Nevada Virtual Academy

Charter | K-12 | 4500 students

Best known for our individualized learning plans and award winning curriculum.

Posted March 13, 2012

We have been with NVVA for a nearly 3 months now. When looking into this school, I put both my kids (11th grade & 6th grade) into the car & we went over to the main office to say hello and check it out. We showed up the day of a book fair, which was nice. Having attained the majority of my college education online I truly thought I was prepared to do this. The school sent many textbooks and the instructions are to the letter, but we almost gave up in the first two weeks. We choose to give it some time and in about a week my 11th grader was in sync & liked it. My 6th grader..well we are unsure what we will do. She is doing well academically but she needs the social factor..which has become more evident the last few months. Teachers are not baby sitters. Educating your child is not easy, and I don't think it should be easy. It takes a great deal of time and patience to do what is best for our kids. Yes this program is difficult, it is a bit complicated to learn, but overall your child's education depends on what your child & you make of it together. I would recommend NVVA for those who have much patience & a desire to teach..not just supervise...your child.

Posted March 9, 2012

Our child is a middle school student at NVVA. We are a military family and the base is zoned for a terrible and unsafe middle school. We did not have a lot of options....either put our child in a dangerous school, shell out lots of money for a private school, or homeschool. K12 was our best option. It has served our purpose for this school year but we will not continue it next year. We are moving to a city with excellent public schools and our child is eager to go back to a brick and mortar school. K12 is a good choice for those that are not "traditional homeschoolers." We like the fact that this school is more structured. You will be held accountable for attendance, progress, and mandatory state testing. We feel very confident that our child will be successful in his/her new school because of the quality of the K12 curriculum.

Posted March 2, 2012

I moved back home after attending boarding school for a year and tried out the best public school in Henderson - it was awful. In October of my senior year I switched to NVVA. It's so easy to learn on your own and the teachers are always there via AIM or phone. Being a teen, I'm always on my computer in general so any time I need teacher help - they're there! It's nice for me to learn this self-study at a younger age. I feel accomplished every day after NVVA. I have a lot of flexibility and free time with this form of education. Excellent!

Posted January 11, 2012

This is not a virtual school, there are no interactive online lessons. They send you 30+ huge textbooks and teacher guides and tell you to spend all day every day reading, presenting lessons, having your kid(s) do horrific amounts of paperwork, and you lecture and grade assignments. If you want that, just keep the kid in traditional public school, there is no difference, only you are the constant teacher and are not being paid with your tax dollars to do it.

Posted January 11, 2012

This is a scam. The company makes money from the government for every student who enrolls, but they do not offer any form of virtual lessons or actual teaching. They send you about 10 large boxes of poor quality, very tedious and unhelpful textbooks and lesson notes, and then you are completely on your own. A parent must spend 8+ hours a day doing all the work of a brick-and-mortar teacher. NVVA "teachers" (loose term - they do no teaching) never respond to phone or email msgs in a timely manner. The company just wants their money then for you to do it all on your own. You're better off buying some basic homeschooling books - the material is bound to be better than the copious dribble NVVA sends out.

Posted January 6, 2012

This is my first year in a virtual academy i moved from California to Las Vegas and tried a high school nearby but it was a totally different vibe than Cali. So i decided to try NVVA. My first impression of it was great until i would e-mail my teachers and they wouldn't get back to me after a couple days when i needed help. Another downfall about NVVA is that there system is always updating making it difficult to login. And costumer service is the worse, they are rude and are never a help basically bad service. Probably my first and last year of a virtual academy.

Posted January 6, 2012

EXCELLENT PROGRAM! My 5th grade daughter is doing great at NVVA! Her teacher is amazing and ALWAYS gets back to us right away with e-mails and phone calls. I attend an online school as well, as I am working toward my bachelor's degree in Interdisciplinary Studies K-8. If you are a parent... You must realize that you will be spending 4-6 hours per day teaching your children if your child is in elementary school. You are supplied with all of the materials to "teach" your child... Even word for word direction if needed. If you are a single parent and/or work full-time, this school probably isn't for you. If you want to be 100% active in your child's learning and have the time for NVVA... It is an AMAZING school! My daughter's education is number one...And as far as I'm concerned... Having only one working parent in our household and making less money is well worth making sure my daughter gets the best education possible. WE LOVE NVVA:)

Posted November 15, 2011

I have found that a lot of parents are not taking the time and working with the child, I have some in my family, this is something that you as the parent need to give 6 hours to like the regular class room experience. People put thier child in front of the computer and walk away, a child needs a desk and somewhere to store their information to go back to the next day just like real school, they need to go to the outing's just like you do dogs at the park they need to be socialized learn to play with other kids. Yes its a mistake if you think you can enroll them and say its 8:00 AM get on the computer, you need to sit and listen pop in and out making sure the work is being done and at the end ask questions making sure they are understanding what was presented for that day.. I would say think before you leap, your only hurting the child and if they were havng a hard time in school its gonna be harder in the real world.

Posted October 17, 2011

I read all of these reviews and was very hesitant to put my kid in NVVA, but I did. I put my 2nd grade in NVVA because he was struggling in public school, if your put in the time and don't work with your kid. Don t put your child in this program. But if you have the time and want your kid to advance in his skills, NVVA is a great school! Very good staff and all around very helpful.

Posted August 25, 2011

After many failed attempts to work with our local school to get my gifted son the education he deserved , we enrolled him in NVVA, with great results. He is now able to work at his own accelerated pace, not waiting on everyone else to move. He is engaged daily in different learning styles, and we have the support of the school and teachers in his academic career. I only wish we had found the school sooner.

Posted February 3, 2011

This school was amazing. The only reason my youngest child is no longer with them is the socialization she needed. Yes when your child is below 5th grade you must be a little more active in the role as a educational coach but I had two kids in this schoo,l one 17 and one 9. The high schooler I had a very minimal role in her schooling as the teachers did all of it! If the school system here fails my daughter again we WILL be back :).

Posted February 2, 2011

This school is not interested in teaching students. The only thing they are interested in is making sure that the students take the state tests so the school can continue to get funded. Staff are very difficult to get in contact with and rude.

Posted January 9, 2011

Well I am a student currently going to NVA and I am in high school, 11 grade. I love the fact that i can work at my own pace. Now I noticed that a lot of people are hating on this school. Why? That makes no sense, if you are a parent BEFORE you sign your child up you should know that yes you have to work. You will have to monitor your child(ren) because it is similar to home school. Even if you think that "Oh my kid(s) can handle it, they are smart" they STILL need your help no matter how old they are. As a parent you have to make a commitment to, even in "Regular school " you should be involved. I love NVA it is way better than most online schools and I find it easier to talk to teachers online to. My sister is also in it (3rd grade) but it doesn't work for her because she is far to social and that is okay. But before you enroll know what is going to happen and how online school work. Oh yea and the part about no good teach, NO NO YOU TAKE THAT BACK! - Written by a caring student <3

Posted October 19, 2010

I don t recommend NVA even though I highly recommend K12. You can purchase the K12 curriculum from the K12.com site through its K12 independent program. My husband and I were so unimpressed by the NVA administrative staff and their rude, arrogant and incompetent Principal, that we decided to withdraw our child and buy the K12 curriculum independently. If K12 were smart they d get rid of NVA and find some other organization to represent them in Nevada.

Posted April 28, 2010

any negativity toward Nevada Virtual Academy is because parents do not know how to coach or parent their own child. Weather they are single and working the academy offers an academic environment suited towards older children from 7th grade up. when children can be more responsible. If your child can not be responsible by 7th grade then maybe a strict or military schooling is what the child needs as well as the parent. The academys first question to you as a parent is can you be a responsible coach and or leader to a child. If you say no, then you should opt out as parent and should not of every have had a child. In fact you are probably the child who left their child with their parents, the grandparents, who should be enjoying the children not parenting them. So think before you answer questions about NVA. Thank you

Posted March 18, 2010

I would have to give this school 2 thumbs down. I made the mistake of enrolling my son and it has been a nightmare ever since. The school has attacked me personally because I am a single mom who works, when I asked for help. They ignored my requests for months, then said if I didn't like it I could take my son and go. This school is a big mistake!

Posted March 12, 2010

Please be careful if thinking about NVA. They do not tell the parents the honest truth, which is, you will be responsible 100% for teaching your student. They do not offer support to the students as well as the parents. When asking for help (2 years), I finally got a nasty letter from the principle, one of those I am smarter than you and you don't know what you are talking about kind, and I am done. The school is collecting the funding for the students, but are unwilling to take on the responsibility of actually teaching the kids. BEWARE! Oh, my son is doing worse academically, and has asked to go back to a 'real school', where he will have a teacher. I am ashamed and guilt ridden that I could not spend the time on my sons academia, but then again I am not a certified teacher.

Posted October 30, 2009

My child attended NVVA last year. After careful consideration, I withdrew her. I found the disorganization caused me a lot of administrative headaches which were not worth the access to a free curriculum. The teacher was not very supportive at all. I was especially upset with the poor support with regards to prepartion for the Nevada CRT testing. I noticed the school is currently on the state watch list. I can understand why this would happen. The learning coacghes, ie. the parents - not the teachers -are given too much work and repsonsibility.

Posted October 12, 2009

I love Nevada Virtual Academy beause Administration and Teachers care so deeply about students success, and becasue we have supportive and involved parents that make a difference every day!

Posted September 19, 2009

My Daughter is in Grade 8 and really likes NVVA. She is motivated by the curriculum and likes doing the work at her pace. She always has been a night owl and this works for her. Her grades are pretty good .

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the Criterion Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The CRT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

226 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

224 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

239 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

240 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 61% in 2013.

240 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 44% in 2011.

186 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

353 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 63% in 2013.

352 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2013.

465 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 62% in 2013.

461 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

517 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 50% in 2013.

518 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

514 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 60% in 2011.

428 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students53%

Students without disabilities49%
Proficient in English47%
Not migrant47%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students60%

Students with disabilities (IEP)19%
Proficient in English37%
Not migrant36%

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the High School Proficiency Examination (HSPE) to assess high school students in reading, writing, math and science. The HSPE is a high school graduation requirement. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

All Students85%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 0%N/A54%
Male 48%N/A51%
Female 52%N/A49%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Brick and Mortar Public School
Colleges most students attend after graduation University of Nevada Las Vegas
University of Nevada Reno
College of Southern Nevada
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• College Preparedness Month Nov
  • College presentations or information sessions
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses

• Mike Kazek
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Part-time study
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
  • K12 curriculum
  • Virtual school
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Creative writing
Media arts
  • Computer animation

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Lego club
  • Service club
  • Student council/government
  • Student newspaper

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Booster club
  • Chaperone school trips

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
Brick and Mortar Public School

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
University of Nevada Las Vegas
University of Nevada Reno
College of Southern Nevada
College preparation / awareness offered
College presentations or information sessions
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
College Preparedness Month Nov