Bonanza High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 7 students

Posted January 29, 2014

Bonanza actually isn't really that bad, better than some of the other schools in Clark County.

Posted November 16, 2013

Bonanza is an okay school. The Deans at Bonanza have favorites and its completely wrong. I've had constant problems with some staff grading me harder than other students because of my sexuality. The ccsd rules are hardly enforced except for dress code. The theatre program there is one of the best in ccsd. The JROTC program is just atrocious the teachers are very judgmental, the things they make us do, etc. All the English teachers I've had have been absolutely fabulous, but the math teacher have been undeniably horrible. I have learned nothing in any of the math classes I've been in that i don't already know. The teaching methods are extremely stupid and they act like we are mental and have no clue what they are talking about. The principal also has favorites and refuses to do stuff for some clubs because she is against what they do. The students are racist, homophobic, gang members, and drug abusers. I would never send my kid to Bonanza. Overall the school is terrible, with a few exceptions, I hate it here, I would rather pay for private school rather than send my kid here.

Posted October 15, 2013

I am a former student. There are very few things I liked about my time at Bonanza High School. Most of the teachers were rude and didn't care about anything the kids learned or how they acted. Most classes, you would sit there and do nothing because the teacher "didn't feel like doing a big assignment that day." Also, most students were rowdy, distracting, and inappropriate. Any time you would try to go to an adult about bullying or anything like that, they would basically tell you to your face that they didn't care and they wouldn't do anything about it. Honestly, although there are a few great teachers, Bonanza just doesn't have a good learning environment.

Posted September 11, 2013

Horrible, all of my teachers are rude. They yell at me for the most minuscule of things. I cannot walk around without being confronted with something that is wrong. Everyone at this school is inconsiderate and just plain rude.

Posted August 6, 2013

If you try really really hard in your average joe classes, and are lucky to get a caring teacher, you should get a decent grade. (this excludes all you honors & A.P. ) I'm a current student here and I can honestly say academic success along with actual learning here is out of luck. It's hard to get a good teacher. Most these teachers tell you to read your textbook or red the board for information on your assignment. My fellow classmates and I simply do not learn that way. What kind of classroom atmosphere do you expect when you got 40 kids who are frustrated, confused, and uninterested in learning? These kids have the potential to be very successful, (I know, I've seen their true colors) we just need more involved teachers. Teachers and staff who care, rather than just sending detention and court dates would be a blessing for these lost kids. It's not easy being a minority teenager. (which by the way, is most this school now) I get more learning done with a fellow classmate than with the actual teacher.

Posted September 30, 2009

My daughter graduated from there and my son is a junior this year. I feel the school is a very safe place for students

Posted June 4, 2009

I attended Bonanza for 4 years, and I found that the teachers were competent and likable. I enjoyed my time there, and feel I got as much out my experience there as I put in. That's what education is about.

Posted March 19, 2009

My student is a junior this year and loves this school. BHS provides students with a variety of sport activities and clubs. This year the grading scale has changed; 70% test and 30% homework. Although tests can be made up of essays and projects it is still a big change from the previous years. GPA s won t be quite so high. Another thing is more extra credit. A bit tougher in the standards this year than in past years. The teachers are fine for the most part. They are email responsive. However, some teachers seem to want to collect a paycheck (not that it's that much) and be on their way. My daughter s counselor seems less than helpful when it comes to helping with student direction for h.s. or college classes. Sometimes people just lose their enthusiasm for their jobs I guess. At least my student is enjoying the h.s. years

Posted February 26, 2009

BHS is a really good school. We have amazing sports programs and Bonanza also has a lot of preparation for students looking to attend college. This is my second year attending, and i love it. The location of the school isn't the best though.

Posted February 10, 2009

I've had four students graduate from Bonanza, and found that the honors classes have been challenging and very effective in preparing my children for college. There is a distinct difference in the feel of the classrooms, the motivation of the students, and the degree of challenge when comparing the regular classes and the honors program. If students want to work hard and want a challenge, as well as be surrounded by other students with the same goals, that is available at Bonanza. I have two other children that will be attending Bonanza in the future, and with the new principle, I look forward to more positive experiences at the school. I am hoping for better coaching staffs in the basketball program!

Posted January 25, 2009

I believe Bonanza is not challenging enough. The classes are dull and do not motivate you. There are some rude students as well and I feel frustrated that this is the only high school I am zoned for, I cant switch high schools due to transportation eligibilty.

Posted September 2, 2008

i attended this school and not only did i have a blast in class, but in the after school activites

Posted August 21, 2008

im a sophmore at this school and all i can say is its a pritty decent school. the teachers are pritty cool and things get pritty boring but what can you expect in school.

Posted April 3, 2008

I am a former Bonanza teacher. I was a first year teacher when I arrived and found some of the staff to be extremely helpful. There are many teachers at Bonanza who care, many parents who are involved, and many students who want to succeed; unfortunately, the system in which Bonanza exists (CCSD) is so mismanaged that the resources and the leadership are missing. The discipline system (when I was there) was lacking -- 2 deans for 2000 students! I saw many students manipulating the discipline system and not enough decisive action by the deans, themselves. I fondly remember my fledgling teacher years at Bonanza, and am thankful for all that I learned (good and bad).
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 6, 2008

Ive attended Bonanza since freshmen year. The teachers there are great. Of course, there's always going to be that teacher you can't stand, but overall there wounderful. The security at Bonanza is great. We have two real police officers, that ride around on bikes through out the school. These two police offers take the time to get to know the students that attend Bonanza. Ask who they are and I assure you, your student will know who they are. A few weeks ago our school came up with a new procedure, to lock the shcool doors. You can open the doors from the inside, but you cannot open them from the outside. They did this to keep the students safe, that way they can see who is coming into our school. If you want your student to get a safe education, this is the place.

Posted March 6, 2008

im currently a junior at Bonanza high school and overall i find it to be a pretty good school. I jus moved in the area this year and although the administration is extremely strict, the students are really nice.

Posted February 20, 2008

My problem child son attended Bonanza in 2006-2007. He basically dropped-out and I was never notified that was flunking all but one class and skipping school regularly. I have no idea how people asre saying it is a 'strict school.' Getting any real information on my failing child was like pulling teeth.

Posted February 19, 2008

I am currently a freshman at bonanza high school and so far i think this school is one of the best high schools in clark county al of my teachers are strict, but at the same time very responsible and lso care about every single one of us the students. I also think that the students that say bonanza is a bad school, are the ones that always get in trouble, when i hear that they have gotten in trouble most of the times they just say that that teacher hates them.At this moment bonanza has many sports and other programs and i would say we are very good at most of them specially our tennis team.Go bengals!

Posted December 18, 2007

Hello, I am also a former student from Bonanza HS. I spent four years at Bonanza and enjoyed every one of them. I had exceptional teachers, beyond caring coaches, and an orchestra director that I adored. I graduated in 2005, so i'm not sure of all the recent changes, but I do know that while I attended Bonanza, nothing but the best was excepted. I urge anyone who is debating on sending their teenager to Bonanza to please do so, because If they take advantages of all the opportunities that are presented to them there, they will have a great chance of becoming successful.

Posted October 29, 2007

The entire time I was there, only one teacher actually supported me, and that was Ms. Jeffery. The counselors give no positive reinforcement whatsoever. Security is a joke. I still visit now and then. Overall.. this school isn't really good for a decent education.
—Submitted by a former student

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

491 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

492 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

490 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2013.

479 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the High School Proficiency Examination (HSPE) to assess high school students in reading, writing, math and science. The HSPE is a high school graduation requirement. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Students with limited English proficiency14%
Proficient in English82%
Not migrant76%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 57%N/A54%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Health & athletics

• Gym

Fax number
  • (702) 799-4078

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)

• Orchestra
Performing arts
  • Dance
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6665 West Del Rey Ave