they graduate.

Posted September 20, 2012

I am an ELL teacher currently working at Humboldt, and would like to dispute some of the claims made by others on here. I believe that the teachers and the administration at the school are doing a wonderful job with ALL of the students at the school. They work tirelessly to make Humboldt the best it can be, often spending long hours after school and on weekends. Many of students that come to us are refugees with limited formal schooling, and as I look at the data, I'm amazed at how much progress our students have made. It's not always easy being in a place where you're pushed and challenged to be the best you can be and to find new ways to improve, but I'm glad that I'm here. It's an honor to work with the students here, and I've become a better teacher in the process.

Posted September 20, 2012

As a teacher at Humboldt High School I was stunned by the harsh review from a disgruntled teacher. The remarks about the administration are not true. I worked for over 10 years in a different high school and when I transferred to Humboldt I discovered an incredible principal and assistant principal here. I ve worked in private business and now public education and I ve never had such accessible, responsive and truly helpful bosses. The disgruntled teacher stated, administration does not comprehend the needs of a large percentage of their student population, the ELL English Language Learners. What that teacher doesn t seem to understand, is the fact that our administration is implementing research based programs developed to challenge and push the students to close the achievement gap. We ARE making a difference and our data shows it. We have such incredible students at Humboldt who come from very diverse cultures and educational backgrounds, and the staff here impressed me from my very first day. Their level of dedication and their desire to work with every student to help them advance in all their academic skills is remarkable. These teachers have heart .

Posted September 19, 2012

One more thing I love about Humboldt: the positive energy that is in the building. I have worked at 4 other schools and Humboldt is by far the most positive and has students who really pull for each other. To address the post below: 1) Our Admin is amazing. They are so phenomenal, in fact, that they are often offered positions at other schools. They are responsible, caring and push our staff to be phenomenal. 2) I would like to know about schools with similar demographics that are exceeding expectations. Like every other school in our district and state, we all have a long ways to go to meet our goals. Great place- I had a sub for the half the day today and she said that Humboldt is special because the kids are extremely respectful and the staff is caring and kind. GO HAWKS!

Posted September 17, 2012

Humboldt is a phenomenal school! It is very innovative and growth oriented. The administrators and teachers are dedicated to their students and their success. The staff is welcoming and available to work with students one on one to help student achievement. Humboldt has a diverse population and many students speak two or more languages. The students feel safe at Humboldt and know they will be challenged and supported in their classes.

Posted August 1, 2012

St. Paul's Humboldt Secondary School is an amazing place to teach and get an education! The vast majority of students are respectful and very eager to learn. Teachers work extremely hard to understand and meet the needs of this very diverse student body. I've found administration very welcoming, open to suggestions and concerns, and always interested in what's best for our students. A career in education is not for pansies and no school is perfect, but I stay at Humboldt because I love the kids and feel well supported by administration from the top down. We're helping grow super citizens with good minds and hearts, and I'm proud to be a Humboldt teacher!

Posted September 8, 2008

Humboldt doesn't live up to its expectation... it holds much higher! Humboldt is often looked down upon, when I don't believe it should. With a small school you really connect with your teachers, and get great chances for many opportunities, and you get to know everyone in the school. If I ever have an issue, I can think of a good handful or adults I could go to for help. Even the Principal and Vice Principals know you by name, and greet you daily. Humboldt promises to have a college student for every student. I am a member of ETS and it has brought me MANY opportunities preparing me for college. Teachers really care about you, as an individual. They'll even ask if you're doing okay when you're having an off day. You get a great connection with them, along with your classmates. Our sports are small, but they're incredibally enjoyable.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 8, 2008

I go to Humboldt Senior High. I was nervous about going there bcuz of the reputation, but i learned a lesson: don't believe everything you hear! The teachers care about you, the adminstrators know me by my first name, even the principal (sodomka knows everyone!) and he cares, our sports aren't the best but thats cuz we are so small and don't have a lot of kids on the teams. My classes are really small-like 15 kids in a class, which is good because we get can individualized help. Their AP classes are tough, but you learn a lot and teacher make it interesting. Humboldt really pushes us toward college; I'll admit, I didn't think I'd go to college when I started, but they've taken me to campuses, encouraged to take harder classes (pre-AP/AP) and have gotten help from ETS (a college access program here) and other HHS. Humboldt's A+++!
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 2, 2007

I have to admit, sending my son to Humboldt was not my choice but with changing jobs I was unable to drive him to the school I wanted anymore. Humboldt was the dumping grounds for all the problem children in St. Paul! When registering my son I talked with the Principal for an hour and a half about the concerns and problems that I had. I told him that he had a half year to convince me that I made the right chioce. I did!! My son since changing over to Humboldt is an 'A' student and because I am an involved parent the teachers really help me stay on top of my son. I can't say enough about the school. They have really opened a lot of doors for my son, college wise! They recieved a bad reputaion and I hope that changes, it really is a great school!

Posted October 5, 2006

The quality of academic programs seem to be well, they seem to have a variety of business classes, which I really approve of for my daughter. I am not too sure of the parent involvement, I never seem to get any announcements or such as to needing parent involvement of any sort. That should be a priority.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2012.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Minnesota used the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment-II (MCA-II) to test students in math in grade 11. The MCA-II is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Minnesota. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2010.

103 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2012.

90 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2010.

113 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2012.

97 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 44% in 2011.

114 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2012.

133 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2011.

139 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Minnesota used the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment-III (MCA-III) to test in math in grades 3 through 8 in reading in grades 3 through 8 and 10 and in science for grades 5 and 8, and once in high school. The MCA-III is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Minnesota. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 54% in 2013.

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 54% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 44% in 2013.

137 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 62% in 2013.

141 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

172 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Studentsn/a

Proficient in Englishn/a
Eligible for migrant servicesn/a
Not migrantn/a
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Minnesota Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, data is not reported for that group.

All Students15%

English language learners0%
Proficient in English16%
Not migrant9%

Writing

The state average for Writing was 88% in 2013.

168 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Minnesota used Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment-II Graduation-Required Assessments for Diploma (MCA-II/GRAD) to test students in grade 9 in writing and 11 in math. The MCA-II/GRAD is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Minnesota. Students must pass the MCA-II/GRAD in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2012.

133 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 37% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 92%N/A37%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Cherokee Heights
Riverview/Roosevelt
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Hmong
German
French
Arabic languages
Amharic
American sign language
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Engineering

• Performing arts
  • Visual arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

Language learning

• Foreign languages
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs

School start time
  • 7:30 am
School end time
  • 2:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 4:00 p.m.
  • Mikel Sodomka
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Technology
  • Visual arts
  • Vocational education
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses
  • Summer college prep programs
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Performance stage
  • Science lab
  • Swimming pool
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor