Explore Knowledge Academy

Charter | K-12 | 700 students

Project Based Learning infused with iPad 2 Technology

Sweep tile

Posted March 17, 2014

As a high schooler, I hated this school. Inappropriate topics were debated, and I could never find myself comfortable there. Also it seemed as if the teachers did not take their jobs seriously. In math all the kids were failing and the homework was worth about half the grade anyway.

Posted January 30, 2014

I have been going to this school for seven years. I have always loved this school. The teachers are great. The only problem that I have ever had was was when I was in third grade. This was when the school just started out. Ever since then the school has improved. The ipads that I use on a day to day basis actually have helped me broaden the way that I learn. I am also very pleased with the teachers that are there. I am able to have a very closr relationship with them because it is such a small school.

Posted December 30, 2013

My child was bullied and handed worksheet after worksheet in his CCSD school and I knew he needed something more for his middle school years so we tried EKA last year. The staff is so friendly and really pushed my son to a higher standard. The kids all get along well and they place an emphasis on community building and small classes of 20 or less is the norm. It's not a perfect fit for everyone but we love it and look forward to trying the EKA high school program.

Posted December 30, 2013

My daughter had a lot of trouble with the administrators and principals, routinely dragging her into the office during class time for silly things like her outfit being too inappropriate for their taste, things she had posted on facebook in regards to how the school had been treating her, a club she wanted to start but was not allowed to, etc. She ultimately left after new administration was not willing to work with her 504 and continued to badger her. I only wish she could have stayed for the teachers, but all the best teachers have also left the school. I don't know what's going on there, but I hope it gets sorted.

Posted October 3, 2013

The test scores and reviews speak for themselves. I tried to post a google review and they have it locked so you can't post a review.

Posted September 25, 2013

My daughter has been attending this school for 6 years. She has never and will never attend another school. My son will start kindergarten here next year. Though I am disappointed that so many of the teachers I was used to left, I still feel this is an amazing school. My children would be lost in a regular school. When they raised the attendance cap from 500 to 700 it was expected that class sizes would get larger but because of the schools learning system the children still get a individual learning platform. One of my favorite teachers is mrs. Snyder she is an absolute god send for me and my daughter.

Posted September 14, 2013

This has to be the worst school in the district!!! Im only giving them a star because i have to. Drop off and pick up is a joke, they should have never got zoning for this school. 10 new teachers and this is their 3rd year, they had a second grade teacher leave 2 weeks into a new year. And now they have the principle trying to teach? Are you not supposed to be managing a school? Maybe this is why the school is rated so low. They sell you on the leveling and the Ipads. The leveling is a good concept if you child is above level but if there behind level when would they ever catch up? I would not recommend this school to anyone!!!

Posted September 12, 2013

this will be my son's 2nd year and he loves it. i had him in clark county school district since 1st grade and it seems that all i got everyday from teachers was him not doing good but it turns out he was bored and know he's being challenged and he is doing good. thanks eka

Posted September 3, 2013

This school is absolutely ridiculous! The valet system is a joke. If you have been in line waiting and it hits 3:30 but they still haven't made it to your car they claim you were late. They have you sign a form saying if you are late again they will call CPS!!! My daughter's teacher is only considered a long term sub with the district. She doesn't allow them to use the bathroom during class (1st grade!!) and when children ask to go she tells them to "hold it!" I have left messages for the director with no return call to find out what is going on. We are one week in and we are withdrawing her tomorrow. The concept of the school is great but they can't seem to figure out how to execute it. No wonder the BEST teachers have left!

Posted August 25, 2013

My daughter is starting her 3rd year at EKA, and i have to say i am very happy with the school. They are warm and friendly and i feel the education is very good. Kids here are doing things most young children don't see until high school. As of now we plan on her doing all her education here.

Posted August 24, 2013

I am very frustrated about this new school year coming up. (august 2013) because of several reasons! Class sizes are at 26-28 kids! (MORE THAN MY NEARBY PUBLIC SCHOOL!) <<------ RIDICULOUS! Over the summer approx 10 teachers left which is really concerning about what's going on behind the scenes! The principal isn't helpful even in bullying and potentially dangerous situations that involve several parents at the school. AND the teacher my kid was assigned this year is NOT a teacher. Her credentials listed online say she is only a "Long-Term Sub" ! NO teaching credentials! Last year she was a sub for 1st but prior all she did was highschool ... How does that make her qualified to teach 26 1st graders?!!!! I AM VERY FRUSTRATED.

Posted April 16, 2013

I love attending EKA. This is my fifth year attending and it is wonderful. It is not an easy school. You are not lead by that hand and you have to work for your grade. The school is not perfect, but as this is only the tenth year we have been in existence, I think we are doing pretty good. This school is not for everyone, many kids are not made to learn in this type of school, but they almost always leave after the first year. If you are an individual learner, this is the school for you.

Posted April 10, 2013

My son has been attending this school for the past five years and LOVED attending until he had Mrs. Maahs as a Teacher this year. She constantly yells at the students and does not offer positive student encouragement. It takes her over a month to respond to concerned parent emails and only responded because I brought it to the Principals attention. She was "claiming" that he never turned his homework in, even though he spent hours the night before completing. It baffled me that he was failing her class, but excelling in all his other classes and it was never brought to my attention. We are at the point where I have the Teacher sign his planner every time he turns in homework. It's ridiculous and we can't wait for this school year to end. If you do enroll your child in this school, pray that they don't get Mrs. Maahs as a Teacher!!

Posted June 6, 2012

My son LOVES this school and I am actually shocked at some of the reviews here. My son just finished his 1st grade here and I am impressed with the knowledge he has learned and eagerly shares with us daily. I like that I can email his Advisor (homeroom teacher) and get a response within a day if not the same day. I think its great that the kids switch classes for different subjects. They test the kids at the beginning of the year and divide the kids by skill level for reading and math. This is beneficial to the kids compared to teaching at one pace for all kids in these subjects as some may be more advanced and/or learns faster than others. My son has become more confident researching, building a project and presenting even more than my middle school daughter. They also have taken field trips to the Planetarium, Museum and more. My only complaint is the valet when having to pick up my son each day. It can be quite a long wait. It was definitely more than I expected and I'm glad he attended EK Academy.

Posted May 25, 2012

I was so disappointed on how the teacher was teaching. My daughter was miserable here. She hating going to school and she is only in 2nd grade. The teacher should not be teaching because she wouldn't treat the children with TLC. she only cared for her paycheck. I finally transferred her to another school which not only meets my child's needs but exceeds in all levels of expectations.

Posted May 24, 2012

My son attended this school from kindergarten through second grade. This school went through three administrators in three years, each one worst than the last. The current administrator is probably the worst yet. The school was originally about parental involvement, but by the end the school acted like they owned your children and were doing you a favor by "letting" you help. Just another typical Clark County public school. If you like being able to meet your children's teachers, want to be involved in the school, and want an administrator that cares more about kids than being on TV and rubbing shoulders with political big-wigs, don't bother with this school.

Posted May 12, 2012

The two years spent at EKA ended in great disappointment. We were led to believe it was something it was not. We believed in the stated philosophy only to be treated very horribly by the administration and much of the support staff. The only reason we finished our last year there was due to our teacher. Nearly all the other students in my children's class started 2011-12 year at EKA and have now transferred elsewhere for much of the same reasons we left. Administration is not kind which is quite ironic with their "Be Kind" campaign. If I were a parent looking into EKA, I would definitely ask about the student turnover rate. Of course, I wouldn't expect administration to tell the truth about the color of the sky, let alone anything of consequence. Also, I would check where EKA lands on the growth model as provided by CCSD. Many of the parents I know were very distressed to find out how far behind their children were after leaving EKA. I know we played catch up this year. I would give this school negative five stars if it were an option.

Posted May 10, 2012

I am so incredibly disappointed in this school. I had very high hopes & thought I had found the perfect placement for my child. His teacher was enthusiastic, & wonderful with my son. Then he began with his reading & math teacher. It wasn't until she called me 2 days before winter break to come pick my child up that I even knew he had a problem in her class. And when I came to pick him up, it was the OTHER teacher that brought him to me & told me he had problems before. After winter break, he continued to have problems in her class & it took about 3 emails to get her to agree to a meeting, where she clearly did not want to be there- watching the clock, making comments about how my son shouldn't be struggling with math because she was his teacher. The last straw was when she told him he was horrible in front of other children. I asked him to be removed from her classroom in Feb & to this day nothing has been done about it. MS.Gustafson swept it under the rug & put a target on my son's back. This week he was suspended for 4 days for something that another child said he had done. I know my child better than she does & I know he is not lying, but she insists he is. I am disgusted.

Posted March 9, 2012

we LOVE this school. My son does great, and it is really building on his weaknesses. I definitely understand this school is not for every child. Nor should it be. I know that my family has had nothing but GREAT experiences from teachers, staff, and the curriculum!!

Posted January 29, 2012

My child has been going to this school for about three months now. We find it to be wonderful! His teachers are all caring, compassionate and professional. It's a tuition-free school with a private school feel because of the quality education and attention that the students receive. Minus the snootiness that can sometimes be associated with private school, of course. Students read in class and are encouraged to read at home as well. It seems that field trips are a bit more frequent for EKA students than at public school. My 8-year-old son and I are both so happy that we made the decision to take him out of the public school that he was zoned for and have him attend here. I have noticed a positive change in his attitude about school and his self-confidence. He is enthusiastic about going to school again. For that, I can't thank the teachers and staff of EKA enough.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the Criterion Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The CRT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 61% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 44% in 2011.

55 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 63% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 62% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 50% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 60% in 2011.

All Students63%

Students without disabilities59%
Proficient in English56%
Not migrant53%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students82%

Students without disabilities71%
Proficient in English73%
Not migrant70%

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the High School Proficiency Examination (HSPE) to assess high school students in reading, writing, math and science. The HSPE is a high school graduation requirement. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Asian 4% 6%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students PE instructor(s)
Special education coordinator
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Yoga club

• 7:45 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
  • Abbe Mattson
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Project-based
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
  • Arabic languages
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• PE instructor(s)
Transportation options
  • Access to sports fields
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

Music
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • National Honor Society
  • Student council/government
  • Yoga club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What are your chances?

10 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year
780
Applications received for the 2012-2013 school year
800
Students typically come from these schools
CCSD
Charter
Homeschooling

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
CSN
UNLV
Nevada State College
College preparation / awareness offered
College presentations or information sessions
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
Students' post-graduation plans in 2013