PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

St. Thomas is a school community focused on education, faith, and growth as a person. The teachers take their time to help each student succeed to the best of their abilities. The students and families are supportive of the school and are always willing to help out. The faculty and staff focus on nurturing and improving the intellectual talents of the students through the use of our impressive technology, following of core curriculum standards, and various techniques of teaching! Coming to work here everyday is like coming home, the school is a family, a family that continues to grow as one and invites new members all the time!! -Teacher of 5 years at STA
June 13, 2015

Bad
Good

The people who say bad things about STA are very wrong in my opinion. The teachers at St. Thomas the Apostle School has truly taught me a lot of things that I am learning in school now. As a graduate, I can say that STA is full of great teachers, faculty members, and students. It is a great choice to send your child there, and it is most certainly better than any other public or private schools in the area. Not only are the academics up to par, but so is the athletic program. The school also stresses the importance of God in your life, which is also very important.

I think private schools are better than any other public schools. However it's gotten so expensive that it will always make you think if it's all worth it. The academics are fine at STA, but nothing great. There are extra curricular activities and the school and parents take pride in that. If you find this valuable, you will be happy here. The teachers, staff and curriculum can be better improved to justify the cost.

We have been a member of the St. Thomas School Community for 6 years. We do not live in Bloomfield, we live in a community with public schools that receive high ratings and we chose to send our children to St. Thomas to receive their education. We believe our children are receiving a higher level of education than they would in any public school. We can easily see the difference when the kids get together with kids from other schools. The extra-curricular projects at St. Thomas are second to none. There is a chess club, a keyboard club, a lego club, a full band, a drama club and sports for every season including cheerleading. The sports at STA are no more competitive than any other school. The kids get out of it what they put into it. There are no cuts, anyone can play. The coaches are all volunteer and some have been coaching at STA for 10 years or more. As a family we have never had a second thought about our decision to send our kids to St. Thomas. We highly recommend the school to anyone who asks. We look forward to the future of St. Thomas and watching our children mature into young adults and move on to high school..

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Teacher's effectiveness varies by grade, I do wish the level of teaching was consistent across all grades.

I'm very pleased with St. Thomas. My children are learning, and most importantly are surrounded by a supportive community. I like that all the teachers, and students in different grades and parents, know my kids and they feel that community spirit. I'm sure they would learn the same academics in the local public school, but I'm so glad they are growing up in this type of community, esp in the middle school years.

St Thomas has an excellent community of families and teachers they are always up to date with current curriculum and activities such as istem robotics and sports the students are taught to respect others and receive an excellent religious education

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted June 13, 2015

St.Thomas is full of bullies. The children here are so unfriendly. There are kids getting cursed out, being called names, going into groups and gossiping, and some kids are just unruly and curse out the teacher too! The teachers seem to be taking care of the issues more than teaching, and we are so unhappy at this school. The teachers are giving a lot of detention-during school-and we think that it's not enough. There are always fundraisers too- a lot of them, and we have plenty of moments to spend extra money. Sports are focused on way too much. I hope that over the summer they can fix these problems. We are very unhappy, and disappointed.

My child goes to this school and happy and comfortable to be with friends. However, I think academics is inadequate. The teachers don't seem to be as enthusiastic and dedicated as they used to be. The members of the administration are nice people but there seem to be a lack of interest on their part. Communication has gotten worse and families are not as friendly as they used to be. There is a great deal of focus on extra-curricular activities particularly sports. A lot of the kids are competitive and enjoy it. However as parents I think they need to work on a more balanced curriculum and improve relationship with parents.

I've always been somewhat skeptical about the quality of the education my children were getting at STA. There's a little more advancement in technology but hard to see the penetration of technology and specialized programs in the class material. I think the staff and infrastructure could use an infusion of new energy, but the base is sound. Sports is a big focus in this school, I think. Not necessarily bad but I think there has to be some balance against academics and other extra-curricular activities. With parent interaction, it's either you're in or you're out. My child is happy with the school, progressing and has made friends. If public school is improved in the area, I would probably go that route.

Last modified St Thomas The Apostle School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8