No rating

Mountain View Christian Schools

Private | PK-12 | 500 students

We are best known for Leadership Institute.

Living in Las Vegas

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $68,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted July 1, 2014

I came to Mountain View for 2nd grade and just graduated high school, and I never once had a desire to leave! Growing up in this environment has made me into the confident passionate girl I am today. The teachers always care and are ready to talk whenever. I hope to one day bring my kids to MVCS!

Posted June 30, 2014

My child has been at MVCS for 6 years and recently completed the eighth grade. I have never been more pleased with a group of teachers. My older 2 went to public school under the guise of the supposed magnet school program and I was terribly disappointed with the quality of education they received. In my opinion MVCS has by far the most bang for the buck when it comes to my son's future. Can't wait to get him going off to high school.

Posted November 27, 2013

MVCS is great. The teacher's are certified through ACSI or ACTS. This means that they must go through education courses to teach. Several have their Masters degrees in Education. I'm so glad that my students have been going there since Kindergarten. They are in high school now and have opportunities they would never get in public school. They plan on going on to college and I think they will do well because of the rigorous academic program. They are held accountable for all their work, whether they are in sports or fine arts.

Posted September 27, 2013

Safe, drug free and they actually hold students accountable to learn. The Christian foundation and focus on leadership make it the best school in Las Vegas. Neither of my children will attend public school again. I checked other charter schools, but what I found out was VERY concerning. Do your research first!!

Posted September 27, 2013

My grandson has attended MVCS's Preschool for over two years. The school staff has nurtured him with love and guidance. I am impressed with all he's learned. Academically and socially he is well prepared for his kindergarten year! I would recommend MVCS as a safe and caring school to help your child grow!

Posted September 25, 2013

I have been a parent of students at MVCS since 1991. All of my 5 children attended and my last is a senior this year. However, I will continue to be a part of the school as I now have a granddaughter attending the preschool. I love the care and concern that staff has for the students' overall success. MVCS has a vibrant sports program and a variety of fine arts classes and activities. The Leadership component is unique and most excellent for teaching and training the students. This quality program sets the school apart from other private institutions.

Posted September 25, 2013

My family looked hard in Las Vegas to find the right school where we d be challenged academically and enjoy a wide variety of sports, fine arts, and well-rounded activities. We wanted both a friendly, nurturing place for our children beginning preschool, as well as a positive spiritual environment for them to thrive throughout middle school and high school. Because of the fine training they received, 3 of my children have now graduated from MVCS, earned healthy academic scholarships, and received honors in college for their work. Due to my son s training through MVCS s excellent technology department, he was able to get a job his college freshman year in his university s media department as a camera and production tech. One daughter is now pursuing graduate studies in film design, and another graduate is starting a unique career overseas. All my children acquired leadership skills that have built their confidence level and prepared them well for success. I m currently an MVCS parent and proud to say we definitely found the right formula at Mountain View Christian Schools Leadership Institute!

Posted September 23, 2013

My son is in 10th grade and attends MVCS. His neighborhood friends attend a public high school. To hear the stories of violence, drugs, bullying and teachers who look the other way, I will find a way to keep him at MVCS. If anyone questions the academics, just try doing the homework. I've never been a big fan of private schools, but this one actually cares about the students. If your children are living in fear at public schools, take a look at MVCS. It's safe and offers a quality education.

Posted August 20, 2013

This school is really good for preschool and elementary kids. Once you get to middle school and high school the teachers start being one sided. If you have a problem or get in trouble they don't look at the whole picture. Some of the teaching is great but a lot of the teachers don't care and give up.

Posted August 5, 2013

I couldn't think of a better private school for my grandson! He comes home everyday with more and more knowledge, and thoroughly enjoys going to school! Very safe, secure and welcoming!

Posted June 10, 2013

MVCS..... My son just start in January 2013 and we have had a very good eperience at MVCS.... He has Managed to get his one B's and C's grades to A's and one B+.... We are so grateful to his teacher and the school for the education he has been getting at MVCS. My son will be attening 6 grade at MVSC and we are so excited to be able to see his growth in a very short time period. He had struggled at puplic school but at MVCS it was not easy to make the change from a home work week packet that he got done in 15 mins a day to MVCS home work that he had to really think and focus on home work ...At first it was hard home work but with the help of his awesome teacher , he has gotton his education to a higher standards and know achiving awesome grades.... He comes home talking about things he have learned and to be honest , he coming knowing very interesting thing in Arts, drama and music and are advance for his grade level. I would really recommend this school to everyone ! My son loves it there and loves his teacher! This has been my awesome experience!

Posted November 22, 2012

I have attended MVCS since kindergarten. I don't know much different, but I can attest that several people I know that have left, or already attended public school; say it is a much better education. The elementary program is great, but it all goes downhill from there. Academics here are sub-par, for the school mostly focuses on athletics and money. As for the lunch program, it is mediocre and overpriced. I believe that I could get a better education at a public school, or a different private school, but when i asked a trusted teacher's advice, I was immediately discouraged from leaving, and was not given any advice. The only reason I have not left is for convenience, for I graduate next year. The school seems very Christian from the outside, and although some people here are much more Christian-like than public school students, that is not always the case. If you want my advice, raise your child with a good Christian background, then send them to a magnet or public school for a higher education, not to a private school trying to take your hard earned money, and offering very little in return.

Posted April 25, 2012

I don't want to take anything away from the (few) excellent teachers at this school who really care. However, this is not a good school. The low moral and academic standards at this "Chrsistian" school and the lack of leadership in dealing with bullying left us dumbfounded. This was a destructive environment for our children and we disenrolled them. MVCS is just a cash cow with a token chapel service once a week. If you're' looking for a school with Christ at the center.. this is not it.

Posted December 3, 2011

Not the best school.... Most of the students that go here are very christian like, and also I feel like the teachers are unqualified to be teaching. The staff are very rude at times. One staff member yelled at a student "Are you crazy ?! SIT DOWN!" at lunch.This same staff member called one student in my class a wh*re becuase she talked to a freshmen. Why are staff members talking bad about other student?I am a Junior High Student here and the only reason I like the school is because of most of the people i hang out with are very nice. Some staff members are very nice and actually know what they are doing, but not most of them. For my Freshmen year, I plan on leaving this school.

Posted August 5, 2011

They spent money on ipads for all the High School students. What are they doing for the JR and Elementary student. The teachers are not qualified and have no teaching training. Some teachers have their degree in something else, other than education. Teachers don't have teaching licenses and they focus more on the biblical(which is great) but what about education that focuses on the Nevada State Standards and writing traits. The administrators not working into making sure standards are being taught and checked. Their staff days aren't focused on training the teachers and making sure standards are met. Nothing turned into them and checked. Public schools have teacher observations happening at least once a week. Education is top priority and it is being neglected in this school. More focus on sports and leadership. When my child has an assignment, he says the teacher just tells them to read and do the questions. Some materials not covered in class. The writing traits are lacking. I am very dissatisfied by the quality of the education. I feel public schools have better education and qualified, licensed teachers. I pulled my child out.

Posted July 29, 2011

I had my son at MVCS for 4 years, but took him out when he started high school. He was a decent athlete and I figured he'd have a better chance at getting an athletic scholarship by attending a public high school. After 6 months, he had been suspended twice and even had to appear in juvenile court. The drugs, gangs and indifference of the teachers was too much for him to handle. He returned to MVCS and graduated with his class. He even received a scholarship in football to a Christian college. I'd urge anyone with children in the public school system to check into MVCS. I almost destroyed my family by trying to save a few dollars. This is not only the safest school in Las Vegas, but the teachers and staff treat the students like they are family.

Posted July 21, 2011

if you are looking to send your children to a christian school worth every one of your precious pennies i would suggest you look somewhere else, MVCS is not nor will it be the place for you. God is always part of the curriculum and talked about freely (the only plus of this school) but the fact that they have become so jaded by their "leadership training" is quite ridiculous. please do not fall for this leadership ruse. favoritism is by far the biggest problem at this school and they (being administration) do nothing to hide it. athletics could be amazing but the lack of real coaching holds it back. most if not all teachers are not qualified with actual degrees. all in all MVCS used to be a school worth telling about but recently (namely the past few years) it has taken a turn for the worse and it is frankly disgusting.

Posted June 10, 2011

I just went through the worst year of my life at that school. Do not buy the "christian" atmosphere. NO. Most teachers don't have degrees and favortism isn't even hidden. Sports are underpayed so you get horrible uniforms (I was in cheer last year), and I'm most certain I will be behind in public school, even though I got straight A's this year at MVCS. DO NO SEND YOUR CHILDREN HERE. THIS IS FROM A STUDENT'S PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. I can almost guarantee you will regret every dollar spent. They do NOT teach leadership and God is in every single subject. I kid you guys not. Hated it.

Posted June 7, 2011

I love MVCS! My daughter attended when she was in Pre-school and just recently came back after 2 years in public school. Mountain View Christian Schools is not only a school, it is a leadership institute, it is a community of friends and family. Not only do our kids know one another but parents get to know one another because of how involved we become in our children's education. At MVCS, our kids get the best academic education possible and they learn leadership principles as early as Kindergarten. Because of MVCS, our children are equipped to be the best people they can be based on sound Biblical principles and they are empowered to be true leaders in all aspects of their lives. I am so grateful that my daughter is able to attend this school.

Posted June 2, 2011

This school is awesome. It is the best in Vegas. I have sent my children here for many years. It has always been unquestionably Christian and strongly academic. This fall every high school student is getting an iPad for texts, homework, and whatever else this creative staff can come up with. I am looking forward to my grandchildren going to MVCS.

Asian 7% N/A
Two or more races 7% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 1% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 2-year college 3% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 94% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 3% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation UNLV
Grand Canyon University
UNR
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Dr. Crystal Van Kempen-McClanahan
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Advanced placement courses
  • College prep
  • Honors track
  • Virtual school
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • National Honor Society
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom