Palo Verde High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 2803 students

Sweep tile

Posted October 20, 2010

I went to palo verde when the school was still in barracks on bonanza high school...I really miss this school and it's teachers. They were amazing when i went there and still speak to most of my friends and some of the staff from there. If I moved back to Vegas I wouldn't hesitate to send my own children there.

Posted August 23, 2010

This school was absolutely horrible. The teachers hardly care and the students don't put any effort into their work. The student body? Over-privileged rich snots who are above everyone else. The academics also lack. You get crossword puzzles and you get to color things in a math class. Fantastic. I'm glad I only had to go through one year at Palo Verde. God help those who go to this school.

Posted March 25, 2010

Palo is an excellent high school that produces outstanding citizens.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 15, 2010

I am currently a Senior (early graduate) at Palo. As a member of a clique prone to hating an environment such as Palo, I have no complaints whatsoever. I think parents reviewing badly on here are just looking for someone to blame, when it is their child's fault, I mean, just look at the spelling on some of these. My education has been wonderful, my teachers very helpful and appreciative of their jobs, and the counselors and programs have helped me so very much in advancing to college. Overcrowding may look like a problem to parents, but honestly, it makes no difference. If it wasn't a good school, it wouldn't have so many students enrolled each year, and wouldn't be overcrowded. Stay classy, Palo.

Posted January 4, 2010

Its a good school if you want to attend. I'm a sophomore right now and everything is going well. Since last year that I've been attending to this school, the teachers and counselors that I've talked to are nice and helpful on what ever you need. So if you want to attend this school I'll say go for it, it is a good school that has people that will support you.

Posted January 3, 2010

Palo Verde is a wonderful school. My child graduated from there in 2009. It was a wonderful experience for him. My wife and I never had any problems contacting teachers or administration about a concern we had. Our son is doing well in college and Palo Verde had a hand in that. I would recommed Palo Verde.

Posted March 26, 2009

I hate this school. My childs Test scores are horrible, there are more inccedents at this school then ive ever seen out of all the schools ive sent my child to. Her grades are low and the teachers dont pay attention to her. The disopline is very unorganized, she is not doing well at this school. The population is huge yes.. And it doesnt matter right? as long as your child is getting good grades? no.. I dissaprove of this school and do not recommend it for any one.

Posted January 15, 2009

I dont care what anyone says, Dan Phillips is the best principal in the district. He is a fun, caring, but also very proffeshional. He works with the students and helps them grow into fine, young, adults. At the same time, he isn't afraid to lay down the law. With a previos and brief boxing career, he will not hesitate to protect any of Palo's students. Palo Verde is lucky to be graced with his presence. All of my friends wish they had as good of a principal as Mr. Phillips.

Posted April 22, 2008

My daughter is a freshmen this year..I love Summerlin and my neighborhood and the schools, but overcrowded and not a strong parent support

Posted March 15, 2008

Ok let's break this down, 1) The lack of orchestra is due to lack of interest from the student body 2) The lack of closed campus is due to mostly seniors who leave and there is no impact seen from others leaving 3) The 'overcrowded' is not the school's fault and even then the school does a great job of handling the problem 4) For the motivation factor, how about having some parental motivation? The school isn't 100% at fault if the kid drops out, somewhere along the lines its the parents fault as well. 5) The AP staff at PV is absolutely amazing especially Social Studies.

Posted February 22, 2008

This school is horrible. The majority of the teachers use profanity regularly, it is NOT a closed campus although, on paper, it is. They have a school-sanctioned match-making service (I-Flirt fundraiser), school assemblies sponsored by Monster Energy drinks which are given out to students (against CCSD nutrition guidelines), Rap music radio stations for entertainment at lunch time. I could go on and on. What a disservice to our students and community.

Posted January 28, 2008

My daughter has been attending Palo for nearly 2 years and she loves it and all her teachers are very supportive. Thanks to the staff for doing a great job under the stress of over crowding.

Posted April 1, 2007

My child has attended Palo Verde going on four years now. Ever since Paul Oisboid left, the school has gone down the drain. Dan Phillips does not care about any of the fine arts programs and all about sports. He shows favoritism in many of the other programs and is not a good adminstrator at all. I would not recommend sending anyone to this school at all.

Posted March 19, 2007

My daughter goes to Palo Verde HS, and although the financial resources are in plenty, there is no recognition for her academic talents. She actually has about a 4.4 GPA right now, but there has been no 'Congratulations' from anyone at the school. There are 10 portable classrooms, and the school has about a thousand more students than it was built for. There is zero parent involvement in clubs or anything else. I have tried to involve myself, but nobody wanted me to get involved, so I just gave up after a while.

Posted October 5, 2006

My son has been attending Palo for a year and a half and I am extremely pleased with the education he is getting. All of his teachers are exceptional and caring about their students, as is the counseling staff. The Honors and AP programs have been challenging for him. The JROTC program is top notch. The sports program is impressive. I have nothing but good things to say about Palo Verde HS, and being in the military, we have moved many times and have been to many different schools. We will be transfering soon, and my son really doesn't want to leave. Great School!!

Posted September 16, 2006

As the parent of a gifted and talented student who attended Palo Verde for nearly 4 years and dropped out with 4 months left to go, I can't express my frustration strongly enough. I met with his teachers every year to ask for help, and each year I was told the same thing...'we have too many students to give any one student individual attention'. The school is overcrowded, the teachers overwhelmed, and the students uninspired. If you have an exceptionally motivated and self reliant child, they may survive in Clark County schools. Otherwise, get them out of this town before it's too late. My son is attending community college and planning to transfer to a 4 year college, but his education in Las Vegas did nothing to move him forward in life.

Posted August 3, 2006

My experience has been a very negative one with Palo. My daughter was a freshman last year. Her middle school had a fabulous concert orchestra, Palo had no such thing. Teachers/Administrators do not supervise well at all. On numerous trips to the school, I witnessed children leaving campus and not even being questioned. When I approached someone in the office about it, she said that there were just to many kids to watch them all. To me, that is unacceptable.

Posted April 22, 2005

Palo Verde is an excellent school. I've met many of the staff members as well as the principal and I find all of them to be stellar. Sports programs are well run as well as the classrooms.

Posted March 11, 2005

I am a parent of two Palo Verde students. I am very happy with the school, especially the band program. It ranks top in the state. I like the block schedule, but would appreciate a bit more flexibility in choosing classes. (drop the rotation classes, they are typically not strong classes and the time could be better used)

Posted August 31, 2003

Palo Verde is a beautiful campus in a lovely area of Las Vegas, right up against the Red Rock mountains in Summerlin. The extracurricular activities are good, from the arts to athletics. I have some concerns however. Bussing in students from accross the valley is wrong and has created animosity on campus. The transfered students not only do not wish to be here but the neighborhood students do not want them here. I believe this has created an almost hostile environment that is not condusive to a good experience for my son. We have pulled my son out and he is now in a private charter school. Palo Verde has great potential.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

617 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

616 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

612 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2013.

615 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the High School Proficiency Examination (HSPE) to assess high school students in reading, writing, math and science. The HSPE is a high school graduation requirement. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Students without disabilities93%
Proficient in English92%
Not migrant90%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Asian 8% 6%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 21%N/A50%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Fax number
  • (702) 799-1455

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Library
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Sports

• Band
  • Choir / Chorus
  • Orchestra
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

333 South Pavilion Center Dr