6-8 & Ungraded|Public district
647 students|Madison Co School Dist

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)

When I first started teaching at an intercity school in another state, students used the "f-bomb" all the time, got into 3-4 fights daily, vandalized our school, and generally had no respect for any adult. I came to the Germantown Zone 8 years ago and was in heaven! When I ran into students in after-school detention, the reasons were, "Oh, I forgot to do my homework for the 3rd time in a row," or "I didn't get this test grade signed by my parents." The parents are actively involved, and my fellow colleagues are great. Not to mention Dr. Burks! She is the best administrator I've ever had. She has a real passion for what she does, and the kids really respect her. She also wants to make us the state's premier Arts school in the state! Under her leadership, we've opened several new electives for the students to choose from: Band, Choir, General Music (which includes guitars, drumming, and pianos - all provided by the school), a Musical Theatre group called Encore, Theatre Arts, Visual Art, Spanish I, P.E., Boys Weight Lifting, Girls Aerobics, Gifted (Pathways), Team Sports - both boys and girls, Creative Writing, Learning Strategies, Yearbook, and Archery. The teachers here are great! 53% of the teachers all have Master's degrees or beyond. We have one of the highest number of National Board Certified Teachers, and the average teacher here has at least 10 years experience. We have a new principal named Chris Perritt. While he puts lots of emphasis on academics, he also likes to balance the schedule with a little "fun" every now and then - for example, playing music in the cafeteria every Friday. Or starting back the first day of school with a fun pep rally to get the students excited about learning! Many teachers here use Remind 101 to update their students & parents on upcoming projects/tests. We also have Active Parent so you can check on your child's grades & attendance daily. But always, feel free to e-mail your teachers. That's the best way to get ahold of us. Even though I live in Rankin County, when my child is older, I choose for her to attend the Germantown Zone. It's a great place to raise your children!

Develops character: Agree

Honestly, I feel it's the parents' and church's job to instill these values in our children. However, the schools help by focusing on "Character Education Traits" every month. We actually set aside time to talk about the importance of "honesty" and "integrity" and what it means to them.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

A majority of teachers make learning fun. They provide relevant, real-world examples, and then reinforce their concepts with lots of games. There is a particular game called Kahoo that is a blast! Students get to use their cell phones to answer each Trivia question (that's based on their classroom review).

Amount of homework: Disagree

I feel with block schedule, the child needs more reinforcement. It's especially hard when you have a "B Week," and you have not seen that child for 4 days, or heaven forbid, is absent, and you haven't seen them for 6 days. That's a long time to remember new concepts. Most children need to review more often. Then again, it's not the child's fault. Whoever put middle schoolers on block was out of his mind! A 11-12 year old (i.e. a typical 6th grader) has no business sitting still for 90 minutes at a time. Research shows that children this age need to move and stay active in order to learn.

No supervision on the school buses. No communication to parents. No help when things aren't going well. Parents, spend some cash and make the choice to go to private school. It's not worth your child's education.

I rate this school poorly due to the teacher's level of instruction and the upper administration's leadership. For involved parents, expect to have trouble following what your child is doing on active parent because the teachers do not update the online homework assignments. The facilities are very nice, but many students which previously have been all A or A/B students become C, D and F students here.

Develops character: Disagree

There have been lies and cover ups when dealing with the administration. The school tends to cover handle controversy and in school incidents by bending the truth to save face with others rather than correcting the problem head on.

This school is awesome. The teachers and faculty are amazing. The school name has been changed, also, to Germantown Middle School.

I love this school! not only does it have a great faculty that cares for there students, it a smaller evironment for kids just starting in the district or school. MCMS has great school activities for the whole school. this may be the last year in existance for the school ( the name at least b/c its moving to a new locaton) but all fo the teachers will be moving along with it. This is my last year to be at the school and im proud to say that i spent my middle school years here!

Last modified Germantown Middle School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.