Bad
Good

I have one child that went through all 5 years at North Salem Elementary and two that are in th school this year and have nothing but great experiences with North Salem Elementary. The quality of the teachers are consistently high and they are very personable with the kids. When one of my kids was out for a while due to an accident, his teacher set him up on a program where he could keep up from home and the school provided a home tutor. Besides good academics, there are terrific, well thought out activities and chances for parents to be involved. The recent facilities update and addition to the school is also top quality and very nice for the kids to have such great facilities.

We just moved here from Illinois. I have two children and my son, 8 yrs old is autistic. We enrolled in North Salem towards the end of the school year (which was less than ideal) because my husband switched jobs. I cant express with enough gratitude how incredible the whole school has been to my kids. The first day of class all the children made them welcome cards. Janice Wilkins, the principal, announced them on the loud speaker and they both came home feeling like celebrities! My son has all the attention and services he needs and has the most amazing teacher, Mrs. Carol Arnold. We were dreading this move to a new school and it has been the best thing we ever did!

The only positive review on this school was from 5 years ago and the principal at the time has been gone for 4 years. When looking at "A great school has" this school has very poor academic programs and not very strong principal/school leadership, it does have some excellent teachers but unfortunately with the lack of leadership and other poor teachers (any teacher that screaming at and/or intimidating children is not a good teacher) it overshadows the good teachers. I'm just thankful that my last child is out of the school at the end of this school year. If I could rate this school at less than 1 star I would.

I don't think this school should have a 6 rating. My step-daughter goes to North Salem and her teacher does not return phone calls, updated the homework page on schoolnotes.com for months, and is frequently absent. Also I have had concerns and called the principal and she too also will not return phone calls. I think this school should get a 3 or 4 rating.

Last modified North Salem Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.