School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

St. Thomas is a school community focused on education, faith, and growth as a person. The teachers take their time to help each student succeed to the best of their abilities. The students and families are supportive of the school and are always willing to help out. The faculty and staff focus on nurturing and improving the intellectual talents of the students through the use of our impressive technology, following of core curriculum standards, and various techniques of teaching! Coming to work here everyday is like coming home, the school is a family, a family that continues to grow as one and invites new members all the time!! -Teacher of 5 years at STA
June 13, 2015

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted June 13, 2015
Teacher's effectiveness varies by grade, I do wish the level of teaching was consistent across all grades.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 13, 2015
There are many projects throughout the year that are geared towards helping others. There was a family in need, and it was beautiful to see the entire school come together to help that family. Our example is the greatest lesson to our children.

Posted June 13, 2015
I'm very pleased with St. Thomas. My children are learning, and most importantly are surrounded by a supportive community. I like that all the teachers, and students in different grades and parents, know my kids and they feel that community spirit. I'm sure they would learn the same academics in the local public school, but I'm so glad they are growing up in this type of community, esp in the middle school years.

Posted June 13, 2015
St Thomas has an excellent community of families and teachers they are always up to date with current curriculum and activities such as istem robotics and sports the students are taught to respect others and receive an excellent religious education

- a school leader

St Thomas The Apostle School 1

Posted May 01, 2015
St.Thomas is full of bullies. The children here are so unfriendly. There are kids getting cursed out, being called names, going into groups and gossiping, and some kids are just unruly and curse out the teacher too! The teachers seem to be taking care of the issues more than teaching, and we are so unhappy at this school. The teachers are giving a lot of detention-during school-and we think that it's not enough. There are always fundraisers too- a lot of them, and we have plenty of moments to spend extra money. Sports are focused on way too much. I hope that over the summer they can fix these problems. We are very unhappy, and disappointed.

St Thomas The Apostle School 2

Posted January 16, 2015
My child goes to this school and happy and comfortable to be with friends. However, I think academics is inadequate. The teachers don't seem to be as enthusiastic and dedicated as they used to be. The members of the administration are nice people but there seem to be a lack of interest on their part. Communication has gotten worse and families are not as friendly as they used to be. There is a great deal of focus on extra-curricular activities particularly sports. A lot of the kids are competitive and enjoy it. However as parents I think they need to work on a more balanced curriculum and improve relationship with parents.

St Thomas The Apostle School 2

Posted October 25, 2014
I've always been somewhat skeptical about the quality of the education my children were getting at STA. There's a little more advancement in technology but hard to see the penetration of technology and specialized programs in the class material. I think the staff and infrastructure could use an infusion of new energy, but the base is sound. Sports is a big focus in this school, I think. Not necessarily bad but I think there has to be some balance against academics and other extra-curricular activities. With parent interaction, it's either you're in or you're out. My child is happy with the school, progressing and has made friends. If public school is improved in the area, I would probably go that route.

St Thomas The Apostle School 4

Posted March 05, 2014
St. Thomas is a great alternative to Bloomfield Public schools. Unlike public schools, there is no mandate to follow the Common Core standards. The teachers are free to teach the ways they know best. All the teachers are there because they love teaching- not due to their public school salaries or pensions. This school has a strong community feeling. Opportunities for after school activities and sports are plentiful which produces well-rounded students. The students have a sense of pride attending STA.

St Thomas The Apostle School 1

Posted February 13, 2014
Top priority was not all about academics. Sports and fundraising and fundraising - definite yes. You have some good teachers but many can use more training. Decent amount of extra curricular activities, may be important to some.

50 Byrd Avenue, Bloomfield, NJ  07003
Last modified St Thomas The Apostle School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St Thomas The Apostle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top