Stone High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 52 students

Posted April 29, 2013

The education is up to standards for the average population, but just as every small town school, they don't have the funds to have a special education program designed for those who highly gifted. Other than that, it's about the same as any other present day average school. For the most part, you get what you want to out of school. As for the outsider issue, you make friends and you're never going to have everyone's approval no matter where you go to school. Yes, some teachers have favorites because it is a small town and they have known some of the students since they were born... It's only natural. Though, I will say, I was an outsider and found the respect from teachers, students, and faculty because of my work ethic and friendliness.

Posted February 27, 2012

The building is very old. The bathrooms are very unsanitary. It is not a great learning environment. The student's aren't very open to new-comers. They'll be kind to you, but never accept you because you are not from where they are (with an exception of a few awesome people) If you have a choice between the Coast's high quality, new schools and this school, choose the coast. I don't only want to be negative; there are a few great teachers that have good teaching skills and care about thiers students. Most teachers are friendly and understanding.

Posted March 9, 2011

Rate this school.......I have had four children graduate from Stone High School. Back then it a was amoung the best. But today if a family was basing a relocation on the school system, I would have to tell them do not move. The tearchers are not interested in teaching, they are interested in the pay check, the time off and retirement. Our administration is more interested in alternative class rooms rather than demanding a good teaching enviroment.

Posted May 21, 2009

my child is the 3rd generation to graduate from SHS. I Love this School

Posted November 30, 2008

stone high school is one of the best schools in the county. I enjoy the environment and everybody.

Posted July 8, 2008

I am a parent of a former student. The attendance policy at this school is too relaxed, the teachers do not communicate with parents even after repeated calls to the school, the school lists one set of rules in the handbook but do not have the gumption to back them up. ou basically don't even have to show up and they'l graduate you.

Posted January 23, 2008

The dress codes are only a small part of the schools attention and not a big part of the day to day agenda. Only once in the year that I attended SHS did they have a prayer meeting and it was organized by the students not the administration. When you attend SHS and get a chance to experiance the comrodery and support you get from the staff and students there, you will give a different review.

Posted October 13, 2007

I am a parent, who now has children in college. My children made good grades at Stone High School, but they realize that they were not prepared for college. My son because of some discipline infractions was taken out of the class room some days, and made to write lines out of a book in a room, because his shirt came untucked, he had a cell phone in his book bag, and another time he was not sitting down in his desk when the bell rang. When a student is out of class he/she misses instruction that may be important. Rules should be followed, but so should staying in the classroom.

Posted January 18, 2007

This is the first year my son has attended SHS. So far, most of his teachers have been very supportive and willing to work with him and keep me informed of his progress.

Posted September 6, 2006

My Daughter goes to Stone High School. She loves it a lot and has many friends there. We are about to relocate to another part of the state due to Katrina's destruction of our home in Stone County. We have been very happy with the environment and academics of this school. She is already crying about having to leave. The staff and teachers are great and really care about the students. The best thing that ever happened to Stone High was replacing the former principal with the current one. He is highly respected by not only parents, teachers, & community but most importantly the students themselves. My daughter is mostly going to miss her theater class. We are all going to miss Stone County!

Posted August 3, 2006

I am a teacher at Stone High School and can honestly say that the leadership at this school is excellent. The principal at SHS is a man who truly has a heart for young people, who cares about their education as well as their well-being and shows it in his actions and speech. The staff cares about students and works to ensure a safe and productive school environment conducive to all learning levels and modalities. Our principal is a man of integrity, and challenges his staff and students to be people of character and excellence. I can't imagine teaching anywhere else, and can't imagine a school environment being more supportive of children and their individual talents. We are growing as a school, both in number and in character. We have done, are doing, and will continue doing great things.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 26, 2005

I am a former Stone high school graduate and i am very proud of the school's background. I played basketball for the school from 95-99. And i was the star player! But the teachers were very supportive of me and the principal was very supportive also, thanks!! - terry galloway.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 16, 2005

I am a former student of Stone High school. I just wanted to say that it was the best experiance of my life. I have now moved to Arizona where I am now in 11th grade and I miss it very much. Everyone there was so nice. All the teachers were awesome and were always trying harder to make class fun. I move around a whole bunch and when i moved there my freshman year I was accepted quite easily.

Posted December 18, 2004

Great school. Great Teachers. Great Students, only problem is the principal takes her power too far.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 97% in 2012.

154 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

197 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 63% in 2013.

264 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

183 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 62% in 2013.

138 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 59%N/A71%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

400 East Border Ave