Northwood Elementary School 5

Posted June 26, 2013
Most of the previous negative comments seem to be referencing issues from the prior administration, or issues created by the school board that have been put on the current administration to solve or implement. Having had children at the school for the past 10 years, I have dealt with most of the faculty and administrators in some capacity. There are many excellent teachers and some that need to retire - like any school. Like others who have left comments, I also was not impressed with the previous administration, but there has been a complete change in that area and I have been very satisfied with the current AP for all concerns that I have had to bring to her attention. I feel Northwood is now an excellent school, and could be even better if the school board would stay out of it!

Posted January 02, 2013
The K - 8 school is an enormous annual expense but does a poor job of educating our children. We spend 30% more than surrounding towns and have significantly lower test scores. The school board is the problem. They are well intentioned but clueless about how to deliver good results cost effectively. And they lack willingness / have no idea how to improve. I feel bad for the kids but see no chance for improvement in the foreseeable future.

Posted December 05, 2011
I am writing this review primarily as a parent, secondarily as a taxpayer. This school has done an injustice to both my kids to the point where I had to pull them out and homeschool them for as long as I was able in order to remove them from the hostile environment. Unfortunately the teachers and the principal (and Vice principal) contribute to this environ. They say that they have an aggressive anti-bullying policy but that simply is not enforced. I am still working to repair the damage that they have done to my children. As a parent I wish I had the choice to where my tax dollars went because I can assure you, that my tax dollars wouldn't be going to this undeserving school. In addition, the SAU in charge of this school was ineffective and the staff undeserving of their paychecks. As far as "reaching out" to parents-they make a good show of it, but when parents have a legitimate concern at the school, at BEST parents will be given lip service. Parents really need a school choice so that their taxpayer dollars are used wisely as only parents know what's best for their kids.

Posted July 01, 2011
This school is awful. Absolutely awful. This school does whatever it can to avoid giving a child services he/she needs. The focus is on what is best for the bottom line and not what is best for the child. There are some in the community who vote down everything school related, even though their children went to the same school and still live in town. I want better for my children than what this school offers. I thought moving into this town would be the best because of the high school and figured the elementary school would be just as good. I was mistaken. Think long and hard before moving to this town. It has positives, but the elementary school is not one of them.

Northwood Elementary School 2

Posted March 06, 2011
This school has some major issues with academics, most subjects have been cut due to towns people being concerned over taxes rather than the quality of our children's education. While some teachers may be good, there are many who teach well below average. The special education students don't get their Individualized Education Plans or 504s fulfilled, without threatening the school with legal action.

Northwood Elementary School 2

Posted September 07, 2010
i have 2 children currently enrolled in NES. I am also a former employee. This school has seriously gone down hill with the new administration. Their main focus seems to be on money and legas lissues. They are running the school like a businessm not the educaitonal facility that it is. This school did not meed ayp last year. This is mainly due to the special ed childrens test scores. So what does administration do, they eliminate a special educaiton case manager position and lay off paraprofessionals. The people who lost their jobs this year did not loose them due to job performance, This means the special education children in this school, now have less help. They are hurting the children who need the most help. This decision was made by administration, and upheald by the school board. Administration gets an F from this parent.

Northwood Elementary School 0

Posted May 13, 2010
I wish the teachers of Northwood Elementary were better informed on ADD and ADHD. I find there lack of education in this area disturbing.

Northwood Elementary School 5

Posted May 05, 2010
As a former teacher at Northwood School, I know that Northwood teachers are some of the most dedicated and caring teachers that you'll ever find. They genuinely care about the students and always continue to soldier on for the students despite any challenges along the way. Northwood School deserves the recognition because so many of the staff and faculty have worked there for decades and are completely invested in the school and the students.

Posted July 30, 2009
I am in and out of this school frequently and have been for years as my children grew. There is a real difference in the learning environment that has occurred within the past 3-4 years. The leadership and support of the faculty and students has deteriorated greatly to the point that I will be placing my youngest child in private school which will truly impact my financial situation. You do what you have to when it comes to protecting your child.

Posted June 07, 2009
Dispite the fact that school board members write reviews for this site, the problems remain as discussed. Leadership is poor with overreaction, emotional outbursts and poor role modeling by the principal. The teachers work hard to overcome this.

Northwood Elementary School
511 First Nh Tpke., Northwood, NH  03261
Last modified Northwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Northwood Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top