No rating

Doral Academy

Charter | PK-8 | 700 students

Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2014

I am as impressed today as I was on the day that Doral Academy opened its doors for the first time last August. I recall seeing Mrs. Phillips, our principal, directing traffic in the blazing heat at carpool pickup. I was impressed by this even when I assumed it was nothing more than a welcome strategy. Fast forward to an entire school year later - Mrs. Phillips was not only out there every day last year... she is out there every day THIS year as well. Well beyond her technical credentials, her visibility - to her students, her staff, and the parents - speaks volumes about her character. My first grader is thrilled to head to school each morning, and she comes home with a structured plan for her weekly homework and any additional projects. She has stories to tell about what she's learned each day, and about what she'll be learning the next. My family took a leap of faith when we enrolled in a school that was still being physically built at the time, and we are better for it. We are fortunate to be a part of the Doral Family, and the strong sense of community that is fostered on a daily basis by Mrs. Phillips and her staff.

Posted Sunday, September 14, 2014

I cannot say enough good things about Doral Academy. My children were at Saddle last year and are now at Cactus and both are amazing campuses! Mrs. Phillips and Mrs. Marshall are the best principals you could ask for. Not only are they involved in every avenue of their schools but they truly love the kids and their jobs. The support staff from the office to the IA's are all friendly and welcoming. The PTSO's are easy to help with and are also very welcoming of parents who want to help out. Please do not let these bad reviews discourage you from applying to this school. If you can get accepted through the thousands on the wait list you are extremely lucky. Let the people who do not like go back to public school and open spots for those who will truly appreciate being here like the majority. It is a unique, exciting place to be! Thank you to the Doral Academy Staff!

Posted Sunday, September 14, 2014

I am a kindergarten teacher at Doral Academy. I read the review and want to reassure the public that all of our teachers have Bachelors degrees and went to college specifically to major in education. We are a state sponsored school that requires all of our teachers to have a state license. I teach kindergarten at Doral Academy and have a Bachelor's Degree with a minor in early childhood plus a kindergarten endorsement. I also have a Masters Degree in Arts Integration and have 32 extra credits in Curriculum and Technology. I was in the Clark County School District for 18 years. I chose to move to Doral Academy because I wanted to work for Mrs. Phillips again. I am also a proud parent of a second grader at Doral Academy and could not have chosen a better school for my child.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted Sunday, September 14, 2014

I feel like we truly won the "lottery" with this school! The staff and administration are AMAZING! The principal is at every event, every lunch and is so involved, Its unbelievable! I love that parents are encouraged and so welcome at the school. We are so thankful for to be apart of the Doral family!

Posted Sunday, September 14, 2014

We love Doral!!! This is our second year at Doral and couldn't be happier. My son has excelled in his education along with being introduced to things above and beyond the normal classroom- like drama and violin. The staff and the Principal, Mrs. Phillips, make the difference. They are dedicated to the students and work hard to make it a fun, learning environment. We couldn't be happier- and so glad we have chosen Doral.

Posted Sunday, September 14, 2014

I have been extremely impressed by the administration at Doral Academy. They are actively involved in everything that goes on at the school. They are outside at drop off and dismissal, present at all events, and approachable and caring. All three of my children who attend Doral Academy are happy to go to school.

Posted Sunday, September 14, 2014

My family is new to Doral this year and we could not be happier. The principal and staff have been so welcoming and it is a great environment. The amount of parent involvement to support both the staff and kids is awesome!!! We are thankful to be part of this great school!!

Posted Saturday, September 13, 2014

My family is new to Doral Academy and I couldn't be happier. Great School !

Posted Saturday, September 13, 2014

This is my second year at Doral Academy. The teachers and administration is exemplary ! It has been a little challenging this year with families learning the routines of a staggered start time. The school is truly top notch !

Posted Friday, September 12, 2014

The school is amazing but the staff/volunteers are horrible. The principle is a doll, very sweet, but a few of the other staff are just ridiculous. I might not enter my children into this school next year and I am seriously debating weather I should withdraw him now and switch him schools. I do not even want to volunteer and be next to these violent staff. I can't imagine how they speak to the children.

Posted August 26, 2014

This is the second year my children are attending Doral. I can't express how amazing the faculty and staff are at the school. I feel like we won the lottery. They are not under the stress they were in public school. They are actually exceeding here. I love that they have Theatre, Violin, Dance, Spanish and Media in Elementary school. They actually love going to school everyday.

Posted August 25, 2014

The parents and students are good as you can get, but the administration is absolutely horrible. Everything is rushed with all notice coming at the very last minute. School picture packets sent out two days before pictures so you have little to no opportunity to get your children cleaned up for pictures. Any fees for projects are always dumped on you at the last minute. My children knew they had band all summer and I kept asking about instruments, but was only told there was a lab fee for the class. Today, the first day, received a notice that I needed to either buy or rent instruments by this Friday. Also the school seems to be more about being nice than actual learning. Missing assignments are just not taken serious and it's all about testing so they don't lose funding. I was very excited about the charter school system and just can't wait to get them out of this school. I really wish i would have chosen Coral over Doral. My oldest son had never missed turning in an assignment ever until this school and it is just no big deal to these teachers. That is until they start to cram for the standardized tests which their funding is based upon. This principal is horrible.

Posted May 14, 2014

This is one of the best schools I've ever been to. Doral really changed my life.

Posted April 8, 2014

We love Doral Academy. My son went to another Charter school in town for 3 years and it was such a stressful environment . Doral is such a breath of fresh air. I see my son making so many positive strides forward not only academically but socially. We look forward to moving to the Cactus campus in the fall. We will miss Ms. Phillips but Ms. Marshall is awesome so I know my son is in great hands.

Posted April 4, 2014

My daughter is in 7th grade. This is an excellent school with an emphasis on the arts. My daughter is very happy here. Wonderful staff and administration!

Posted April 3, 2014

I am so grateful that my children were able to attend Doral. In my option it is the best school in Clark County, Nevada

Posted January 24, 2014

Our son attended a highly ranked public school for K-2 before we learned about Doral and enrolled him there. While we thought he was getting a good education at his prior school, it is NOTHING compared to Doral! This school just has such a loving, accepting atmosphere that encourages creativity. The specials include all the arts that have been removed from most public school, and more. The model of having PreK-middle school in one building is another thing we love. The middle school kids interact with the younger children, and the vibe feels more accepting and kind than the public middle schools I've seen. Everyone from the involved and caring principals to the highly qualified and loving teachers are sincerely dedicated to the children's success, both academically and socially. I cried when my son got into Doral, and am thankful every day that he is attending this wonderful school!

Posted January 19, 2014

We have three children at Doral Academy. Pre-K, 3rd, 4th. The arts integration learning environment keeps every child so dedicated to their learning. Spanish, dance, theatre, art, media productions, violin, music, basketball, the list of activities they offer there students is unbelievable. The staff is top notch. Blessed to be at Doral.

Posted December 16, 2013

We have two children attending this wonderful school and could not be any happier We made the move to take them out of public. This first year at Doral Academy has been such a success with the incredible Staff who work the longest hours I ever witnessed at a school and to the parent volunteers who endlessly give their time for their child's education.

Posted September 28, 2013

Love Doral Academy! My son is a 6th grader and he is so happy at Doral. It is a new charter school with such a positive atmosphere! All the teachers are excellent, and the school has such a positive vibe. My son attended another charter school the past 4 years, and the climate there was so much different and getting worse. So glad to be at Doral now!

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:30am
School end time
  • 3:15pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Art room
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Dance
  • Drama

School culture

• Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom