Cheyenne High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 2188 students

Posted March 23, 2014

I have two grandsons that attend cheyenne and I am very pleased overall with the school. The Band is spectacular and always wins awards and competitions. I saw my grandsons grades improve. I like all the teachers. And I like the school overall. The lady TRACY that handles the front office is wonderful and the staff is helpful. I think they exceed my expectations.

Posted August 23, 2013

THis school is more concerned about it's test grades for funding than for the children's education. The staff doesn't know it's left from right and I've had nothing but problems since my child started school here 2 years ago. And to start the new year off right, I got to work at 3:30pm on Aug 23, 2013. My son received his schedule in the mail and read a flyer stating that open house was 3 hours away at 6pm. Here we go again. ..smh. I guess I should be grateful that at least this year that he got his schedule.

Posted October 21, 2012

i love this school and there activities i also love the rules of the school, i would to come to this school

Posted April 10, 2010

The school has consistently been improving, but the school spirit is still very low. Clubs and activities are suffering greatly. The new tardy policy is absolutely ridiculous, hopefully with the change in administration next year things will get better.

Posted November 30, 2009

this school dress code is outragious and utterly stupid !! other than that the school is fine

Posted March 2, 2009

Cheyenne High School has reflected qualities that most schools offer at a slightly better level. The school's effort to create academic standard's and enforce behavior policies has lacked in many efforts last year. Although recently has raised the bar on academic qualification by raising up the rules, repainted and refurbishing, and cleaning up the problems. The school is not bad but not perfect.

Posted October 19, 2008

Cheyenne High School is top notch. Dr. Geihs, the school principal, is one of the best leaders I have ever encountered. I am proud that my children attend Cheyenne.

Posted February 3, 2008

Cheyenne has made many improvements and I see them continuing this effort to help our students excel

Posted January 4, 2008

I am currently a freshmen at Cheyenne and what I think is that, at any school you go to, it will have its problems. The main point i, your experience in school is what you make it. It is up to you, on how you want your outlook on high school to be. I mean sure, the school is over crowded and could be better but in other words, it is what you make it and your decision to apply yourself.

Posted December 28, 2007

I a a freshman at Cheyenne high and I would say overall the school is a good especially considering the kind of schools that are near by...I do think that Cheyenne could improve on tutoring opportunities.

Posted August 28, 2007

This school was a complete disappointment when it came to its care and treatment of students with learning disabilities. I understand that there's a lack of funding for various programs, but when so many students should be receiving services and modified instruction, their educational needs should receive funds before the extra curriculars. Why should cheerleaders and jocks receive new uniforms if the teachers special needs classes don't even have the necessary teaching materials? And don't get me started on the lack of books. I have been blessed with the opportunity to visit and experience school districts across the country and have been disgusted and dismayed at how far both Cheyenne and CCSD, sit on the education scale. There is lack of parental involvement and the many of the school's policies are outrageous. Spend money on learning from districts that thrive, then implement some of their practices. It would help tremendously.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 8, 2007

This school is the best!! I love it sooo much!! its a wounderful and safe and fun school!

Posted May 3, 2007

Dr. Geihs is a wonderful principal who holds his staff and the students accountable. I am so please my kids attend Cheyenne.

Posted May 3, 2007

The students body at Cheyenne is great. Ms. Lawson, one of the assistant principals, is such a nice lady too. Dr. Geihs is really nice, but he enforces a lot of rules. I am told that this has made the school better so I guess it's okay. Cheyenne is a good school.

Posted April 21, 2007

First of all the school is over crowded and it doesnt have enough hands on material and teachers to teach our special disability students. I as a parent have use all my resource up burn out helping my own kids in this are my involvement and support is there.

Posted April 12, 2007

The school is disclean,unorganized,dismounted,out of control,unsafe and does not have good teaching method

Posted July 9, 2006

I have been so thrilled with the changes at Cheyenne High School since Dr. Geihs became the principal. The campus looks wonderful and the students seem more focused on academics. Keep up the good work!

Posted June 20, 2006

I am discusted by the Administrators and Teachers at Cheyenne. All I have received from anyone there is a lot of double talk and a hard time. My daughter plays volleyball and soccer for the school, so far I have not dealt with one person willing or able to help my daughter with her curricular planning.

Posted June 24, 2005

The teachers and staff at Cheyenne High School have been wonderful since my daughter's enrollment there 2 years ago. The principal, Dr. Geihs, is outstanding and has conveyed his high expectations for students and for his staff. I am so happy with his leadership.

Posted September 19, 2004

I have 2 children that attend Cheyenne this year, a Senior & a Freshman! I have been quite pleased w/ the staff and the administration. We lost a lot of GREAT coaches this year and I was very sad to see that but overall I think my Senior has had a great time and I think my Freshman will have a great deal of opportunities ahead for him. Mrs. Armstrong is THE BEST Teacher and Ms. Lee is THE BEST Counselor!The Security Guards are AWESOME, the Parents MUST be involved that is the ONLY thing that keeps Good in and Bad out! Cheyenne has received a bad rap I think because people still think of North Las Vegas as an area to stay away from, they are wrong our City is Raising it's standards and our community is coming together, with those two combinations NOTHING but GREATNESS can be achieved!!!!

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

489 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

488 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

479 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2013.

476 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the High School Proficiency Examination (HSPE) to assess high school students in reading, writing, math and science. The HSPE is a high school graduation requirement. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Students with limited English proficiency21%
Proficient in English72%
Not migrant68%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 66%N/A54%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Music
  • Choir / Chorus
Performing and written arts
  • Drama

• Dr. Jeffrey Geihs
Fax number
  • (702) 799-4856

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)