Greenville Weston High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 1798 students

Sweep tile

Posted July 6, 2010

our school needs a big ungrade from the school budget all the way up to more qualified teachers..

Posted August 31, 2008

I would give the school a 4 for its efforts. The teachers and administrators do their very best, but their are people in higher positions of deputy superintendent and superintendent which are allowing terrible things to take place. They sit back or either they actively participate in the bad decisions that the school board makes. I only wish that parents would take a stand for the right things and go to these school board meetings and be heard. The children are losing out and no one is doing anthing. We are all adults and are supposed to be professional, but the school board is making decisions based on a political buddy system. They need to learn that the school district is a business and should be ran as such. I give the teachers and principals a 4 for effort.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 21, 2008

I'm a current junior here at GWHS and personally I would say our school is a great school! every school has its up downs, I mean no school is perfect. We have a new principal and new adminstrators and they are doing a great job! I would say our school has improved!I love GWHS with all my heart and I know it is a great school! Most of the teachers and staff prpeare you for college! they try to help you past your state test and every thing! They try their best and I personally can s ay GWHS is one of the best! I just hate the fact that we are the only school in the Mississippi that gets out at 3:53 most of the time four! I feel that really needs to be changed! Go Hornets! I have faith in this school!

Posted November 24, 2007

I am a former student of T. L. Weston High School. I disagree with a lot of the ratings. You can not hold the school responsible for all the problems that are occurring. Yeah, they do have a lot of problems. Regardless of the problems at the school, it is your responsiblity to make the best out the situation. If you feel you did not receive a good education, don't blame the school. If it wasn't for the teachers at the school who cared about the students, I wouldn't be where I am now. I had to realize that I couldn't let the negative things influence my education and they taught me that. I am not saying that there are not problems, but I feel the good things outweighs the bad things.

Posted August 24, 2007

I have to agree with the former students below me. I attended Greenville Weston High School my freshman and sophmore years. The way not only seniors but the whole student body was treated was outrageous. We had to walk in a single file line to lunch and you had to eat at the table with your class,and there were no pep rallies or anything having to do with school spirit. After a while students just get used to the routine. Its like a prison for eight hours. As far as the academics go there were alot of good teachers at Greenville Weston but because some students don't come to learn; they spend alot of their time writing referals. I wouldn't advise any parent to send their child to Greenville Weston High School, especially the Weston campus.

Posted February 5, 2006

I am a senior here at GWHS and I believe that we as seniors don't have the privileges that we've earned. The GPSD has made it so that we are not treated like the young adults that we are but like convicts in the state pen.

Posted November 14, 2005

I graduated from Greenville-Weston High and I totally agree with the former teacher from there. Everything about the schools are inept. For example, the young lady who graduated from Greenville High and praised the school's efforts used a lower case I and misspelled ATTENDED. Case closed. The majority of the students who graduate from the schools are poorly equipped to attend any university. Take it from me. I've a first hand account!

Posted October 25, 2005

I am a frequent visitor of many schools throughout the delta. I have found that GWHS is one of the better schools that I have visited. The major focus is teaching and learning. It is true that it is not a perfect school,but it is far better than any of the others that I have visited. On a percentage basis,the school's discipline problems are about average when compared to the other local schools within a 50 mile radius. I can say that for the most part, the Greenville Campus has far less violence than I anticipated when looked at from a percentage basis. The teachers do seem to be more self-centered than focusing on the children. They are still teaching, but not to their greatest potential. I have noticed that one Adm., Mr. C..., seems to be very concerned for the students and their education. I think he will go places.

Posted September 30, 2005

As a parent of a senior in the Class of 2006, I can honestly say that I have not been pleased with the quality of the school in recent times. I feel that too much emphasis is placed on disciplining bad students, and not enough rewards and benefits are given to students who care and perform well. No pep rallies, not many senior priveledges, and unecessary rules about things that wouldn't really affect the majority of the student body as a whole, like the ridiculous rule that prohibits wearing hooded sweaters (these come in handy in cold weather). Students who do come to school, who make good grades, and display good conduct should have extra incentives on a regular basis. Recently, Jackson State offered High School Day for seniors. My son, a graduating senior and an A student, along with his peers, should have been there. I am not pleased.

Posted June 21, 2005

I am not a parent of this school, but I am an upcoming senior at GWHS. Yea it's true that Greenville- Weston isn't the best school in the world, but it is a good one. In the past, I think my school wasn't really preparing students for collge. However, GWHS has come a long way and has new and more educated teachers that can prepare students for college. I am a witness to this because in the fall I'll be taking AP Calculus, a class that I know wasn't there 4 or 5 years ago. Like I said before my school has come a long way and I wouldn't want to be at any other school.

Posted May 16, 2005

I am a former teacher at GWHS, and I can honestly say that the school does not prepare students for college or for a resposnible adult life. Students are not held accountable for their actions. The administration is unorganized and inept. Many teachers act as imature as the students and do not behave professionally. The good kids who want to succeed are ignored and fall through the cracks. The bad kids receive special priveleges and inexhaustible 'second' chances.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 25, 2004

I am not a parent of a student at this school, but i am a graduate of this school. GWHS is the best school that i ever attened. The teachers are wonderful, there's not another school that i would have wanted to graduate from. I am so proud to be a graduate of that school.

Posted October 31, 2004

I am not a parent at Greenville Weston, but I am a recent graduate. GWHS was decent. It was not the best school, and if I had the choice, I would hve gone somewhere else. I wish It would have stayed as GHS and T.L. Weston. The schools were much better seperate. The merger hurt our district. There are a lot of unqualified teachers and some of the administrators are petty. So, being truthful, GWHS did not prepare me for college.

Posted September 15, 2004

I'm not a parent of a student at Greenville-Weston High School, but a freshman here, and I must say that I do love it here. All of the the teachers here know enough about what they teach that they don't need a book. We do use them though. And the teachers here care about each and every one of their students here, and so do the administrators. That makes this school the great one that it is. I was attending school in Arkansas, but I had to come here, and I would say that I am glad I came and if I had to choose I would choose GWHS. This school is the best school that I have attended in my life. So if anyone is looking for a wonderful high school experience, they should come to Greenville-Weston High School.

Posted July 4, 2003

I am not a parent but, a student of the Weston Campus. I find my school to be a great one, I love it.I have been to many schools in my life time by far this is the best.I feel that my teachers care about the students at my school. They also know what they are teaching, which is also great.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 97% in 2012.

333 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

397 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 63% in 2013.

513 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

330 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 62% in 2013.

279 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Fax number
  • (662) 334-7060

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now