Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Posted December 25, 2015
I was fortunately enough to atttend LSW during my year as an exchange student in Lincoln. I loved every single second at southwest. They gave me the opportunity to become the person I am today.

Southwest High School 3

Posted October 27, 2015
LSW is average at best. On the positive side the music program is outstanding. However the teaching staff for the rest of the curriculum is hit or miss. There's certainly not an abundance of good teachers. And our counselor is a joke. She does no more than absolutely necessary and most of her e-mails are canned responses. The administration is hit or miss as well. One thing we've noticed is that any administrators with ties to sports tend to single out the kids that are in music. One final note....having a master's degree in curriculum and instruction means nothing with regards to how good a teacher is.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted October 27, 2015
Thanks to Mrs. Cotton, Mrs. Wilhelm and Mr. Jacobson for making our son's time at LSW an outstanding experience.

Southwest High School 4

Posted September 27, 2009
Note: I have never attended a full day at Southwest because I also attend a focus program. The teachers fall within the normal spectrum: I have had superb ones and ones who seemed not to care at all. I would imagine that is the same at all schools. One suggestion, take Diff courses if you want better teachers. Some counselors are good and some aren't I know, I've have three because they changed the divisions twice. The newer ones seemed to take more of an interest. I would recommend you set up a private meeting before school with parents. Discipline is adequate: not too many stupid rules and punishments usually seem fair. Block scheduling is nice, except you only spend 1 semester, max, with teachers so getting to know them well can be a challenge. It's great only having 4 finals at a time. Only having a PE for a quarter odd.

Posted April 03, 2009
My son will be starting his Senior year in 2009 and has been attending since his sophomore. I would advise everyone to send your kids to this school. Block scheduling is wonderful and more help to kids that need the extra class time. The kids seem less overwhelmed and have more opportunity to grasp the information being given rather than cramming the same information into a shorter class. As for snobs......well I tell you what. We are not rich! We do not even live on that side of town. I send my child to this school and make the long drive just so he can attend. He is not picked on for being low income and he has made many friends over the years regardless. The teachers are involved and support the kids 100% they could communicate better with parents I agree but overall it is a great school!

Southwest High School 1

Posted July 13, 2008
My son went here and the whole time he was unhappy. The counselors are unapproachable and unfriendly. Although there are a few decent teachers, the overall education is below par. I would recommend any other school in Lincoln besides this one. Don't send your child here!

Posted April 20, 2008
I am very involved in many activities at southwest and, despite all other lincoln schools despising us, have loved every minute of it. All the talk of snobs and filthy rich students are false stereotypes as there are wealthy families at every school. I love the block schedules and most all of the teachers. Southwest is a great experience and is a wonderful school.

Posted March 09, 2008
in my experiance at southwest its to snotty only go if you a docter or a lawyer or you kids will be made fun of

Posted May 05, 2007
Southwest High has exceeded our expectations both for us as parents and for our son, a freshman. The block scheduling is fantastic and the teacher and staff commitment is high. The Music and Theatre programs are spectacular! Our son raves about his school and couldn't be happier. Thank you to everyone at Southwest! Mary and Steve Wiley

Southwest High School 4

Posted December 03, 2005
I love this school. Very well put together. The best part is block scheldules. Kids only have 4 classes a day, 90 minutes long. It only takes them 2 terms to finish a core class, unlike the usual 4 terms to finish a core class.

7001 South 14th St, Lincoln, NE  68512
Last modified Southwest High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.