Bad
Good

Im an 8th grader here and its an awesome school!! There are no bully problems and we are a NJ school to watch which is really amazing. Our principal is so nice and awesome :) the teachers are amazing! Anyone who thinks otherwise must be thinking of a different school.

hi i am a 12 year girl who is getting ready to move to chester in summer 2011. i am moving here from ny and i have to say i am really scared about moving. i have not been the most popular girl at my old school, and I constantly have to batttle the whole "cliques" of schools. i have never gone to public school and I have never lived in NJ. I don't know anyone out there so I am pretty much starting fresh! I am really excited, but I have my nervousness. My mom went to open house and she said it looks really good. If any students could give me advice on what to expect or information about the kids and stuff, I would really appreciate it. thanks.

This is the best school! It has a variety of after school activities and the teachers are amazing! I would recomend any child to go here!

agree with the sub. I am a former principal of an elementary school and i do not like what I see going on at this school. My son's first day was horrible(he started after winter break). The first thing his teacher said to him was 'You're late' and to me she said 'Why are you here? No parents.' This was his first day! Then when I was at the school I overheard a teacher say to a sub 'You're working too hard, take a break, you're making us look bad.' I was appalled. When I was a principal I encouraged parents to ask questions and really look at the inner workings of the school. Not just a chat with the teachers who will give a pretty answer. Look at the ugly. Listen in the hallways. Talk to the aides and the students. Get involved to change this school!

Wow. Can't believe the rating from the sub. Whew, thank goodness they left! Although my 6th grader has only been there a few months, the school has proven to be warm, inviting, and motivational. When I had questioned my daughter's 'team-lead' teacher, I got immediate, insightful feedback. I am thrilled with my daughters progress at BRMS.

going to school here was amazing. the teachers are fantastic and really help you through everything and they offer all the help you can ask for. i always felt well prepared for the NJASK state test due to the staff and i took alot out of every subject every year. theres alot of extra activites; such as sports, clubs etc. i know some sports team are try-out and some are not but alot of kids are on teams and are played fairly. so get involved join a club, and become a y oung adult at this school. i did and loved every moment of being there. i wasnt afraid of school and i felt i was always placed into the right class with my level of work! its a great school, and i wish more people would realize how wonderful it is.

I am a substitute teacher here and it has opened my eyes to what a joke this school is. Lazy teachers, old lesson plans, no cohesive teaching philosophy. Kids just seem to pass through and go to the next grade. It will catch up with them one day. Too depressing to work there and I have left.

I love this school. I attended back in the 70's, and as far as I can tell from my children, they have rigorous academics coupled with great, caring, involved teachers. My son can't wait for his test scores, and the kids are very focused on their accomplishments. The teachers are very good at keeping in touch with the parents

Last modified Black River Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.