Park Hill High School

Public | 9-12

Posted June 24, 2014

I am very happy with this school district. My kids are getting the help they need in certain areas and have improved so much that they are now where they need to be and above. I am glad we moved to this school district.

Posted April 9, 2014

One of the top schools in terms of academics in the area if not in the state. Outstanding students and teachers (despite some) make for a great environment.

Posted December 8, 2013

Park Hill School District as well as Park Hill High School is amazing. My children have been recruited by IVY League institutions for their successes in high school. My wife and I would not send them to any other place. Thank you Park Hill.

Posted October 21, 2013

cont... Cons: I wish I could have skipped physical science and took more AP classes. I didn't like my counselor. Others liked theirs. We've had negative news a few times, but it is more of select individuals. They should not reflect the whole school. Remember, the graduating classes are around 450 people. The school does a lot to try to promote a positive image. Parking could be a challenge. Also, when school starts, you can only enter from the front entrance. It sucks when the weather is terrible, but it's for security purposes. Foul language being used. You must be extremely sheltered if you think no one cusses in high school. This should be a problem if it's elementary school, but it's not. If they don't experience it now, they'll experience it in college. Honestly, if you need more proof, I'm at Vanderbilt University now, and I'm doing just fine. Park Hill is a wonderful place to be. Enjoy your four years while it lasts.

Posted June 12, 2012

I have had 3 children graduate with Park Hill High School, and their experiences were all very positive, We were involved in their education and although we didn't have any disciplinary problems, the administration knew us by name and child, and opened their arms to us. They welcome parent involvement in all aspects of the high school experience for our children, and I think the negative comments come from parents who do not actively and positively interact with the school or they are not actively trying to work with staff in the best interest of their children. I like discipline for the students, this is the last chance we have to mold them into positive individuals entering "real life" after graduation. My husband works for the city of KCMO, and we specifically moved to the Park Hill School district for their award winning education.

Posted April 25, 2012

My child was a sophomore during the 2011-2012 school year at Park Hill, and we learned this lesson the hard way: there is no standard of grading applicable to the same class taught by different teachers. For example, one teacher truncates (and includes the decimal point) while anothraounds (to the whole number), thus creating an inequalities and negatively impacting the student.

Posted May 3, 2011

I have had a child in Park Hill Schools since the first grade who is now a sophomore and also have two more now. From the youngest being sent to walk home through non-sidewalk entrances and in all types of weather rain-snow anything, to my oldest being bullied in grade school without the other child getting 1-day in-school for writing foul language on three different walls, to the middle child being picked on by teachers, oh and the admitted discrimination at football games of younger students, to not allowing students struggling in class to taking an EOC (end of course exam) guess this how their test scores are so high NOT ALL THE STUDENTS TAKE THEM, to bullying from the staff, to not allowing students to take home graded tests, to weighting grades towards tests as high as 85% of the overall grade, to a new scoring system that the highest grade is subject to the teacher and not based on performance on homework, class work, or tests, simply judgment of the teacher. Oh but the athletics are pretty decent too bad the rest of the school isn t. I would not ever allow one of my friend s kids to go to this school district without warning them first. This school is BAD

Posted February 12, 2009

There is virtually no racial or economic diversity and way too much emphasis on sports!

Posted November 6, 2008

I don't know where some of these other students are coming from, but I love Park Hill. The teachers are incredible, the community is very friendly, and the administration is very positive. (And for the people who claim that South is better, just remember that South's test scores are dismal compared to PHHS).

Posted May 5, 2008

Park Hill South uses disiplin more that just trusting the students to do there best. They rarley encorage us to do good in classes, but they are quick to say that if a student does one incorrect act, such as being late, they make it so a security personel is needed to escort the student to the bathroom, luckaly the teachers stuck it to the man and realized that such a plan was stupid and riduculous and that plan is no longer in use. It is a matter of time before there is another plan to degrade the student body.

Posted April 3, 2008

Park Hill is a horrible representation of what the Park Hill District has made of itself throuhout its many years. Since I switched to South(the other highschool in the district), I have seen exactly the differences, especially in the areas of security, accessibility, administration, and the over-all school environment. Going to school is a joy at South, at Park Hill its just plain unpleasant. Especially when GSA entered the school. The club was created for a just cause, but soon turned into a heated argument within the student body, parents, and the administration. Christian Club was made to counter-act the group, thus creating a bigger divide amongst the student body.

Posted October 27, 2007

Park Hill is a fabulous school. The administration cares alot about grades and are very tough. If you have an F you are placed in an Academic Lab and Wednesday Support Block to help bring your grade up. The teachers are phenomenal and will assist you in any way possible. There are tons of activites to be involved in. Park Hill probably has the most school spirit out of any other schools in the area. We have an assortment of clubs, ranging from Anime Club to Scrabble Squad.

Posted September 3, 2007

My daughter is a Junior here at PHHS. Great facility, great teachers! The principal on the other hand could use a dose of humility. Some of the teachers she has had have truly been excellent. I Never worry about her safety, in comparison to other districts. I would recommend the Park Hill district to anyone moving to the KC area.

Posted February 28, 2007

I have been involved with PHHS for the last several years. This school is top-notch. Any one relocating to the Kansas City area should consider Park Hill High School above all other area public schools. I have nothing but positive comments about the teachers and administrators.

Posted June 21, 2006

In the two years I have spent here at Park Hill, I can honestly say that they have been great. The best thing about the school, bar none, is the social aspect. By this I mean, there aren't many problems with bullying, and, for the most part, while there are cliques, there is nothing concrete, and almost all of the students are easy to get along with, and live in peace with. Further, the teachers, at least in the Arts and Social Sciences are fantastic, they are intelligent, well educated individuals. The Extra-Curriculars are great, and supported, without taking away from the learning environment. The Sports programs are successful, and, PH Consistenly maintains the highest standardized test scores amongst any large school in the State of Missouri. The Theatre, Debate, Art, and athletic programs are open and inviting.

Posted February 9, 2006

I have a very successful son who graduated from Park Hill in 2000 and I currently have a son in the freshman class. I have had nothing but positive experiences with this school, the school district and it's personnel. I believe the quality of education is excellent. My oldest son's interest were math and computers and my youngest son loves science and math. I've worked with wonderful and supportive parents involved in many extra curricular activities. I suppose it's impossible for a school to be all things to all people, but we love it here!

Posted September 13, 2005

My two daughters attended Park Hill High School for their last years of high school. Coming from a Texas school of superior rating, this institution was a disappointment to them both. One of my daughters (now a merit scholar at a top art university) came from an art program that offered AP credit in art. Park Hill also claimed to offer the same program, but my daughter found no support for her studies. There were no teachers qualified to teach the subject and the school offered very few materials for her to work with. My other daughter, a student in French and drama, was also disappointed to find that the school's programs in these two subjects were under-staffed and under-taught. As a parent, I was discouraged from any involvement that put me in contact with the students themselves. Parents were allowed to help stuff envelopes and raise money, but that was all.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 22, 2005

Discipline for the students here are too tough, they need to have a little more leway. they are in high school for god sakes. They get detention if the kids look at any staff member wrong.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 30, 2004

I'm not a parent but I was a student at Park Hill and I can truely say that it is a vary good school to go to for anyone. I would love to go back for another four years because they are like family and other then that the school is a nice place.
—Submitted by a former student

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 57% in 2013.

383 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 54% in 2013.

345 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

488 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 60% in 2013.

426 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 69% in 2013.

423 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 61% in 2013.

418 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Government

The state average for Government was 54% in 2013.

414 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 47% in 2013.

412 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Missouri used the End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments to test high school students in Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, English I, English II, American History, Government, and Biology. The EOC Assessments are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Missouri for each subject. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

White73%
Free or reduced-price lunch37%
Students with disabilities27%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education; data is not reported if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group.

Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 25%N/A45%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7701 NW Barry Rd