No rating

St Helena School

Private | PK-8

Living in Edison

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $380,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,730.

Posted June 12, 2014

So disappointed with our whole experience at St. Helena School. My son is in kindergarten and was so very excited to start school in September. Unfortunately, due to the overall negative environment there, he was left with a horrible first impression about school. His teacher, though nice as a person, was very negative in her tone while talking to her students and caused him to be more fearful and dread school more than anything else. The principal is also very negative with her tone and does not even entertain parent complaints for a second. Instead she reprimands parents like she is speaking with the students in her school. I regret sending my son there! In addition to the negative environment, the academics are below public school standards. If you are concerned with wonderful penmanship which is the focus, this is the school for you. If you are concerned with creative writing, self-steem building and fostering the enthusiasm for learning I urge you to look elsewhere!.......disgusted and disappointed parent

Posted June 12, 2014

The teachers at St. Helena know each student individually, even if they don't personally teach the student. The school is a close knit environment and has a great reputation with past students. In fact, some students are children and grandchildren of alumni.

Posted February 11, 2014

We have been disappointed just like other parents. Our child is in kindergarten and he is really suffering a lot since last few months. Just like other kids, he was happy and excited when he start the school but now a days, he do refuse to go to school every day. I know it is not his fault but he is scared to go to school and face the same staff, who has been humiliated him several time. We never raise the issue to staff teachers or principal but I am sure, it won t make any difference. We spoiled our child one year in this school. He would have gain a lot by going to any other public or private school. Save your money, time and child s feature

Posted November 11, 2013

My son is in pre-k there, and all I can say is SAVE YOUR MONEY and don't send your kids there. It seams that they go out of their way to make your life difficult!. They can't never work with you and the principal is an old lady really set up on her ways. The parents have cero access to the teachers, you feel that they don't know you or your child. I'm really upset with the school. I can't wait for the year to be over so I can take him out of there.

Posted November 7, 2013

I don't usually do reviews but I stumbled upon this site and saw a negative review of Mrs. Monteleone, a PreK teacher at St. Helena School, I totally do not agree to it and I am sure the same goes for other parents whose child was in her class. Mrs. Monteleone was my child's PreK teacher. She is very supportive, encouraging and helpful to the children. She makes studying in PreK fun. My child always looks forward to going to school everyday and up to this day remembers the happy memories from their PreK class. She is very much loved by her students.

Posted June 27, 2012

I transferred my son to St. Helena two years ago after watching him sink academically and socially at his former school. The academic and social strides that he has made at St. Helena can only be described as phenomenal. The administration and staff, work brilliantly together to encourage, challenge, meet and exceed the needs of each student The facility is state of the art, the curriculum, cutting edge, and extra activities abound. The Pastor is present and involved. Principal is a wonderful listener and communicator and her love and devotion to the children and school gives off its own light. Parental involvement is always welcomed and encouraged.

Posted June 21, 2012

Outstanding young teachers. These new teachers are truly into teaching the children and yet allowing them to have fun along the way. Wouldn't go to any other school I thanks Sr. Charles and Father Anthony for bringing new blood into the school . All of the teachers are outstanding. If the children are kept interested in their class they will learn and make it a pleasant experience for themselves also..

Posted May 24, 2012

I would not recommend this school. My son went to Kindergarten and teacher started emphasizing to repeat KG. I was concerned that end of the school year she is recommending like this. When I asked what would be different if my son repeats KG she started talking some special programs. When I asked why didn't she enroll my son this year or informed me about this program she didn't have any answer. When I spoke to principle she was talking about standards etc. Same day, I went to another school and enrolled my son there. Please be careful before spending thousands of dollars.

Posted June 28, 2011

My son goes to St Helena. It has been a great year. I intend to continue my child's schooling at this school. The teacher are good. They teach good. And my child likes to go to the school. There are also other great public school around like the Martin Luther King.

Posted October 21, 2010

My child transferred to St. Helena's last school year and our experience could not have been better. The academics are high, the physical plant is clean and modern, and the staff, administration and teachers really care about the students and their families. The students are encouraged to be respectful, caring and responsible to one another. St. Helena's was our best decision for her education and our peace of mind.

Posted December 15, 2009

The school is composed of teachers and administrators who try very hard to create a safe, caring and academically focused environment. The school has clean classrooms, bathrooms and kitchen. What a difference from our public schools! When teachers and parents care about heir children's environment and allow themselves to get involved, the results are nothing more than extraordinary.

Posted September 10, 2008

My son has been going to this school since Pre-K. In Edison, we are fortunate to have outstanding public schools, which made our decision to send our son here very hard. Ultimately we decided to try it for a couple of years and have never regretted the decision. The curreiculum is about a half to a full grade level higher than the public schools, but most importantly, the school focusses on each child and creating a responsible, complete Human Being. All phases of a child's education are attended to, and the teacher's and pricincipal make certain that the usual 'social' issues that may be found at public schools are not a concern. I am especially surprised and concerned at the person who submitted the extremely negative review and would as them if they have tried to address their precieved issues with the school.

Posted September 2, 2008

I would not recomened this school to anyone.The staff is horrible and the students are intimidating the new comers.

Posted July 31, 2008

This is the excellent school, which has established my son's values and ethics along with strong academic skills. This is the type of the enviornment parents should provide their children, so we can have a balance community.

Posted January 20, 2008

i am a student of shs (st. helana school) i am in the 8th grade the teachers are great they are willing to help students in need of help
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 29, 2007

This school is a wonderful learning environment for our children. Their program enriches and provides the fundalmental foundation for a successful future.

Posted November 1, 2006

I go to SHS, and I have to so I am very pleased! The school has excellent education, extracurricular activities, teachers, and a friendly, welcoming environment. I love this school and if I got to choose my school, I'd still choose SHS. SHS provides music, art, spanish, and library. Some of the subjects many schools don't have! I'm on the basketball team, and I have to say, I learned how to play basketball in less than 2 weeks! The principal is strict, but caring. I love this school and I recemmend you let you're child go here. Although I'm only in 5th grade, I've been through so many experiences here and each day it makes me more mature and ready for the outside world!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 6, 2005

I have 2 children in St. Helenas school. We have been there for 6 years. It is a wonderful school and a great enviornment for the children.

Posted January 28, 2005

I feel the quality of education my child receives here is very good. We are newcomers and are very happy at St. Helena's. We transferred from another Catholic School and I think Catholic schools in general need to do a much better job with their financial management.

Posted December 9, 2004

As a parent, I feel the school has a high standard in its educational curriculums. However, I feel the school/church focuses too much on asking parishoners to give more dollar$ then people can afford. For instance, recently parents were asked to give the school tuitions 2 months prior to the due date. But excuse me, are we not forgetting that it's December (Xmas time), and people are not prepared to provide the tuitions yet? If it were not for the 'Tiles' from Italy and the Brass letters above the auditorium stage, the school wouldn't be in such high debt. I believe we shouldn't have spent so much $$'s on the new addition and that parent's and parishioners should've had a vote on decisions made in this school, and not soley decided by the priests. A CONCERNED PARENT

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 54% 9%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Metuchen

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

930 Grove Avenue