Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

They don't identify it as bullying, it's explained to me that those bad kids have horrible home lives so when they come to school they behave the way they do to get attention and anyone in the way of that is the next target.

Supports LD students: Disagree

My daughter has excellent report card reviews her resilience is what's saving her. She always has a posive attitude in school but she's never been offered a higher learning type classroom even tho she's been excelling in reading.

Effective school leaders: Neutral

Sure, if explaining that most of the kids there are foster home kids with psychological problems and nowhere else in the system to go then yeah they are effective in taking those kind in.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Ive tried to get a hold of the panther pack teacher to discuss other options for my daughter so she can get math done uninterrupted but nobody ever returns my call

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Some teachers stop the talking in the classroom but the majority of them just give up and stop instruction which leaves the good kids stranded without help unless they approach the teacher individually.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Never seems to have homework. Excels in reading but nobody has offered any advancement opportunities

I have been going to Morton for about a year and a half now. Honestly, it's the best school I have ever gone to. I have made really great friends. This school practices lock-downs and tornado drills every month to be on the safe side. I notice that the higher the classes you take the closer the kids tend to be and that is an amazing thing. Last year, I was bullied by a girl about this guy I liked, but my friends helped me from each stubble. The staff looks out for kids, and is caring. P.E. is awesome too. It isn't co-ed. The girls have a Just Dance unit as well as a swimming unit. I can't tell you what the boys have, because well, I'm not a boy. The sports teams at Morton are FUN! I did swim team this year and I have to say that I made many new friends and close bonds. There's an after school program called Panther Pack too. It is through the Boys and Girls club. They pay you every semester for your grades. Panther Pack allows you a chance to meet new people and make friends, you can also start your own club in Panther Pack. I could go on and on about Morton but I don't have enough characters to type with. So let's leave it at this, I am upset that this is my last year at Morton.

From my nearly two and a half years of going to Morton, I can tell you it is a great school. My dad and I have been talking about school mostly about his high-school (man, the day where I choose my own high-school is trucking closer and closer) and from what I have gathered Morton is a lot like Northwest. He spoke about Northwest students being like a family to each other, and I can definitely see that in some circles. And my mom has been worried about the behavior at Northwest, but I think Morton is in the same boat; just try to make sure you are in honors classes and you should be (for the most part) away from the less behaved students. However; I do agree that some teachers, (specifically one whom teaches a high-school level class) expects us to read our notes and won't explain anything to us even if it's still unclear to the student.

My daughter attended Morton for one year, and will not be returning. Most of the teachers are completely worthless. The school says they have tutors available at no charge as part of the Panther Pack after school program, but that was totally false. Bullying is a common occurrence here, and not only do the teachers turn a blind eye, but they participate as well. This school doesn't even deserve the one star rating I generously gave.

As a former student, don't expect much from this school. While some teachers cared for the students, others were disrespectful and unwilling to help. Bullying is an issue, though it's mostly gossip and snide remarks found in many middle schools. These can be very hurtful in that age group, however, and staff does nothing about it. Many students don't care about education and teachers rarely tried to spark any interest. The AVID program is the highlight of the school, and your best bet is to attempt to get your child into it.

Last modified Morton Magnet Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.