9-12 & Ungraded
Gulfport, MS
Students enrolled: 1,514

Harrison Central High School 1

Posted April 21, 2014
This school is one of the very worst I have seen. I have traveled the country and attended many different schools, due to my parents being in the military, and this school is the worst. The students are almost encouraged to act like little morons, just so the staff can get a laugh. And the teachers themselves are held accountable only for themselves and not the quality of education put out within the class room. The discipline of the staff and student body is ridiculous. I came to harrison central in my 9th grade year and was thrown into an education system that was on par with my 6th grade school. Advanced classes that are offered are a joke and the scholarship parternships with local colleges and universities are non existent. The board members are simply useless as there is never a change year in and year out to anything, look at the test scores (90% of students in 2010 were proficient in Algebra 1 compared to a ridiculous 68% in 2013), this by itself should be cause for teachers and board members to get the axe, but here we are with the same pathetic staff that we had last year. How did the school split in two and still have an above 20 student per teacher ratio?

Harrison Central High School 4

Posted November 15, 2013
This is a wonderful school. The students are for the most part well-behaved, and the teachers are well-prepared. Mr. Bush is an awesome principal. His hands on approach with the students is highly effective. The counselors in the Guidance Department are both knowledgeable and dedicated. Students are given pertinent educational planning information in a timely fashion. The teaching staff, like all public school teaching staff, are pulled in many directions. Harrison Central's teachers definitely put in the time. Harrison Central High School is a highly innovative school where student needs come first. This school is on the cusp of greatness.

Posted September 03, 2009
I happen to be a new lil freshman at Harrison Central High School. We added 9th grade this year, you guys should know. The new principal, Dr. Toriano Holloway, is undoubtedly top of the line. The teachers are expected from, and they keep high expectations for their students. Sometimes the discipline seems ridiculous, however they are trying to weed out the students who don't apply themselves and act their age. Janitors are always on the go, and it is rather clean. So with tidiness on lock, discipline in a hold, and education being pushed, Dr. Holloway's slogan- 'A New ERA at HCHS: Expectations, Results, Accountability'- is very proper.

Posted August 02, 2009
I am a recent graduate of Harrison Central High School (c/o 2009) and I will be attending Millsaps College soon! I really enjoyed my experience there! The teachers I had definitely cared about my education and most of them showed great interest in seeing each student progress and become successful. This school has almost every extracurricular activity you can imagine and it is easy for any student to become involved. I was a member of 13 clubs/orgainzations... I did not have a car but I found a way to make the meetings and still keep my grades up. I know for a fact that at least 9 students graduated with a QPA over 4.0 and there were 55 students considered high honors at graduation (GPA >3.5). HCHS graduated 523 students this year and most of them have plans of attending college or a trade school.

Posted February 18, 2009

Harrison Central High School 0

Posted January 18, 2008
Most people think it is the teachers full responsiblity to educate their children, it is a shared responsibility along with the parent. You have to stay involved and communicate with their teachers. I will soon have my 3rd child graduate from HCHS with high honors. They are well rounded, respected young adults. As parents we made education a priority all through the school years, not just the elementary years. I am proud of them, they have worked hard for their accomplishments. Another key word, work, it takes work from the student, parents and teachers!

Posted August 31, 2007

Harrison Central High School 3

Posted January 13, 2006
- a former student
I attended HCHS until 1996. In looking back this school badly failed most students that i attended with, an earlier comment about graduating more students than other coast schools, graduates don't count if they can't read and i know of at least 4 persons who 'graduated HCHS' my senior year who were illiterate. After viewing the HCHS website i saw that many of the same horrible teachers are still there. That taught me and it is a crying shame. Peter Welsh

Harrison Central High School 3

Posted January 10, 2006
- a former student
My personal dealings with HCHS are ones of good and bad reports. It would be a mistake to say that it is an overall low quality school. Like all things there are things that can be improved. Some teachers can be more helpful I believe, but I am thankful for the the teachers who helped me make it all three years i was there. It all boils down to the student their attitudes towards school. Let us not forget this is a High School not a Daycare. Some teachers and administrators are more cocern with discipline the acadimic advancements.

Harrison Central High School 1

Posted August 05, 2005
- a former student
From my personal experience at HCHS, I hated it. Students were too judgemental, teachers were too harsh, and my counselor encouraged me to drop out of high school to get my GED. The same thing happened to one of my siblings. I think if the principal of HCHS and Henry Arledge would get together and get rid of the bad apples they have in thier staff tree, HC would be a much better school.

Harrison Central High School
15600 School Rd, Gulfport, MS  39503
Last modified Harrison Central High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Harrison Central High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top