Cicely Tyson Middle/High School

Public | 6-12 & ungraded | 48 students

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted March 13, 2014

This school has a great academic program. Students who have the ability to Become professional dancers, singers and performing artists. it also has good state testing scores. My son is in the band and got a Standing ovation from Ciecely Tyson. I am proud of what this school is accomplishing in this area. Please support them so that they can improve.

Posted February 3, 2014

It has Greater Potential . Wish they would find ways to make learning more exciting , or at least be somewhat interested in our opinion.

Posted October 21, 2013

This is a great school but it has many trouble makers and detract ions that take away the students focus and some of the teachers don't give all the support that is needed for the kids that need it . I use to attended but there was many trouble makers that change good students into bad ones and the concequences don't seem to help as much. But I know that the kids like me are very promising young talented people

Posted August 28, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this school, but I will give it 4 stars. This school has great potential. It has improved over the years. It has some great teachers and staff. The kids are truly talented. Office staff is good, LOVE LOVE LOVE the new principal Ms. Champagne. If anyone takes the school places I think it will be her. We'll see. I thought Dr. Cowan would, but the school did not really thrive when he was there. The Guidance Counselors are wonderful, Ms. Evans is amazing. Now, that all being said, I still don't think the school has reached the caliber that it should, not yet. There are still kids in the school who cause trouble. They don't deserve to be there if they are troublemakers and bullies. To me the school will reach its full potential if they get rid of the ones who make learning difficult for others, because of their behavior. And yes there are some teachers there too who REALLY need to get it together, but honestly, I think Ms. Champagne will handle it. My kids love the school, and I think once they really get EVERYTHING together, the school will truly be a force to be reckoned with. And I think they are working towards that.

Posted May 16, 2013

My son entered Cicely Tyson School last September as a sixth grader. I have been extremely pleased with the entire staff. I cannot say enough about the level of support and extra assistance that have been offered to him and also to me as a parent. His teachers have always been willing to call, email or meet with me if I had any questions or concerns. We have had a very positive experience and I look forward to the same in the future.

Posted July 7, 2012

I really would like to go to this school but i would like to know the following questions.....Do you have to live in East Orange to attend this school?, If you have to audition when do you and if you do have to audition, could i audition during the summer time or is it to late?

Posted March 15, 2012

I have four grandchildren that's in attendance at Cicely Tyson school and I must say that they are making their grandmother very proud, first with their accademics, second their choices of what they chose to do as far as their extra-curricular activities, the teachers staff and any other staff members are very helpful with students, parents and grandparents. They all have very heavy loads but they are keeping up with as well as going above and beyond what ever it is that they have to do, I am not going to complain. There need to be more parent involvement with the school and I don't see that taking place at all, but the parents will come out to a program. Come on parents where are you?

Posted March 18, 2010

This is one of the worst schools in New Jersey probably in America. My daughter goes there and she has the worst experience. First of all her lunch is 4th period which is 10:35 in the morning. She has a 9th and 10th period and school for her basically ends at 4:00. The school lunches are disgusting sometimes she doesnt even eat. Another bad thing about the school is how they locked down the bathrooms and she has to all the way to the 1st floor just to go to the bathroom and most of her classes are on the 3rd floor. The last thing is the teachers and the homework. At one point she didnt have a teacher. Eventually she got one but still.... She gets so much homework its unbelievable she doesnt have time for basketball practice or chores. Overall this school is terrible.

Posted March 18, 2010

Posted January 22, 2010

I have 3 children at this school. For the most part, the guidance counselors and the teachers are great. They seem to care a lot about my children. I like that it is a performing arts school because my children have many oppotunities to be involve in several clubs and activities which I don't think they would be given the same in a regular public school.

Posted January 2, 2010

I went to Cicely Tyson and I recently graduated last year. Overall, my experiences there were horrible. I was a student there for 7 year (6-12 grade) and there were very few teachers and instructors that actually cared about the academic excellence of the students. The school was about apperances. Over worked and under-appriciated instuctors built on a fundation of the ignorance shared among their superiors. I may have not enjoyed my time as a student there, but I have to say I did learn a lot about my profession from the few individuals that wanted to make a difference in my life. Mrs. Laura Trimmings was and still is a horrible principle, only concerned with making herself look good instead doing her job. Hopefully in the future some else can take over and showcase how a school of the Arts should be ran.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 19, 2009

I think that the principal should show more interest in the marching band since it is a performing arts school and not as a second class degenarate. i never saw her at any of the performances, rehearsal never show or care what is happening to these kids that represent her school, she should or pertent to at least show that she care what happens to these kids.over all i think it is a excellent school where the kids could excell in their careers

Posted October 29, 2009

My name is Quincy Carter and I am an alumni of The Cicely Tyson School of Performing and Fine Arts. This is one of the best art schools in the state of New Jersey. The staff at the school really expose the students to the real world and what it is like being in the real world. I am not saying this because I graduated from there but because it is truly a diamond in a rough.

Posted September 24, 2008

The school is wonderful I go to Cicley Tyson and I admire it. They have good teachers that help students to achieve in the school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 31, 2008

I graduated from cts and let me tell you. the teachers and other staff, help the students in any way they can. i am pride to say that i came from Cicely Tyson School of Perfroming and Fine Arts.

Posted June 18, 2008

My daughter is graduating tomorrow from Cicely Tyson and in the beginning she seemed to have a hard time in the beginning but has perservered through the 12th grade.I am so pleased that certain teachers took the extra effort to continue to support and encourage her.I truly believe that this school can use some improvement,but i am happy that my child has made it through

Posted November 29, 2007

I am also a parent at Cicely Tyson high school and in fact my daughter is a senior. I can honestly say Cicely Tyson impelled her to become a responsible student. Cicely Tyson preparedd my daughter far more than many schools I know. My daughter has completed internships, she has resume, she is the founding president of two organizations within the school. Although it has been a great challenge I am proud that my daughter had the opportunities to experience things I never have. Because of the theater instructor my daughter is applying and very well prepared in colleges: Julliard, mason gross, purchase, howard, and temple. The theater program has opened her eyes and helped her to stand a chance. Cicely is not in best conditions but the education is beneficial.

Posted June 25, 2007

The school is horrible. Typical Public Institution. The school does not offer any program(s) for children who have excelled academically. Administration lacks care, concern.

Posted November 9, 2006

I am an alumi student from Tyson and I'm now getting ready to graduate for a pretty well know four year institution. I feel that there were definitely some teachers who helped to prepare me for the transition from high school to college and others that did not so much. I would reccomend that the school upgrade their curriculum and that they make their standards higher, so that more students can be better prepared for the transistion into college. I did enjoy my years grades 6-12 very much in Tyson and do not regret being a student there at all! I just wish that I was not in for such a shock when I entered college. There are plenty extracurricular activities at tyson, and I feel that the level of parent involvment was mediore, but then I didn't see everyting involving parental involvement, so I can't be 100% sure.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 27, 2006

Cicely Tyson is one of the best schools in the East Orange School district. There is so much room for personal and academic growth there. The students are required to participate in performing or fine arts, so anything like: drawing, danceing, singing, acting, playing an instrument are all availible for children. There are many opportunities availible for parents to be a part of their child's school life. Academically, Tyson was the first high school in East Orange now to offer Advanced Placement classes for students. It is a wonderful learning enviorment and I am glad to be a part of that family.
—Submitted by a former student

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 66% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Assessment of Skills and Knowledge (NJ ASK) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts literacy and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in science. The NJ ASK is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 65% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 82% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

All Students52%

Special education24%
General education76%
Non-migrant68%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the New Jersey Department of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students51%

Special education35%
General education71%
Non-migrant64%

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 92% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA) to test students in grade 11 in language arts literacy and math. The HSPA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New Jersey. Students are required to pass the HSPA in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

All Students92%

Special education39%
General education87%
Non-migrant82%

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 58% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

n/a
Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) to assess students in Biology. The New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) is standards-based, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Biology I

Non-economically disadvantaged12%
General education16%
Non-migrant15%

Source: New Jersey Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

SAT participation

SAT college ready

Graduation rate

1 This rating is based on 2012-13 NJ ASK, HSPA, and/or NJBCT results from the New Jersey Department of Education.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in math and reading from from the New Jersey Department of Education.

3 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, ACT/SAT participation, and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 9%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 57%N/A34%

• Dr Stephen Cowan

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

35 Winans Street