Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

nope. i got bullied by other people and i had to beat the sh*t out of them to get them to stop. the teachers did nothing.

Supports LD students: Neutral

not quite sure what happened to SSD students but i saw them around sometimes

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

instead of reading these teachers made us watch "reading rainbow", and expected us to know how to do lessons ahead of time.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

they didnt give any punishments for being late, and turning in blank homework got me 80%.

I am giving George Guffey an average rating for a few reasons. The first reason is the lack of communication from teachers to parents. I, as well as some of my neighbors, have complaints regardin the lack of emails to inform parents of the progress of their children. There is also very little communication in other important ways such as a progress folder with recent STAR assessments, scores on tests, mapping out and analyzing specific mistakes on tests, writing samples, etc. These are all wonderful things that we have found with our new school in Rockwood. When my son was there, we were told there were no problems and that he was receiving all satisfactory grades. The STAR reading test was administered to him, and he was in the 86th percentile. I knew there was a problem when I would listen to him read and when he scored so high on these tests. I am a teacher, and I wondered why so many kids at the school have straight As. Interestingly enough, after we transferred, my son was actually reading at the 26th percentile. Come to find out, there are different versions of the STAR test, and the one being administered was the easier version. My son also doesn't like to write and in first grade he was supposed to be keeping a journal. At the second parent-teacher conference in March, I asked to see the journal expecting to see very little. I was correct; there was nothing and I mean nothing in there. When I asked the unnamed teacher about this, she didn't know what to say. My son has issues paying attention and her class was so unruly she didn't even notice. Again, we were told that everything was fine with his progress. When we arrived in Rockwood, the teachers immediately assessed his reading level and paid special attention to him. There are numerous emails home as well as a parent communication agenda that all the kids are required to use. There is a night and day difference in the way my older son learned to write at Guffey in kindergarten and first grade and the way they teach writing in Rockwood. My younger son is flourishing and this time we know that this result is with merit. I would encourage anyone to pay a higher price for their home, and do not try and get more house for your money in the Fox attendance area. It was the worst mistake we have ever made.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

There is very little communication with parents about students' progress outside of parent/teacher conferences, no volunteer opportunities for parents in the classroom to help with critical areas such as reading groups, and the use of email is sparse.

l my son have received the best education possible from teachers who are very nice

My children attend this school and I couldn't be happier. The staff is great! They are making straight "A's" but still are being challenged at school. All the staff and the kids all seem to get along with very little conflict. Couldnt ask for a better school!

My son attended this school k-4th and I couldn't be happier! He had an IEP for the entire time and this school/staff are amazing. My son was in speech the entire time and just amazing! I highly recommend this school.

My son started at GG Elementary since the beginning. Although many people / experts have "bad mouthed" the Fox School District in general I would have say they are completely wrong in my opinion. Maybe there are more "free lunches" than other districts but is that really a reason to talk down to a school. GG has been a great, guiding force behind my son's education. He has excelled in many subjects, has loved every teacher, has had fun learning, loves the before/after school program, loves to go to gym class and realizes that GG emphasizes a school of students with "character" in every aspect. We love George Guffey Elementary.

Last modified George Guffey Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.