Durham, NH

Oyster River Middle School 4

Posted April 30, 2014
I left the Oyster River School District after 8th grade to attend a private high school, so I can't say that Oyster River Middle School didn't help me. One of the biggest problems with this school is the teaching method. Oyster River is home to some very small and some not-so very smart students. The teaching method is to aim right in the middle, making school hell for the not-so smart, and making school excruciatingly boning for the smarter students. There are very few teachers that I remember pushing me to do better, and challenging me. Oyster River Middle School was a cake-walk, and it got old fast. In addition to not being challenging, the school an teachers were all about "fairness", not at all preparing you for the rough world out there. If a teacher brought 10 doughnuts to class, but there are 11 students, then nobody can have a doughnut-->That sounds dumb, and I know that, but it's how the system works. It's part school, part day-care. Grow up. I don't mean to sound bitter, though I am very aware that I do, but Oyster River (especially the 7th and 8th grade divisions) need to bulk students up and get them ready for the extremely unforgiving road ahead.

Posted January 03, 2013
I have two children in the school, currently in grade 5 & 7. I have one more child in 3rd grade who will attend in a couple years. It's not perfect, but we're very happy with the school. Middle school is an adjustment for both parents and children. A heavy emphasis is placed on students taking responsibility for their own work, and due to that parents tend to feel less involved or in control than they did in elementary school. Teachers have always been willing to meet or discuss issues either via phone or email. Not every teacher is tech savvy but most are. The school continues to make steps towards continued ed tech implementation. Jay Richards (principal) and his staff are always great to work with. I can't count the amount of co-curricular opportunities available - from ski club to sports to "Kids that Care" to homework club - there is something for everyone. The middle school jazz band is well known in this area and takes a trip to Disney every couple years. One of my children has an IEP and is receiving plenty of support. My 7th grader has a lot of homework each night - about 2 hours on average.

Posted December 05, 2011
I am so impressed with ORMS. I have had two children matriculate through and have been very happy with their (our) experiences. The teachers, for the most part, are dedicated, caring and enthusiastic. The administration knows every student and every parent (impressive in a school of over 600 students) and always make themselves available to communicate with parents. I LOVE this school!

Oyster River Middle School 1

Posted April 14, 2011
This school is on the decline. A lackluster schoolboard, and burned out teachers who dont encourage students to learn, make this school unenjoyable. As a new student in 5th grade, the experience has not been pleasent. Now in 8th grade, i am transfering

Posted October 25, 2010
Our 6th grader transferred into this school in the 5th grade, and the change in academic habits, excitement about learning, his grades, and overall academic progress has skyrocketed in this school. Excellent, dedicated, highly skilled teachers complement an aggressive and thoughtful academic program. A child that was formerly failing math, now regularly scores in the 90%+ range on his math tests, and has even expressed an interest in becoming an automotive engineer. The teachers are personally concerned with the success of each student. Content is often introduced to students and taught using analogy and hands on exercises, which really keeps our learner engaged.

Posted December 12, 2009
i am a student at orms and i dont always enjoy school but when i started going to the middle school all of that changed

Posted September 13, 2006

Oyster River Middle School
1 Coe Dr, Durham, NH  03824
Last modified Oyster River Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oyster River Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top