No rating

Benedictine Academy

Private | 9-12 | 191 students

Living in Elizabeth

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $209,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,150.

Posted August 25, 2014

I'm a Junior at BA & I've experienced things that make me want to warn anyone who has thought about attending. Some of the teachers &staff don't always think about what's best for us. I've had a teacher who would be nothing but rude to me because I would question her if what she said didn't make sense. I've been called a liar &been ignored by a member of their faculty. That same member has also been rude to my Mom. I've had a few friends who've had their things stolen from them. The school didn't do much about it. Though I must say, there is a close-knit relationship throughout the students, but that doesn't mean that there isn't any of the usual gossip & backstabbing. There is a big bug problem. Like, it gets disgusting. Staff/Faculty focuses more on getting as much money as possible & the Jefferson Award. The lunch is so expensive for the mess they give us. Most of the food doesn't even look like it's cooked. My friends & I have found hair in our food a couple of times& undone meals (mostly chicken nuggets & pizza). The school is a mess. It only earned 2 stars from me because of 4 teachers that are the best teachers I've had & meeting the girls that have become my best friends.

Posted May 19, 2014

I am currently a freshman at BA and this year wasn't at all what I thought my freshman year of high school would be like. What I like about this school is the close knit relationships between the staff and students. This school has an average athletics department but do not have anything to accommodate them. We do not have a field... we only posses a small gym with one side of bleachers. This school in terms of maintenance is very shoddy . I have seen many roaches in my first year here and think it is very disgusting. Everything in the school building is very dated and needs to be changed. We only have a nurse one day of the week. The school is money-grubbing; they make you pay for EVERYTHING except air. Due to the lack of a sports field, cockroaches, nurses one day a week... I am considering transferring out of this school.

Posted April 8, 2014

I am a parent of a freshman at Benedictine Academy and so happy with the choice we made sending our daughter to this school. We are very happy that she is thriving in her academics as well as in her athletics. The teachers are very involved and helpful especially if the girls need extra help with their classes. The girls are very friendly and seem to get along well with one another. Great sense of pride and community. The principal is very involved and concerned that the girls are getting a great education at BA. I feel my daughter will be well prepared for college. Great little school !!!

Posted April 8, 2014

I am the proud parent of a freshman at Benedictine Academy and so happy with the choice she made in deciding to attend this school. We are very happy that she is thriving in her academics as well as in her athletics. The girls are highly motivated, independent thinkers and all are very community oriented. The curriculum is extremely challenging but the teachers are very involved and helpful especially if the girls need extra help with their classes. The girls are very friendly and seem to get along well with one another. Great sense of pride and community and the girls are driven to excel both academically and spiritually. The principal is always available, very involved and concerned that the girls are getting a great education at BA. I feel my daughter will be well prepared for college. Benedictine Academy is a great little school, what it lacks in size it makes up for in spirit and determination !!!

Posted April 8, 2014

A very well-rounded, intimate school that pushes its students to not only strive for a successful college and professional career, but also to become involved with important social issues, as well as other club and athletic opportunities. All of this is accomplished under great school leadership and in a nurturing environment based on religious and moral values.

Posted January 26, 2014

As a graduate of this school I cannot begin to tell you what a great experience I had. I felt the teachers cared about me and I was prepared for college. The all-girl environment prepared me to thrive in college and succeed in my career. It was and is a great place for young ladies who will become the global leaders of tomorrow.

Posted January 26, 2014

What an amazing hidden gem. This little school has been here for as long as I can remember. The girls always look professional leaving school and they are great part of the community. The teachers care about their students are constantly offer their help. It's so nice to have my daughter attending school here. She is nurtured and supported and she has thrived since arriving here.

Posted December 11, 2013

Great school, great academics and great girls. The girls are such lovely young ladies and welcome you to the school. The teachers are so helpful a kind, and it is a wonderful catholic school even though it is smaller then most schools you will never be left out.

Posted May 22, 2010

Every year millions of dads send their daughters off for their first day in High School. We all dread this day, but its more than worry, the significance of this day can not be overstated. It signifies a monumental step into woman hood and a much larger march of independence into this mostly crazy world. Had I known then what I now know about BA I don't think I would have worried nearly as much. The Staff at BA does a wonderful job preparing the students for life after high school, beyond college. Words fail to express my appreciation for the job they did ensuring the well being of my little girl. Principle Jennings is a man among men. Honest, caring and one hell of a leader. I put my more than my faith in BA I sent my daughter to BA. What a great move it was.

Posted April 16, 2010

I find Benedictine Academy to be a very welcoming place. All students are made to feel they are part of a family. The academics are very strong: there are AP Honors classes, a Scholars Program, Medical Robotics in conjunction with N.J.I.T., and much more. The students also live their faith through many Campus Ministry service projects, reaching out to the local community and further. There are many cultural opportunities- school trips, guest speakers, etc, to round out a young woman's experience at the Academy. And, as an alumna, and now a current staff member at the school, I see that BA continues to offer an all-female college prep school experience where students develop both self confidence and leadership skills, both so valuable in today's world. The administration at BA is truly capable and committed to serving the best interests of each young woman and her family.

Posted August 6, 2009

I graduated from Benedictine Academy, and I felt it was the right fit for me. The faculty and staff were always supportive. They made us feel at home... if we had any difficulties with any specific subject they made it a priority to be their for us... from Math to English... the school is small so that you do not fall through the cracks, the curriculum is EXCELLENT... I was a very timid young lady... Benedictine Academy gave me the encouragement to be the independent woman I am today. Any young lady seeking an EXCELLENT education should consider Benedictine Academy. Parents - tuition is expensive, but it is an investment in your child's education and a very good investment, you do not need to worry about their security the campus has security and its on a beautiful property...

Posted June 29, 2009

I love this school. It is a great place to teach . All the teachers love it here at BA and that love translates to the students.. THe school motto speaks for itsels Listen Learn Love and Lead.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 17, 2009

I think that some of the reviews on this website are ludicrous. As a student at BA, I have seen the change in the Academy in my short time there. We now have a PhD on staff who teaches students. How many high schools can boast of that? The Academy offers Latin and Medical Robotics. The rigorous curriculum, quite frankly, speaks for itself. Teacher turnover WAS a problem, but it is not any longer. As of now only 2 teachers will not be returning to BA. A few posts referred to the Academy as a family, and that truly is what it is. Classmates become more than just friends; we become sisters. And this sisterhood spans that academic gaps. Girls don't see honors and regular students (as they do in some other Catholic HSs in the aread). If you're looking for a school, BA is the place to go.

Posted June 30, 2008

I don't attend there anymore i go to upper acedmy. Though when i did went there for my freshman year i belive it was a wonderful experience. I felt immediately welcome by the teachers and everyone/ so you feel safe there.Its a great school though the only down fall is that. I think the educated is not so high. I mean i learning more at my cureent school did i did there. I think b.A. Should offer more ap and honors classes.

Posted April 25, 2008

This was once a good school. However, I think they are behind the times when it comes to dealing with the youth. Students who are successful are the favorites while the rest suffer. If you are a parent, stay on top of your daughter work, and grades. If you are not liked by the staff, recommendation for good schools will not happen. They would perfer you go to a community college rather than a university. I hate to say this,but you will a blacks and whites(non-minorities) treated differently.

Posted February 1, 2008

I'm a former parent of the school. My daughter althought she is not graduating from the school misses the school a great deal. Her leaving had nothing to do with the value of the school. Myself I found the school to get better has time was passing by! Teachers there are like their big brother & sisters. Fom what I experienced it was a big family, everyone knew everyone! The total parent involvement was a low and with any bet those parent that do not get involve are the first to complain about everything & anything in any school! The same parents time over again & again were the ones involved in every activity & school functions. Even though BA is a small school, they do offer plenty of activites & sports, and if you do not find it too be enough, then have your child start one! Sincerely miss BA!

Posted November 3, 2007

For a high school there are very little extra curricular activities. Teachers do not stay and this is a problem when writing recommendations for college. In the past two years there have been two different guidance counselors.

Posted September 23, 2007

In the four years my daughter has been at the school very few teachers stay more than one or two years.

Posted September 12, 2007

This is a very good school. I love it so far. They hve good extracuricular activities and lots o fclubs. My school has plenty of sports for people who want to join, they have dance and choir. So they have lots for you to do.

Posted December 19, 2006

Benedictine Academy is a school fully commited to its mission. The faculty are gifted, well trained and underpaid. They, too, are dedicated to a purpose that goes beyond pocketbook and prestige. Tutorial help is available to all students free of charge. I know of no other school where girls from families of modest income can get the dedicated and nurturing education offered by Benedictine Academy. Kenneth Jennings and Sister Germaine set a tone of deep spirituality and love for the girls and love for the school and the community that it has grown from and become. May it thrive for another 90 years! It gives girls who sincerely want to succeed the chance of a lifetime.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 9%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
College counselor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• French
  • Spanish

Health & athletics

• Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 2:50 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 4:15 p.m.
  • All girls
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • College counselor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Tutor(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Art room
  • Audiovisual aids
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Performance stage
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Newark

• Dance

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

840 North Broad Street