Three Rivers Elementary School

Public | K-6 & ungraded

Posted January 14, 2013

I was told that this school is the best in the district! If this is true then the entire school district needs an overhaul!! Parental envolvment is NOT encouraged. And even if it were the PTA is a joke! The grading system is non sense! There is NO grading scale! If there is then someone does not know how to count! A coach lost an entire class walking around the school outside!! And inmates are the groundkeepers!! At the first oppertunity we will be out of this area fast!!

Posted March 22, 2012

My son started this school this year he was an A/B student kindergarten and 1st grade now he is a C D and F student. I went to the school complained and finally the principle got tired of me and rudely told me that he will be moved to another room. I was also told that maybe I needed to get him medication for ADD. My son is a well behaved child he might get a yellow day once a month. So behavior is not an issue. The problem that I feel exist is that the way the material is being presented to the children. He reads on his level and a great speller some days he makes A's and some days F's. I reluctantly put him on medication and after four months of medication and hours of helping him he is a c average student. YAH!!! His doctor feels that there is a problem but if it was the ADD the medication would have helped and if it was a learning disability he would not do well at some areas and poorly in others. His doctor is sugeesting that it could be a problem at schhol and the way the material is been presenting. I love my neighboohodd so moving is not an option. Terrible school they are to focus on those test scores and not on the academic achievement of each individual child.

Posted January 18, 2012

This is my daughters first year at that school, she is in the first grade. The only thing I can say is that my daughter will not attend this school ever again. The academic program is good, but their methods of teaching are far from satisfactory. After various teacher meetings, they do not provide the assistance needed for students to learn the curriculum. The first thing they do is suggest that my child has a learning disability, which left the feeling of being insulted. My daughter feels scared to ask the teacher for help in the classroom. She has admitted that the teacher gets upset when the students get a wrong answer and are told to stand in the back of the class. With two teachers in the one class how can the students had problems understanding the curriculum. I do my part at home. The teachers need to do their part. If you can afford the private school route, take it. Avoid this school. Thanks to them my daughter is now at risk of failing the first grade. Kids should feel comfortable asking questions and help from the teachers, not be afraid.

Posted September 30, 2011

This is a rude school. Parents are made to feel unwelcomed. Behavior programs are unfair. The teachers dont treat the children with the same respect they demand. The principal and vice principal are extremely rude and unfair. Kids are lucky if they get recess. It is a terrible learning environment.

Posted December 14, 2010

This is a beautiful school. The staff is very friendly. My son has learned a lot in a little amount of time from his time of transfer to this school. I'm very pleased with the difference.

Posted November 15, 2010

This school is the worst school my children have been to yet. My daughter who is in 4th grade this year has a horrible teacher. She went from straight A's from K-2nd, Then we move here and attend TRE and she is failing. I have a son who is in 1st grade and he begs me everyday to stay home, his teacher is rude and mean. They are so worried about their test scores and having them act like they are adults. They are kids. They need to have more patience, and work with kids who are slower then others, instead of suggesting to parents they take their kids and drug them. MY CHILDREN WILL NOT BE ATTENDING TRE next year. Its so bad right now i've thought about home schooling them

Posted July 28, 2010

I have three children at TRE this school- year and one that attended TRE previously. After attending schools in many of the local school districts I can say my kids have had the most support at TRE. My children have shown a marked improvement in their grades and have thoroughly enjoyed the teachers and staff there. They get excited about the gifted program and are enthusiastic in general about attending this school. The only thing on my wish list is a little more recess time, and I know from my involvement in the PTA they are working hard to make this happen. Thanks TRE!

Posted February 24, 2010

My children have been to 3 different schools in MS, beacuse of moving for housing since Katrina.....We have now settled in the worst school they have been too.... They always take their recess... my fifth grader gets one recess a week. They already overload them. The kindergarten here is like boot camp. They worry more about state test scores rather than the childs well being. My kindergatner begs me to send her to another school. She is tired all the time. They took nap time away also. They cram too much material in.... In kindergarten they are already preparing them for the THIRD GRADE STATE TEST!!!! This is absurd they totally by passed the basics.,......LANGUAGE ARTS in kindergarten, also my fifth grade student is making the worst grades ever. He went from straight A's every year to FAILING. I will not be sending my kid sto this school next year....

Posted January 19, 2010

very disappointed with this school! the teachers and principal are rude and the rules are ridiculous. and even though parental involement is encouraged parents are not welcomed in the school.

Posted December 13, 2009

I am extremely disappointed with this school. Parent involvement is greatly discouraged, even though they tell you they want you there they don't. My kindergarten age child has 27 kids in his class. The rules are ridiculous. The teachers are overworked and criticized for everything. No wonder MS schools rank at the bottom. You try and teach 27 five year olds how to read single handedly Parents are not welcome to help in the classroom.

Posted June 4, 2009

My child goes to this school and im a part of her pta and i think its an amazing school my child always gets good grades and it is the fist pbs model school

Posted March 14, 2008

i am not impressed with the principle, or the help that she or the teacher is willing to offer children with some special needs. it is now in the third nine weeks and it has taken yet another imbarrisng teacher/ student moment to get my daughhter out of this class.

Posted December 23, 2007

This is a great school. I have been going to it for 7 years and absolutely love it. The learning style is helpful. The teachers are very nice and help with learning in a very affective way.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 5, 2006

I have two children attending tre. One in 4th grade and one ine kindergarten. I was dissappointed about not having accelerated classes this year. This also should have been explained to the parents. I also don't think teachers should use such a big reward system in kindergarten. I don't think that most of them even understand some of the things they did wrong to be left out of getting treats. I know my son doesn't all the time. I have been impresses with the teachers' abilities to teach my children. I have had no major problems or conflicts.Love the security.

Posted April 28, 2006

It seems to me that quality of academics is about all that can be expected from any Harrison County school -- average, at best. Three Rivers administrative branch is comprised of smug, bored, sluggish elitists whose only purpose appears to be picking up the paycheck and counting the days until retirement.

Posted April 5, 2006

Teachers are wonderful! I had problems with 1 teacher last year but this year has been awesome. As far as staff goes it could be better. I do not like feeling not welcomed like a parent ought to be when they enter the school. We do pay a good bit of taxes and some of that tax money pays their salary so i feel that we as parents ought to feel more welcomed sending our children to school. One other note is getting notices at the last minute just dont cut it. They have tried to do better this year than last. The school needs more parent involvement & heck a little extra activity such as a sock hop. I have not seen anything but once in 2 years. It needs to be fun too. Get parents involved. More needs to be done on bullying & where is the principals commments?

Posted May 30, 2005

I am a former teacher at TRE, having changed to another district school. This is a GREAT school and they have a new great principal, who may make some people (parents and teachers) upset, but is determined to do what she is required to do (raise test scores) by the district, but is also determined to make this the BEST school in our district with the BEST staff. I now teach children from other elementaries in our district and I can tell you that the TRE students are the cream of the crop. And that is due to the staff, both in the office and the classroom. But I do wish there was more time available for art and music, but in these times all funding is directed towards testing requirements. This school is trying to accomodate the government and the parents, as well as educate the children.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 31, 2004

I am greatly concerned with principal's focus on test scores. She seems to have forgotten that the students are children! School can and should be fun for the children and the teachers. Some focus should go into producing well rounded individuals, rather than simply little standardized test takers. I have heard the principal say several times that the parents are what will take the school to the level five rating. That may be true but in order to so so she will need to do a better job of keeping them informed of meetings and events. We were notified of the last meeting on the day of the meeting. Why would anyone be surprised with a poor parent turnout? As far as the teachers at Three Rivers, they are awesome. My son has been there for several years and has had very professional, proficient, competent, and caring teachers.

Posted October 12, 2004

My child has been attending TRE for six years now. I have enjoyed the school up until our new principal has come in. The new principal, in my opinion, abuses her power. She is always threating the students with actions she cannot enforce. As far as teachers, TRE has some of the greatest teachers.

Posted September 26, 2004

Discipline was not addressed effectively for my child who was bullied and no consequences for others action. My child is very capable of defending himself but instructed not to in a school setting, therefore was taken advantage of. Nothing done. He no longer attends TRE.

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Curriculum Test, 2nd Edition (MCT2) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts and math. The MCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 89% in 2012.

122 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Science Test (MST) to test students in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MST is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 71%N/A71%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

13500 Three Rivers Rd