Walls Elementary School

Public | PK-5 & ungraded | 20 students

Posted May 12, 2013

I have two children @ WES one of who is special needs, her teachers a well as the principal are very active with her education as well as her "personal growth" and have kept us up to date with at least one parent teacher meeting each term (more if they are needed). I feel like they really care about my child as a person and not just a student! My other daughter loves going to school and adores her teacher. Her teacher is amazing, she really cares about "her kids" taking the time to make sure the kids understand and are trying their best. There are a lot of functions for the students and their families. My girls favorite being "family fun night" where the students and their families have supper with teachers and faculty, and, there is ALWAYS, always something going on with the PTA! You honestly couldn't pay me to move out of the WES district!!

Posted September 18, 2012

I had similar experience with this school when it comes to really being concern with children progress in school.I like many other frustrated parents moved out of this district just to see would the change make a difference.let me tell you it did make a big difference.my son(use to be honor student til went to wes)started disliking school.But thanks to new school district he started liking school again and working hard to get his grades back up.sadly i had to move back into this district.but thankfully board gave me an option.but with a new teacher my son met he chose to stay at walls and im watching closely at his progress.But its just hard to get over harsh treatment and careless attitude that some teachers/educators have toward their pupils.please teachers if you dont like your job please find something else to do.dont destroy/mess up our children...signed concern about educating our children

Posted July 19, 2012

This is the best school. I only want the very best for my children and this school is that and more!

Posted January 26, 2012

My son has been attending this school for three years and there is lack of communication from administrators and teachers. The school does a great job of teaching but their is no involvement with parents. There is no PTO/PTA and if there is I have not been asked to join and do not receive any communication. Your child will learn but do not expect to attend any plays, mother/daughter breakfasts because they do not exist. In the past three years the only things the parent has been invited to involving the child is awards ceremonies and one christmas party in which I was the only parent to attend.

Posted August 6, 2011

I think that Walls Elementary is an AWESOME school. I volunteer regularly and the administrators and all the staff work very hard and you can tell they really love our kids! Of course they want their students to do well on state tests to show what they have learned (and not just because that is what our politicians have required), so there is a lot of emphasis on protecting instructional time. They expect all of their staff and students to work hard to do their best, to stay on task, and to show improvement. If the person on the previous post really thinks the school is trying to hide something, THEY should VOLUNTEER. I don't have to wonder what they are doing because I see what really goes on and how hard these teachers and students work. Probably just another parent who thinks they and their child don't have to follow any rules! Get real!

Posted January 12, 2011

I really feel like Walls Elementary has something to hide involving the education that they are giving children. They require a 24hr notice of when and what time a parent plans to come in visit their child's classroom.?????? I feel as if this give them time to put on a show and act as if this is how they teach everyday! Also, I couldn't grasp the actions that occured recently. My child has not been attending this school very long so he doesn't know where his class is and I offered to walk him to his class and I was told I could not because classes had already started, but if they were so concerned about class already starting why did they take another out of class to come to the office to escort my child to class?????????? I really dislike this school!

Posted December 15, 2010

I hated that last year was my last year at Walls!!!! I just loved the principals,teachers,and the rest of the staff!!!!! They treated us fairly and were VERY nice!!!!! Every since I was at Walls I have achieved many things!!!! They had many educational and challenging curricular activities always going on and strived to teach us and tell us to do our best!!!!!!! The parents and teachers were always involved in everything and always had family fun nights to attend!!!!!! I miss everybody at Walls!!!! :)

Posted October 4, 2008

Both of my children went to this school. It is a great school with great teachers. These teachers go above and beyond what should be expected for teachers to do. People who do not like this school should consider whether they , as a parent, are doing what they should be doing with their children. I love this school.

Posted September 13, 2008

I moved to walls in 2007. I have two children that attend walls. When I first enrolled them I thought they better than the school they had previously attended which was Robinsonville Elementary which is not a good school at all. I had no problems with their rules an policies until I started having problems with the teachers an administrators regarding my youngest child who is a special needs child. They would not be very informative when it came time for me asking questions regarding discipline, school work, an other issues going on in the classroom they seem to want to hide what was going on. They need to become more organize an have better communication skills they are more focus on passing state test than the well being of all children of all ages.

Posted August 26, 2008

I'm new to Mississippi and so far this school has been a great experience.

Posted May 13, 2008

Walls is very structured,neat,and my child actually likes going to school there!!!!!

Posted March 10, 2008

In response to the posting on 8/12/07: At this time, Ms. Kelley, and Dr. Haslip had just taken the school. Ms. Kelley has fallen into a great pattern of consistency and leadership! Walls Elementary is one of the greatest schools in Desoto County. Dr. Haslip is following the lead of Ms. Kelley, and moving forward! The school did not lose anything when Tom Spencer left. He was a good principal, but not the saving grace people thought he was. Walls is great b/c of the teachers, staff, and parents! We work together and make a great team for the kids of Desoto County!

Posted August 12, 2007

Walls Elementary is lacking leadership. Since Tom Spencer left the school one year ago the school has seemed to have lost its identity. Teacher morale is down and students are not achieving as in the past. Principal Rebecca Kelley is a good principal but seems to lack direction since Tom Spencer left the district last year. Hopefully she will step up to her role. The new assistant principal Dennis Haslip is wishy washy with parents and has a tendency to not be discrete about children and staff with others. This school is not what is used to be.

Posted May 8, 2006

Walls Elementary is, by far, the best elementary school in Desoto County. This is largely due to Principal Thomas Spencer. Two of my sons attended Walls from 1st through 5th grade (Walls ends with 5th grade), and moved out of the district so that we could be in the much praised Desoto Central school district. I must say that Walls is superior in so many ways, and we only wish the grade levels had extended beyond 5th. Mr. Spencer was a mentor to my son, Keith, who still has a deep fondness for this beloved man. Mr. Spencer will be a tremendous asset in his new position in Senatobia, but I just wanted him to know that he touched my sons lives with his kindness and involvement in theirs, which has helped make them the fine young men they are today. Thank you, Mr. Spencer!

Posted April 20, 2006

We moved to desoto county last summer. My children are thriving at walls. Mr. Spencer will sorely be missed next year. Walls promotes discipline with love and firmness. They set high academic standards, reward achievement and effort. They look for alternative funds to give the children extras. They are required to eat their lunch quietly, but this is not a bad thing. You cannot believe how many lunches are thrown away because kids were talking and not eating at our other school. I do, however; agree with the recess amount. It is far too little. The children are in school 7 hours a day. One 20-30 minute recess is not enough. One recess and a major obesity problem; maybe there is a correlation. There is also a need for better and more challenging playground equipment for all age groups. Please get our kids hearts pumping.

Posted September 20, 2005

In response to the review left 8/05 regarding a 20 min recess and no talking during lunch, I haven't found that to be case for my Kindergartener. They talk with friends at lunch (I know this from another mother who had lunch with her child). My daughter has not complained about too little time on the playground and has told me that somedays they go out twice to play. Her teacher is great and I couldn't ask for better lessons or a better school environment. She started school resisting against the rules but that was quickly resolved by the teacher and myself working together and we have noticed her self esteem build without another incident since. She is absorbing her lessons and is excited about school each day because the planned activities are fun and interactive. It's terrific!

Posted August 16, 2005

My son and I had a very good experience with WES, at least that is what I thought until my sister's child went there. I think that the prinicipal needs to do reviews/surveys from children as to how they feel their teacher treats them and the class as a whole. Children need to feel secure not only academically but, socially and personally as well. I don't feel that is taking place. They only have 20 minutes of recess the whole day and can't talk during lunch. I think that is obsurd. Parents need to be fully aware of what is taking place in their child/children's school and I will admit that I did not know the full story. I think children should learn everything they can but, we can't forget they are still children and that they have plenty of time to be grown up later in life.

Posted June 14, 2005

Walls Elementary is an wonderful school with a great staff with a qualified academic program. They strieve hard to exceed, not meet the learning requirements. My children have loved going to school there and have excelled in their own way. There is only two things that I believe that could really make Walls Elementary even stronger. The first is required physical education at least three times a week. Childhood obesity is a huge problem in the U.S. and we really need to help show our children how physical fitness can be fun. The second item I feel strongly about is the school needs to start having parent-teacher conferences twice a year for all students. The school has always been good about parent involvement, however many parents will not call for a conference or to ask even a small question out of fear. These conferences can help both parents, students and teachers.

Posted June 27, 2004

Walls elem is a very good school. The teachers are very nice and strict. There are lots of nice kids there and friends are easily made. Kids get the right amount of attention and care. No kid gets more attention than others. My daughter loves this school.

Posted June 22, 2004

This school is great. My son attended 4th thru 5th grade at Walls. The staff and teachers are caring. Mr. Spencer and Ms. Kelley are wonderful. De Soto County schools have a great curriculum.
—Submitted by a former student

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Curriculum Test, 2nd Edition (MCT2) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts and math. The MCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 89% in 2012.

108 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Science Test (MST) to test students in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MST is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 63% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 62% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 74%N/A71%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6131 Delta View Rd